Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2014, 13:57
I have a very unconventional background. Engineering +design..
My gmat is a bit low for HBS, i think. Considering average is 730, i wonder i should lower my expectation.. Do i have a chance to get in at HBS?

1) Basic demographic info: 26 female Asian(non citizen no green card)

2) Educational Background :
- BS. industrial design(in the top engineering school in korea, 23rd in the world)
- gmat 700(49/36) IR 5 AWA 5
- summa cum laude(GPA 3.85), top of the class, dean's list scholarship,
- Master (gpa 3.9/4, stopped after two semester, and moved to NYC to get a job. I have several valid reasons for this choice, first i was not learning new, still top of the class, and got an internship offer in nyc. So i took a leap. I worry that i can come off as too arrogant, but the truth is i just needed a new experienpce desparately. Is this a big red flag??)

3) Work experience:
- 2 year, mid-level industrial designer at a design consultancy in NYC(my first job)
- design consulting for multinational companies, most clients are very well known companies, lots of interesting projects in beauty/luxury/fashion industry to consumer products and electronics(e.g. Alexander mcqueen, lg, rubbermaid etc...)
- successfully designed and launched some of products in the market.
- pitched design to Sarah burton, the creative director of alexander McQueen, in person.
- worked on a design project for New Harvard tech start-up(does it help to mention harvard start-up? Even my involvement was not significant?)

4) Extracurriculars:
- holds the patent(self-filed)
- lots of international design awards, international exhibitions
- NGO involvement, Design donation project, probono industrial designer & project support in general(web support) (raised million dollar profit to donate by designing and launching a new product in the market, Worked with a team of a professor and other grad students, and NGO Worldvision)
- nyc landmark ngo volunteer
- volunteer while in college, for mentally disabled (4 days on site)
- first chair of orchestra for violincello department, in college

5) Short/Long term goals: non profit(social impact) start-up

6) Schools: HBS, mit, wharton, yale, colombia, georgetown (i took off stanford recently, i think it is over reach for me and personally prefer more liberal art environment than tech/quant heavy)

7) extra : went to a high school for gifted students at math and science, early graduated. Admitted at the college at age 17. With scholarship from government minister of science

8) leadership : i have some personal stories that will really support on leadership qualities, came to nyc by myself for job hunting etc, lots of stories in my nyc life as a foreigner
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes