Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 05:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Oxford
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 85

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2014, 03:07
Hi,

Male, Moroccan, 27years old

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?
I have more than 3 years of experience and I'm occupying a position of PMO (Project Manager Officer) for which I have been promoted to from a position of Project Manager one year ago in a Moroccan Bank.

2) Your GMAT.
GMAT : 620 Q45 V30 AWA 6.0 IR 2

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.
In 2010, I obtained a Bachelor of Science, "Ingénieur d'Etat", Chemical and Process Engineering from Mohammadia School of Engineering ( the largest institution of higher education in technology and one of the leading technical schools in Morocco and in Africa, founded in 1959) after attending highly competitive and quantitative preparatory classes before taking a very selective National Exam for entry to the most prestigious engineering schools in Morocco : GPA : 3.6/4

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
Active member of Charity by Friend : We organize social events to raise money for charitable purposes and to disseminate information about on-going

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
--
6) Your target programs. Please note that my experience is with the top MBA programs (FT, PT, EMBA, Sloan Fellows) around the world. If the programs you are targeting are not listed here, I may not respond due to lack of time.
A- FT - Schulich Business of school, Canada
B- FT - Said Business School, UK
C- FT - AGSM, Australia
D- FT - Cranfield Business School, UK

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.
R1 2014 - 15

8) Your post-MBA goal.
Start my own company

I wanted to know if my profile is competitive enough for the school listed above.

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 04:29
Expert's post
Rock750 wrote:
Hi,

Male, Moroccan, 27years old

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?
I have more than 3 years of experience and I'm occupying a position of PMO (Project Manager Officer) for which I have been promoted to from a position of Project Manager one year ago in a Moroccan Bank.

2) Your GMAT.
GMAT : 620 Q45 V30 AWA 6.0 IR 2

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.
In 2010, I obtained a Bachelor of Science, "Ingénieur d'Etat", Chemical and Process Engineering from Mohammadia School of Engineering ( the largest institution of higher education in technology and one of the leading technical schools in Morocco and in Africa, founded in 1959) after attending highly competitive and quantitative preparatory classes before taking a very selective National Exam for entry to the most prestigious engineering schools in Morocco : GPA : 3.6/4

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
Active member of Charity by Friend : We organize social events to raise money for charitable purposes and to disseminate information about on-going

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.
--
6) Your target programs. Please note that my experience is with the top MBA programs (FT, PT, EMBA, Sloan Fellows) around the world. If the programs you are targeting are not listed here, I may not respond due to lack of time.
A- FT - Schulich Business of school, Canada
B- FT - Said Business School, UK
C- FT - AGSM, Australia
D- FT - Cranfield Business School, UK

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.
R1 2014 - 15

8) Your post-MBA goal.
Start my own company

I wanted to know if my profile is competitive enough for the school listed above.

Hello there good sir,

So let's start with the good stuff. I think your profile is overall pretty compelling. You come from a good industry, from a country from which not that many MBA applicants come, with what seems to be good work progress, and with a diploma from a good school with good grades! Great start!

Your big weakness? Your GMAT. Which is actually great. Because it is the easiest weakness to correct. No that the GMAT is easy! :) But with a low GPA there's not much you can do. And since you have so much time till the next round of applications I would totally urge you to retake the GMAT at least one more time (although you honestly would have the time to take it twice if need be, which hopefully it will not be). with 40 points higher, your profile will be MUCH more attractive, and if you can get even more, so much the better. This is an investment which is TOTALLY worth it, as it can change your salary level, the job you get, and basically your whole life. So it's worth a wee bit of extra investment, right? ;)

Make sense?
Hope so,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 06:24
Thank you very much for your response Jon

So, from what you wrote, do i need to retake the gmat to be more competitive for the schools i listed or to be more competitive for say Top 10 or Top 20, because i have a friend who got much fewer than me in her gmat test and still got into one of the schools i listed ( we both have approximately the same profile ). If it is for top 10 or top 20 then i may retake it since i did a huge investment to come up with such a score and for these schools i guess it worth it 100% . If still i can get one of the school i listed with my current score then i can relax and work in my essays without any hurry so that i can make them perfect. What should i do ? if u say i have to retake , i will do it

Thanks again

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 516 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 05:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Rock750 wrote:
Thank you very much for your response Jon

So, from what you wrote, do i need to retake the gmat to be more competitive for the schools i listed or to be more competitive for say Top 10 or Top 20, because i have a friend who got much fewer than me in her gmat test and still got into one of the schools i listed ( we both have approximately the same profile ). If it is for top 10 or top 20 then i may retake it since i did a huge investment to come up with such a score and for these schools i guess it worth it 100% . If still i can get one of the school i listed with my current score then i can relax and work in my essays without any hurry so that i can make them perfect. What should i do ? if u say i have to retake , i will do it

Thanks again

Hello there,
Basically to have a reasonable chance of getting into a top 10, the minimum that is reasonable is a 670, and if you can beat a 710, all the better. For Top 20, they are of course more flexible, but your position will be greatly improved the better your GMAT is, and once you get into the higher scores, you open up possibilities of getting offered scholarships, which is fantastic. You should imho, definitely 100% retake the GMAT, giving yourself enough time to prepare so you can get the best score you have in you. It's totally worth it.

Best,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 05:48
Will do so then :)

Thanks for ur insight , i will keep you informed if something changes.

Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2014, 00:24
Expert's post
Rock750 wrote:
Will do so then :)

Thanks for ur insight , i will keep you informed if something changes.

Wahoo! Go to it! Beat the heck out of the GMAT!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com