Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 22:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 15
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 19

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 00:24
Hello there

I need help in evaluating my profile.

# Nationality- Indian
# GMAT- 740 (50Q,40V)
# Undergrad- Civil Engg. from non IIT college (but one of the top private universities in India)
# College GPA- 6.96/10 (No real excuse/explanations for low GPA)
# College ECs- Just one certificate in event management in college's technical fest.
# Work Ex- 3 years (First 8 months at a construction MNC as a trainee and since then, trying hands at real estate entrepreneurship)

I am aware that my chances are bleak but my target schools are Booth, Stern, Anderson, IMD, INSEAD, LBS.

I would like a very real evaluation of profile. Also, please suggest where should I set my expectations (if not the above mentioned programs) and possible (very specific) ways to mend my profile.

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3251
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 540 [0], given: 29

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2014, 23:06
Expert's post
RB3007 wrote:
Hello there

I need help in evaluating my profile.

# Nationality- Indian
# GMAT- 740 (50Q,40V)
# Undergrad- Civil Engg. from non IIT college (but one of the top private universities in India)
# College GPA- 6.96/10 (No real excuse/explanations for low GPA)
# College ECs- Just one certificate in event management in college's technical fest.
# Work Ex- 3 years (First 8 months at a construction MNC as a trainee and since then, trying hands at real estate entrepreneurship)

I am aware that my chances are bleak but my target schools are Booth, Stern, Anderson, IMD, INSEAD, LBS.

I would like a very real evaluation of profile. Also, please suggest where should I set my expectations (if not the above mentioned programs) and possible (very specific) ways to mend my profile.

Thanks!


Hello sir,
So first of all congrats on your fantastic GMAT! That will pretty much boost your profile as high as it can go!

Now, if you want a real evaluation, I will need a LOT more info - esp. about your work experience, your volunteer work, your ECs…

I can say right now, that from what you have written here, your school list is a bit ambitious. As a non-IIT graduate with so-so grades, schools like Booth and LBS are going to be far stretches, even with a 740. And IMD may not be a great fit, as students tend to be a LOT older than you are (average is 31), although you can of course apply and see.
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 15
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 19

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2014, 00:25
JonAdmissionado wrote:
RB3007 wrote:
Hello there

I need help in evaluating my profile.

# Nationality- Indian
# GMAT- 740 (50Q,40V)
# Undergrad- Civil Engg. from non IIT college (but one of the top private universities in India)
# College GPA- 6.96/10 (No real excuse/explanations for low GPA)
# College ECs- Just one certificate in event management in college's technical fest.
# Work Ex- 3 years (First 8 months at a construction MNC as a trainee and since then, trying hands at real estate entrepreneurship)

I am aware that my chances are bleak but my target schools are Booth, Stern, Anderson, IMD, INSEAD, LBS.

I would like a very real evaluation of profile. Also, please suggest where should I set my expectations (if not the above mentioned programs) and possible (very specific) ways to mend my profile.

Thanks!


Hello sir,
So first of all congrats on your fantastic GMAT! That will pretty much boost your profile as high as it can go!

Now, if you want a real evaluation, I will need a LOT more info - esp. about your work experience, your volunteer work, your ECs…

I can say right now, that from what you have written here, your school list is a bit ambitious. As a non-IIT graduate with so-so grades, schools like Booth and LBS are going to be far stretches, even with a 740. And IMD may not be a great fit, as students tend to be a LOT older than you are (average is 31), although you can of course apply and see.



Thank you for your reply Jon!

At this point of time, that is all I have in my profile. Currently, I am struggling to get a foothold in real estate and construction business. Could you tell me a few schools that could be my best bet with this profile? Don't want to be going below top 50 for sure.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3251
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 540 [1] , given: 29

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 00:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
RB3007 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
RB3007 wrote:
Hello there

I need help in evaluating my profile.

# Nationality- Indian
# GMAT- 740 (50Q,40V)
# Undergrad- Civil Engg. from non IIT college (but one of the top private universities in India)
# College GPA- 6.96/10 (No real excuse/explanations for low GPA)
# College ECs- Just one certificate in event management in college's technical fest.
# Work Ex- 3 years (First 8 months at a construction MNC as a trainee and since then, trying hands at real estate entrepreneurship)

I am aware that my chances are bleak but my target schools are Booth, Stern, Anderson, IMD, INSEAD, LBS.

I would like a very real evaluation of profile. Also, please suggest where should I set my expectations (if not the above mentioned programs) and possible (very specific) ways to mend my profile.

Thanks!


Hello sir,
So first of all congrats on your fantastic GMAT! That will pretty much boost your profile as high as it can go!

Now, if you want a real evaluation, I will need a LOT more info - esp. about your work experience, your volunteer work, your ECs…

I can say right now, that from what you have written here, your school list is a bit ambitious. As a non-IIT graduate with so-so grades, schools like Booth and LBS are going to be far stretches, even with a 740. And IMD may not be a great fit, as students tend to be a LOT older than you are (average is 31), although you can of course apply and see.



Thank you for your reply Jon!

At this point of time, that is all I have in my profile. Currently, I am struggling to get a foothold in real estate and construction business. Could you tell me a few schools that could be my best bet with this profile? Don't want to be going below top 50 for sure.


Oh, I don't think you need to go THAAAAT low. But Top 10 will be tough - cause they will have candidates with the same 740, but who also graduate from IITs with great GPAs. I think your sweet spot should be (approximately) in schools ranked say 10-30. So veeery respectable and excellent schools!

