Female/Mexican, 27 years old, 28 in May
1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?
At top Public Relations agency in Los Angeles:
International Film Full-Time Intern, January - June 2012 (6 months)
At top Marketing, Sponsorship and Talent representation Agency in Los Angeles:
Full-Time Intern September – December 2012 (3 months)
Administrative Assistant January – September 2013 (9 months)
Entertainment Support Specialist September 2013 – Interrupted due to H1B visa denial
I'll be starting at a non for profit as a Community Sponsorships Coordinator in June.
The gap is due to the denial of the visa, I spent the last 6 months waiting on the company's lawyer to try to get it approved who was ultimately unable to, went on set for productions and travelled on-and-off during that time.
I interned for such a long time because I wasn't authorized for any other type of work.
2) Your GMAT: 700
3) College info: Tec de Monterrey (ITESM) in Mexico City, Marketing major, May 2011 graduation, 84/100 average
UCLA Extension, Business and Management of Entertainment Certificate, June 2012 graduation, 3.5 GPA
4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.
Child mentor for charitable organization, organizes an art program at public schools in the LA area (once a week)
Founder of Tennis Club within Interpublic agencies
Online English Tutor for underprivileged children in margenilized communities while in college
5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA. None
6) Your target programs. UCLA Anderson, Duke Fuqua, UNC Chapel Hill, USC Marshall
7) When you plan to apply? Round 1 - Oct 2014
8) Your post-MBA goal. Would like to go into consulting to get experience (Bain & Co's Marketing & Brand Strategy) and would ultimately like to start a company connecting brands and personalities to charitable foundations.
If it matters: TOEFL is 109. I'm most concerned about my work experience, I have solid measurable accomplishments and strong recommendations but I feel it is intermitent and not as straight forward as others' and I know they look down on internships even if I have accomplishments.