Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 15:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2014, 21:13
Hi, this is my profile and I am interested in applying for MBA to colleges in Europe/US/Asia (so basically anywhere will do) :|

23 yrs old, Indian, Male

Graduation : BE (Mechanical Engineering) with an aggregate score of 67% (does it need to be converted to GPA or something?)

Work-Ex : 2 yrs to be completed this year in a Process Technology consultant company as a Machinery / Rotating Equipment Engineer.

Extra Curricular Activities : An ardent sports enthusiast. Represented and captained school cricket team and later college football / soccer team during Graduation. Still playing football / soccer in a club (Falcons) founded by me and my friends in the first division of MDFA (Mumbai Division Football Association) Leagues. I also run an in house magazine our department which me and my colleagues initiated.

Why MBA : I believe that I am suited to managerial tasks which involve understanding workflows / people and also at taking strong,quick decisions with a sense of responsibility / empathy with the right amount of detachment from personal emotions and biases.

Profile : General Management/Finance

Please evaluate my profile on the following points :

1. Is it too early to do an MBA(my mind is made up, but what would a b school think?)?

2. What kind or how much impact would a GMAT score have on my profile. For example, with my limited experience what kind of scores are needed to get into top 15 b schools in the world? Or is it improbable (not impossible) to expect a top 15 admit no matter what the score because of my profile?

3. If I were to look for profile switch by looking for admission to Finance in a b school, maybe not right now but 2-3 yrs down the line is it a must to have relevant experience in the Finance field only or would it be ok if I continue in the same industry?

A frank evaluation on what kind of range(in terms of ranking) can i expect if i were to apply for fall 2015.

Thanks,

Sudarshan
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 15:05
Expert's post
Hello Sudarshan,

I’ll answer your specific questions in order:

1. You would be a relatively young applicant – you would face certain challenges of younger applicants. That doesn’t necessarily mean you are “too young” – it would depend on the specifics of your candidacy. Reading the info at the link above will walk you through some points to determine if you are a viable younger applicant or if you are too young.
2. To be viable at top MBA programs, you would need a pretty high GMAT – 720 or above – given your over-represented demographic and the fact that this Indian demographic tends to score high on GMAT. For top programs, even a very high GMAT won’t “make up” for less than outstanding work experience. Note that “more” doesn’t equal “outstanding.” Your work track record must be outstanding relative to accomplished peers, regardless of duration. The quality your work experience will be a major factor in your qualification for a top MBA program (i.e., strong track record of leadership and impact). If the experience is somewhat short, these factors must be all the stronger.
3. Many successful applicants to top b-schools are career switchers. You don’t need to have work experience in your preferred career, but you do need to demonstrate detailed understanding of the industry, make a strong and credible case for WHY you are changing paths, and discuss HOW you will make the change, i.e., how you will effectively market yourself to finance companies.

Aside from the above, I don’t have enough information about you to suggest a range for 2015. I hope the above answers help you in your MBA planning.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog