Joined: 25 Apr 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GRE 1: 320 Q163 V157
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
, given: 12
Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
15 Oct 2013, 21:08
I would like my profile to be evaluated and the list of schools that I could probably look at for a Fall 2014 admit. I am not sure as to where my profile exactly stands and would like to know if I have a chance at the top 10/20 B-schools in the US.
GMAT (October 2013) - 670 (Q 48/V 34/AWA 5/ IR 3)
Planning to retake it in November and apply for round 2 deadlines.
GRE (April 2013) - Total - 320 (Q 163/V 157/AWA 4)
Background: Indian, Male, 25 years old
Education - BE Mechanical Engineering, Kongu Engineering College (Affiliated to Anna University), May 2009 pass out
GPA - 7.1/10 (Above Average)
Final Year Project/Paper at Wabco India Limited (A subsidiary of TVS motors, one of the leading Auto manufacturers in India) on "Multi-Criteria ABC Inventory Analysis", where the primary objective was to device a systematic method to reduce inventory and thereby reduce inventory costs
Additional Secretary of the Mechanical Engineering department
Part of the Placement coordination team
Indian Hotels Company Limited
1. 3 years full time work experience at Indian Hotels Company Limited (Taj group of hotels - Part of the Tata Group). Initiated as a Graduate Engineering Trainee and then was posted as an Assistant Engineer (Second in command in the Engineering division at the unit level), leading a team of 25-30 employees
2. Lead the department during transitory stages when the unit did not have a Chief Engineer for 4-6 months.
3. The job profile included, but was not limited to, installation and maintenance of engineering equipment (Light/Heavy Machinery) at the unit, including DGs, boilers, chiller plants, transformers etc. The profile also included budget allocation and resource distribution between the various teams in the department.
4. Certified Internal Auditor for OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001
5. Lead the team to achieve Earthcheck Silver Certification in 2012 (Environmental bench marking initiative)
6. Certified Gold level in Process Improvement
7. Have been the team leader/Project coordinator in 10+ installation/commissioning projects (Large/Medium/Small machinery)
After 3 years, quit the company in Feb 2013
1. After, quitting IHCL, I started to volunteer at an NGO called Bhumi. It's India's leading youth non-profit youth volunteer organization which aims at providing supplementary education during the weekends at orphanages and community centers in English, Maths, Science, Computers, Arts and Sports and Career Counselling.
2. Part time teaching volunteer at Bhumi
3. Zonal Coordinator for Maths and Science - In charge of operations at 4 orphanages, that consists of 50-60 volunteers and 110 kids
4. Overall Science Coordinator for Bhumi - Involves development of syllabus and classes in tandem with the kids' education; Training of new volunteers, Budget allocation and distribution between various centers, Resource Management, HR coordination, expansion of program to other cities and core team development.
5. Involved in a program called Joy to the World at Bhumi, which involves fund raising activities for operational purposes
6. Received the Emerging Einstein award in April 2013 (4 months after joining Bhumi
7. Joined as a teaching volunteer in Jan 2013 and was promoted to Zonal Coordinator and then Science coordinator within 6 months
Bhumi is volunteer driven organization, wherein 99% of the team consists of non-paid volunteers and everyone works part-time.
1. Currently learning Italian at Indo-Italian Chamber of Commerce (Beginner's level)
2. Learned French for 7 years at school (My French is a bit rusty though)
3. Part of Chennai Trekking Club (Non-profit) - wherein 2-5 day treks are organized on a weekly basis and I participate at least in one 2-3 days trek every month. I have not organized any treks but have been involved in the Photography and post-trek write up teams of all the treks that I have participated in.
As of now, I am currently volunteering for Bhumi and an active member of Chennai Trekking Club. I have taken a year's break from full-time employment to pursue my other interests. I would like to know as to how the admissions committee at the colleges would perceive it.
I am looking at MBA programs in Entrepreneurship, Leadership, Nonprofit and Government, General Management, Education and Engineering.
I would like to know as to what are the pros and cons of my profile and what are the aspects that I can highlight to the admissions committee in my SOPs and essays.
And I am planning to retake GMAT in November end as I am targeting a score of 730+. I would also like to know if it is safe to give the GMAT in November end and planning to apply for Round 2 deadlines.
I would also like to know as to what are the colleges that I should be targeting for, with my current GMAT score of 670 (As a safe bet)