Joined: 11 Aug 2013
, given: 0
Profile evaluation [#permalink]
26 Jul 2014, 13:57
I have a very unconventional background. Engineering +design..
My gmat is a bit low for HBS, i think. Considering average is 730, i wonder i should lower my expectation.. Do i have a chance to get in at HBS?
1) Basic demographic info: 26 female Asian(non citizen no green card)
2) Educational Background :
- BS. industrial design(in the top engineering school in korea, 23rd in the world)
- gmat 700(49/36) IR 5 AWA 5
- summa cum laude(GPA 3.85), top of the class, dean's list scholarship,
- Master (gpa 3.9/4, stopped after two semester, and moved to NYC to get a job. I have several valid reasons for this choice, first i was not learning new, still top of the class, and got an internship offer in nyc. So i took a leap. I worry that i can come off as too arrogant, but the truth is i just needed a new experienpce desparately. Is this a big red flag??)
3) Work experience:
- 2 year, mid-level industrial designer at a design consultancy in NYC(my first job)
- design consulting for multinational companies, most clients are very well known companies, lots of interesting projects in beauty/luxury/fashion industry to consumer products and electronics(e.g. Alexander mcqueen, lg, rubbermaid etc...)
- successfully designed and launched some of products in the market.
- pitched design to Sarah burton, the creative director of alexander McQueen, in person.
- worked on a design project for New Harvard tech start-up(does it help to mention harvard start-up? Even my involvement was not significant?)
- holds the patent(self-filed)
- lots of international design awards, international exhibitions
- NGO involvement, Design donation project, probono industrial designer & project support in general(web support) (raised million dollar profit to donate by designing and launching a new product in the market, Worked with a team of a professor and other grad students, and NGO Worldvision)
- nyc landmark ngo volunteer
- volunteer while in college, for mentally disabled (4 days on site)
- first chair of orchestra for violincello department, in college
5) Short/Long term goals: non profit(social impact) start-up
6) Schools: HBS, mit, wharton, yale, colombia, georgetown (i took off stanford recently, i think it is over reach for me and personally prefer more liberal art environment than tech/quant heavy)
7) extra : went to a high school for gifted students at math and science, early graduated. Admitted at the college at age 17. With scholarship from government minister of science
8) leadership : i have some personal stories that will really support on leadership qualities, came to nyc by myself for job hunting etc, lots of stories in my nyc life as a foreigner