Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 06:07

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with ISB Admissions Team  | |  Join Chat Room to attend this event

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 05-07-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 03:00
Hello,

24, Indian, Male here.

I will just list out my brief profile here.

Undergraduate Studies:

Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering with 68% from one of the average/decent colleges in India.

Work Experience: Analyst (2.5 years total)

Job 1: 6 months

- Assisted the web development team in coming up with GUI ideas for their website.

Job 2: 2 years

Two projects:

- Worked as a part of 6 member team: 6 months, interacted directly with the clients (Indian client). One thing I can focus here is that I lead the completion of deliverable for the last month, as the lead had left the company by then. So for that 1 month, I was responsible for the completion of the project and delivering the complete code to the client.

- Worked as a part of 2 member team: 1.5 years, interacting and reporting directly to the clients (Foreign client). One thing that I can focus here in that because of this team, the testing process of other teams in my project has been streamlined and they don't face as many issues as they used to before. What my work includes is compiling reports for various environments the client uses, rectify them. If not, then we bring in the development team to help us with the issue. Also, this project involves me making some amount of important decisions as well.

With both of them, as you can see with the smaller team size, I can elaborate on being a team player, adding value to the project/work, and handling responsibility.

Please note: Job 1 was sort of a paid internship that I did as I had 6 months free after completing college till joining work. I got selected through campus (Job 2), but had to delay joining because of personal issues. I eventually joined Job 2 6 months after completing college.

Promoted once after completing 1.5 years.

Extra curricular:

Not much here unfortunately.
- Part of the organizing committee for the college fest for two years.
- Part of the college football team for 2 years. Captained the team for 1 year.
- Part of and won quite a few prizes and competitions in school, but I am not sure if B-schools give much importance to that.
- In Job 2, mentored the new joinees for 1 year, walking them through the project life cycle, etc.
- Along with a few friends, I run a fan based page on Facebook about a team. We provide regular updates on the said football (soccer) team, and much valued information about the team, and also the history of the team. The page currently has 4.7L+ followers. It was started about almost 2 years back, and we are currently planning to expand it into a website as well. (We have purchased the domain, just filling in the contents)

I will be taking the GMAT on 7th May. Essentially I want to start the program Fall 2015. So that would mean a total WE of 3 years while applying, and 4 years by the time I start the program.

Now what I would like to know is, based on this profile, what all schools can I target (realistically and ambitiously). Of course since I don't have my GMAT scores yet, it will be difficult, but I still wanted to get an idea. Right now, with respect to GMAT, I am in good stead for scoring 700. Also, how can I enhance my profile? I will be joining an NGO, and will be volunteering after my GMAT as well, but is there anything else that I can add to make my application stand out? Like shift jobs, or something?

I am interested in Consulting and Finance (Consulting being my first and foremost preference) and hence request you to suggest schools with good focus on these two fields that I can target.

You advice and comments will be appreciated. Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 01:18
Expert's post
coolredwine wrote:
Hello,

24, Indian, Male here.

I will just list out my brief profile here.

Undergraduate Studies:

Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering with 68% from one of the average/decent colleges in India.

Work Experience: Analyst (2.5 years total)

Job 1: 6 months

- Assisted the web development team in coming up with GUI ideas for their website.

Job 2: 2 years

Two projects:

- Worked as a part of 6 member team: 6 months, interacted directly with the clients (Indian client). One thing I can focus here is that I lead the completion of deliverable for the last month, as the lead had left the company by then. So for that 1 month, I was responsible for the completion of the project and delivering the complete code to the client.

- Worked as a part of 2 member team: 1.5 years, interacting and reporting directly to the clients (Foreign client). One thing that I can focus here in that because of this team, the testing process of other teams in my project has been streamlined and they don't face as many issues as they used to before. What my work includes is compiling reports for various environments the client uses, rectify them. If not, then we bring in the development team to help us with the issue. Also, this project involves me making some amount of important decisions as well.

With both of them, as you can see with the smaller team size, I can elaborate on being a team player, adding value to the project/work, and handling responsibility.

Please note: Job 1 was sort of a paid internship that I did as I had 6 months free after completing college till joining work. I got selected through campus (Job 2), but had to delay joining because of personal issues. I eventually joined Job 2 6 months after completing college.

Promoted once after completing 1.5 years.

Extra curricular:

Not much here unfortunately.
- Part of the organizing committee for the college fest for two years.
- Part of the college football team for 2 years. Captained the team for 1 year.
- Part of and won quite a few prizes and competitions in school, but I am not sure if B-schools give much importance to that.
- In Job 2, mentored the new joinees for 1 year, walking them through the project life cycle, etc.
- Along with a few friends, I run a fan based page on Facebook about a team. We provide regular updates on the said football (soccer) team, and much valued information about the team, and also the history of the team. The page currently has 4.7L+ followers. It was started about almost 2 years back, and we are currently planning to expand it into a website as well. (We have purchased the domain, just filling in the contents)

I will be taking the GMAT on 7th May. Essentially I want to start the program Fall 2015. So that would mean a total WE of 3 years while applying, and 4 years by the time I start the program.

Now what I would like to know is, based on this profile, what all schools can I target (realistically and ambitiously). Of course since I don't have my GMAT scores yet, it will be difficult, but I still wanted to get an idea. Right now, with respect to GMAT, I am in good stead for scoring 700. Also, how can I enhance my profile? I will be joining an NGO, and will be volunteering after my GMAT as well, but is there anything else that I can add to make my application stand out? Like shift jobs, or something?

I am interested in Consulting and Finance (Consulting being my first and foremost preference) and hence request you to suggest schools with good focus on these two fields that I can target.

You advice and comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey good sir,
Thanks for writing us here,

So let me be honest with you, you have a bit of a tough profile. As an Indian male in IT with so-so grades from a so-so college, and little extras currics, things are tough to begin with. It's not that you can't get into a very good college, but the top 20-30 or so will be out of range for you. That means that a lot will be riding on your GMAT. If you can break a 720 it will make a world of difference from say a 680. So you have to just take that test and see how it goes before you really think about where you can apply.

But I'd say don't worry about that juuuuuust yet. Instead concentrate all your energies on the GMAT, and see how that goes. And then we can see more specifically about schools.

Good luck!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 01:38
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey good sir,
Thanks for writing us here,

So let me be honest with you, you have a bit of a tough profile. As an Indian male in IT with so-so grades from a so-so college, and little extras currics, things are tough to begin with. It's not that you can't get into a very good college, but the top 20-30 or so will be out of range for you. That means that a lot will be riding on your GMAT. If you can break a 720 it will make a world of difference from say a 680. So you have to just take that test and see how it goes before you really think about where you can apply.

But I'd say don't worry about that juuuuuust yet. Instead concentrate all your energies on the GMAT, and see how that goes. And then we can see more specifically about schools.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, Jon. It's much appreciated. : )

I am not really worrying about it right now, but it's still in the back of my mind just how weak the profile is. I am aiming step by step, and just concentrating on a good GMAT score - as high as possible. After that I will be volunteering for different activities, and most probably shifting the field of work as well (probably something else than IT). Now, how would that affect my application?

Thanks.
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 01:43
Expert's post
Well it depends on what you get for a job of course. :)

But anything with a bit more responsibility, leadership or salary is always helpful...

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Manager
Manager

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 01:50
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Well it depends on what you get for a job of course. :)

But anything witha bit more responsibility, leadership or salary is always helpful...

Of course I will choosing my next work very carefully. Not that I can really choose, but you get the point.

Do they really consider the salary? It's not that I am in a low off range, but I am just asking - how much does previous salary play a part in applications and admits?
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 01:52
Expert's post
It's not so much the salary itself, as the PROGRESS they see you make, and they know that a salary is an indication of this progress.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Manager
Manager

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2014, 01:55
Ah. I see.

Thanks again, Jon. I will be bumping this thread when I get done with my GMAT.

Ciao till then.
Expert Post
Admissionado

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 10:44
Expert's post
coolredwine wrote:
Ah. I see.

Thanks again, Jon. I will be bumping this thread when I get done with my GMAT.

Ciao till then.

ciao till then ;)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com