Like I wrote, if you want something a wee bit more precise, feel free to inundate me with detail about your work,

I hope this helps,
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 15
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 19

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 01:33
JonAdmissionado wrote:
RB3007 wrote:
Hello there



Oh, I don't think you need to go THAAAAT low. But Top 10 will be tough - cause they will have candidates with the same 740, but who also graduate from IITs with great GPAs. I think your sweet spot should be (approximately) in schools ranked say 10-30. So veeery respectable and excellent schools!

Like I wrote, if you want something a wee bit more precise, feel free to inundate me with detail about your work,

I hope this helps,
[/quote]

Thanks a lot Jon! I can't thank you enough for the good work you are doing. Your post has come as a big relief! Everywhere I see, people tend to have super human profiles. So top 20/30 definitely sounded like a distant dream to me, never mind the score.

I would provide you details of my work.

# For the first 8 months after graduation, I worked for a construction MNC as a trainee engineer. Being very dissatisfied with the environment and watching very senior guys (almost all of them) cursing themselves for being in this field, I decided to quit without wasting any further time.
# I shifted to real estate entrepreneurship (2 years ago). I have been investing in real estate (with some guidance) and these investments have turned out to be profitable. Also, I am involved in small scale residential construction projects which I give out on contract. So, I am basically involved with the finance part, the material purchasing part and the quality control part of construction.

I did not attend IIT but was in the IIT entrance exam's extended list in my first attempt. Call it naivety, I did not know that it would impact my career in such a big away otherwise I would have dropped a year to retake the exam like many others to get into one of the IITs. I wonder if adcoms know that around 30 percent of IITians crack the entrance exam in their second attempt. So maybe they are not the smartest lot in India, but with due respect are persistent to get into IITs.

The reason for low GPA is that there was a total disconnect with the highly technical engineering course. Putting it straight, I lost my interest in it after the first semester itself. I managed to improve my GPAs for last two semesters and they were around 7.5 (if that makes a difference at all). Barring the college years, I have maintained an excellent academic record and was awarded once by the Governor of the state, the state where I live, for outstanding academic performance. Managed to do well on GMAT too. I am confident of performing well during MBA.

Pheww, I think I have spoken a lot. I would be really grateful if you could give me an idea of schools I should target at. I would definitely want to apply to my best bet and to at least one school that is better than my best bet. Also, I have decided to attend an American school because US offers the best working opportunities. After b school, I want to pursue a career in management consulting preferably with a handsome package :D). Delaying MBA would not be a good idea for me because I don't see a way to improve my profile substantially in a couple of years. Any suggestion or advice from your end is most welcome. Please tell me if any other detail is needed.

Again, thanks a lot! :-)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3251
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 540 [1] , given: 29

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2014, 02:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Glad to help, good sir,

So you DO have some challenges in your profile, but nothing that cannot be overcome. I think the work experience CAN be tough. I mean "Investing in Real Estate" privately can be anything from running your own business to working one day out of twenty and finding something to buy with the family fortune. :)

And it can be harder without kind of this "professional" or corporate experience behind you. On the other hand, your story is YOURS to tell. And you have a lot of flex room, not in the facts, but in the way you present them, and a LOT will ride on your ability to present your RE work as "real work" rather than the other way. What the schools want to know is that you are someone who is serious and dedicated and that your professional plans are plausible. Basically they want to have some sort of intuition about your ability to succeed.

Second piece of advice, is that since you are a bit nontraditional as a candidate and your story can be perceived in several ways, it would be to the best of your advantage to apply to MORE schools than most people. Most folks go out and apply to 4-6 schools, and I'd suggest 7+ for you. You are starting early enough, so it shouldn't be a problem. And this for you, will be one of the best ways to ensure an admit, and to increase your chances of getting money.

Overall, that's that. From here on in, it's gotta be work in the details.

I hope this helps dude,
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 15
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 19

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2014, 03:38
Thanks you Jon for a very pragmatic evaluation and good advice. :-)
Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3251
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 540 [0], given: 29

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2014, 22:25
Expert's post
Happy to help, good sir.

Let me know if there's anything else.
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2014
Posts: 15
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 19

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 03:45
Hi Jon,

How you doing?

In extension to our conversation, if I come up with good essays, should I target Kelley, Goizueta, Kenan Flagar, Tepper? Do I need to move up/down? Better still, could you give me an idea of my stretch, target and safe schools?

Thanks a lot!
Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3251
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 540 [0], given: 29

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 06:46
Expert's post
RB3007 wrote:
Hi Jon,

How you doing?

In extension to our conversation, if I come up with good essays, should I target Kelley, Goizueta, Kenan Flagar, Tepper? Do I need to move up/down? Better still, could you give me an idea of my stretch, target and safe schools?

Thanks a lot!


I think that's a pretty fair list. MAke sure you apply to those schools round 1, so you are getting some kind of results as R2 approaches and you can make adjustments/ add safer schools. But with great essays, I think this list should be about good for you,

Best,
Jon.
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile Evaluation dannyh1980 3 19 Apr 2006, 22:49
1 Profile Evaluation lazy_k 0 17 Oct 2005, 04:20
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile Evaluation lazy_k 2 17 Oct 2005, 04:08
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile evaluation kwest80 1 25 Sep 2005, 16:02
Experts publish their posts in the topic Evaluate profile kamranbl-mba 3 24 Sep 2005, 04:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Profile Evaluation

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.