Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 08:55
Dear mbaMission,

Please help evaluate my profile as stated below and I expect to receive some of your advice:

Background: Chemical Engineering from Vietnam, GPA: 8.45/10 (top 1 of my Department and top 10 of the University). My University is one of the best Universities in Vietnam (though it's still unranked in global ranking).I also had a publication in an international conference held in Vietnam when I was 4th year student (don't know whether it is relevant to the MBA profile)

Years of WE: Will have 52 months of by the of application and 5 years by the time of matriculation (expected)

Working experiences:

1 year working for CDM projects under the Kyoto Protocol. Then I switched to work as Sales Manager for P&G Vietnam (Consumer Products) then moved to work as Bradn Manager for a pharmaceutical company (local company which is founded by my former P&G Sales Director). In all positions, I have always proven records of leadership. I am planning to move to another Pharma company for the Group Brand Manager position (higher responsibilities)

Tests: 670 GMAT (49Q-31V-7IR) and 96 iBT. I am planning to retake these test this year with higher expectations (at least 720 GMAT and 100 iBT)

Extracurricular activities: lots of activities. Used to be the founder of an environmental club back in college (but this club is closed now). At the moment, I joined a startup non-profit org which is founded by a Stanford alumni to support poor students in Vietnam to pursue college education. I am leading an important team of the group.

I did apply last year with 2 admissions from 2 schools in top 30 (one with no $$$ (top 15)and one with 50 % tuition fee (top 30)).

This year, I want to re-apply and I do hope to stretch to the schools in top 10.

My aim in top tier: Stanford GSB, Chicago Booth, Tuck, Wharton

My aim in second tier: Fuqua, Tepper, Emory, Mendoza

Please help advise what I should do to increase my chance and my competitiveness when applying.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2014, 05:18
Expert's post
Hello,

Thanks for posting and sharing your background and experiences. So in the past you were accepted to 2 schools; but you did not attend... was that due to lack of funding, or did you change your mind, or what was the situation there? Are you re-applying to any of the same schools (whether you got in or not), or is your new list completely new?

Overall you have a lot of strengths going for you certainly. While there are a lot of similar engineering-degree applicants these days, you have made your career in brand management and worked for some reputable companies and held leadership positions, sounds like you have accomplishments and impact you can cite in your applications (and when you say you are taking a new role, is that for certain and before you'd apply or no?). Nice GPA and extracurricular involvement, and a less-common nationality are all plusses. It sounds the current GMAT score is one of your weakest components so certainly that is a straightforward way to boost your candidacy, be sure to really focus on that preparation. Beyond that, at this point, it's likely just working on your essays and overall story (I don't believe you've mentioned here the WHY... your post-MBA goals and rationale for applying; that as well as showing a 'fit' with each school, can also make a difference in the admissions decision.)

As for schools, of course Stanford is a big reach for almost all applicants ;); I would think you would have good chances at those you listed as 'second tier', and possibly could get in at a top tier program as well, worth a shot, especially WITH a higher GMAT and strong essays and overall rationale for b-school. If re-applying anywhere, note that you'll be expected to comment on what has changed or improved from last time.

Let us know what other q's you have. We do offer a free 30 min consultation if desired at any point (http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php) and/or drop back by to update us or share q's. Good luck!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php