Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 00:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Merage '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2014, 21:45
Hey there,

I am an international student from Uzbekistan who wishes to apply to a full-time MBA program in the US with possible start in Fall semester, 2015. I would be very thankful if someone could give me any kind of feedback looking through my profile (chances to be accepted, advice on schools to attend etc.). I am currently 23 years old.

- Graduated from IT College in Tashkent, Uzbekistan (teaching language - Russian) with a GPA of 3.7 in 2010. (GPA has been converted from original source because of difference between grading systems)
- Expected 3.8 overall GPA from a top state university of Uzbekistan (standard 4 years), located in Tashkent (capital), (teaching language - Russian), with a major in Economics with a special focus on China (expected graduation date - June, 2015). I had 4.0 GPA last 2 semesters and I suppose that this tendency will go on. (GPA has been converted from original source because of difference between grading systems)
- Received a 2012-2013 UGRAD (Fulbright Undergraduate) scholarship to able to study in the US for a year. Spent a year in the US attending one of Cal State Universities with a total GPA of 3.5 for 2 consecutive semesters (made Dean`s list once)
- Had an internship for 4 months as an event-coordinator`s assistant in UN Regional Office for Central Asia - (2012)
- Had a paid internship for 5 months in the US working as business associate for an international freight forwarding company ($1.5 million revenue in FY 2012) - (2013) (was very tough to get in since I was an international student without US citizenship)
- Completed a two-month community service while being in the US
- Participated in enormous amount of conferences all across the globe including Harvard University MUN and UCLA MUN as well as business and marketing conferences of various kind (mostly being a leader of my country/delegation/team)
- As a member of American Marketing Association, was among those who received a presidential award for outstanding organization of the year, 2013
- Is currently working in a local consulting firm as a marketing associate (part-time)
- Knows 5 languages, including Russian, Uzbek (native language), English, German (intermediate) and Chinese (intermediate)
- Plays piano and guitar (if it matters here).
- Haven`t taken GMAT yet but aiming for 700-720 range

I am planning to start my full-time MBA program as soon as I will be done with my undergraduate work. I am still considering various kinds of concentrations but I suppose that I will go for something close to marketing or information systems since I`ve already received some experience.
I am still searching for good schools which can provide me with full scholarship since even a good partial scholarship from good schools may be insufficient.

Please do not hesitate to provide me with any kind of advice concerning my profile.
I highly appreciate your time!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2014, 06:58
Expert's post
Hello,

You have many strengths and a unique, interesting profile overall. Also some weaker points (not quite “weaknesses”) – you’re fairly young still for MBA, and also you have relevant experience but not yet a solid professional track record. Still, even without that, you do stand out as someone who excels in whatever circumstances you are in, which adcoms will appreciate. But keep in mind that adcoms often want to know why you need the MBA NOW, so you will have to make a good case for why now is the right time, rather than waiting until your career is more established.

One thing that is missing from your write-up is your goals, and this is a major and integral element of your candidacy. Adcoms still want to see a credible career plan and sense of direction.

If you need a scholarship, you should apply to programs that are on pars or relatively safe, as schools seek to entice strong applicants with the funding. So if you score in the 720 range on the GMAT, I would suggest looking at schools in the range of Georgetown, UNC Kenan-Flagler, Tepper, USC Marshall, and Texas/McCombs.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Schools: Merage '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2014, 22:49
CindyTAccepted wrote:
Hello,

You have many strengths and a unique, interesting profile overall. Also some weaker points (not quite “weaknesses”) – you’re fairly young still for MBA, and also you have relevant experience but not yet a solid professional track record. Still, even without that, you do stand out as someone who excels in whatever circumstances you are in, which adcoms will appreciate. But keep in mind that adcoms often want to know why you need the MBA NOW, so you will have to make a good case for why now is the right time, rather than waiting until your career is more established.

One thing that is missing from your write-up is your goals, and this is a major and integral element of your candidacy. Adcoms still want to see a credible career plan and sense of direction.

If you need a scholarship, you should apply to programs that are on pars or relatively safe, as schools seek to entice strong applicants with the funding. So if you score in the 720 range on the GMAT, I would suggest looking at schools in the range of Georgetown, UNC Kenan-Flagler, Tepper, USC Marshall, and Texas/McCombs.

Thank you very much for your reply Cindy

Frankly writing, I am in a very special situation right now.
I will graduate next year from my university as I mentioned above in my profile. This is true and I know it for sure that MBA programs require future MBA students to have at least 2-3 years of professional experience. However, I planning to emigrate to the US and I think that it will be difficult to find any position there with my current diploma. That is why I thought that MBA might be a good option for me to consider which in my opinion will certainly boost my chances to find a well-paid job in the future and give me a chance to make a good use of skills that I have. Writing more precisely about my future plans, I want to assert the fact that I want to work for international business/international marketing company after graduation and as a long term goal I have a plan to open my own business.

That is why I still have some questions unanswered and I would be very glad if you could help.

1) I`ve been working in a local consulting firm as a marketing associate since June 2013 (40+ hours a week - from 1 pm till 8 pm every day including Saturdays) - will it be considered as a full time position?
2) I know that I need to submit two letters of recommendations from my supervisors - may I translate a letter of recommendation written by my current supervisor in Russian? Moreover I know that adcom may call my supervisor and talk to him about my recommendation letters (eventually I am asking because he does not speak any English and will not respond to adcom questions properly) - what should I do?
3) I heard that top schools don`t usually give full scholarships to students. Having in mind that this is the only possibility for me, do I need to consider middle range schools then?

Thank you very much for assistance - you are really making my life easier.