Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation-2.4 GPA 590 GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation-2.4 GPA 590 GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 08:47
Hello,

If you could evaluate my profile, I would feel great.

1) Work Experience: Two years running my own company as a reseller of electronic goods. This involved recruiting people from craigslist to do odd jobs for me, so I always kept my eye wary in case anyone planned on doing anything sinister. This business pulled a profit for two years. I also had invested in a Uhaul/Penske business with someone who I thought was my friend, but it turned out he just took my money and cut me out of the business. This led to my later declaring bankruptcy. Due to my not having money anymore, I got out of the reseller business and got a job. The job was selling services for a major telecom company. I eventually rose to become a store manager within three months and kept that position for a year. I then moved on to work for the nation's largest retailer of used cars as a manager-buyer. I also have been president of a student association in my college, and the president of a youth group where we adopted two roads and held blood and clothing drives (along with other community activities.)

2) Undergraduate: George Mason University. GPA: 2.4. I know it's not impressive, but what's even more unimpressive is that in my last four semesters I had a 3.11, 2.33, 3.15, and a 1.75. It was up and down because I usually tried to pay off my previous semester's loan and I worked throughout college (had two jobs throughout, sometimes three.) In fact, during undergrad I didn't see the point of school because my dad had a Master's in Chemistry and drove a cab, but I have realized the error of my ways and want to go back to school, to get good grades, and to get a real professional job to provide for my family and extended family. I hadn't even considered going back to school till last month, when at the spur of the moment I scheduled the GMAT. I figure if I can do well in school now that I take things seriously, I can get a job that pays real money which I will then invest into a business which will give me 3% returns weekly.

3) GMAT: 590 (Q42 V30). I did not take any courses and studied off and on about a month. I believe I did horribly in sentence correction questions. I mostly just read through the official guide and did problems in my head. I am sure that if I take a course and give myself more time to study I can improve my score past 700, but is it worth it with the grades that I've gotten? My verbal score was surprisingly horrible, because I had gotten a 690 on the verbal portion of the SAT so I guess these are both unrelated.

4) Extra something about me: I have been leading and managing people for some time now.

5) Target Schools: Kellogg, Wharton, Booth, Yale, Harvard--no just kidding. I want to know if Georgetown, GW, UMD is a possibility for me. If not, what is. How is GMU as a business school?

If I were to get an 800 on the GMAT, could I get into Harvard? If not, what schools do you think I have a shot at. I want to go somewhere that has a good reputation of landing their students jobs within three months of graduating. Really, the only reason I even want to go back to school is so that I can get a professional job and get out of retail.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation-2.4 GPA 590 GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 09:49
wow, you sounds exactly like me when i first started researching b-schools! I also went to GMU and have a low GPA....Forget about HBS or any school in that vicinity and much lower. GMAT is important but its one of many components schools look at. You may have a shot at GMU but its gonna be slim. GMU is a decent school regionally, but jobs are going to be mostly self sourced.

If you have a couple years to let your GPA cool off, take some classes (business), getting all A's and get 700+ on the GMAT then i think you may have a shot at MD/GW
Gtown is hard for someone with your stats but not impossible, people have gotten in around here with ~2.5's but also had 720 GMATs.

I do think you can get into a decent regional school like Mason, which regardless of what people tell you, isn't garbage. You have a lot of research to do my friend. Best of luck!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation-2.4 GPA 590 GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2011, 10:28
Thanks for the advice. What kind of business classes would you recommend? Would taking them at Nova make a difference? Yea, my gpa is extraordinarily low, but I think that I can raise my GMAT above a 700 if it's worth it.
Current Student

Re: Profile Evaluation-2.4 GPA 590 GMAT [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 13:04
I dont think NOVA matters, google the phrase "alternative transcript" search for it here as well, there are many people with even worse GPAs that get into decent schools. Theres a girl on here who had a 1.87 and got into Cornell, UNC, INSEAD and Ross!

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation-2.4 GPA 590 GMAT [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 13:24
I guess I could retake some courses that I didn't do too well (failed) in GMU. I made some pretty dumb decisions though, I got a degree in Economics, but for some reason I took advanced Calculus 1 and 2 and passed them, but then tried my luck and failed adv. Calculus 3. Should I try and retake that as it replaces my old grade? I don't know if I remember enough of 1 and 2 to beat 3 though. Also, I didn't do too well in University Physics, would retaking that look good? I'm guessing if I retook those two classes and got A's in them I could raise my GPA to a 2.6. What kind of classes could I take at Nova that would look impressive? Maybe discrete math?
Current Student

Re: Profile Evaluation-2.4 GPA 590 GMAT [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 13:53
is you degree complete? how can you replace a grade you retake if you have already graduated?
It would be wise to take classes you didnt do well in or havent taken.
Its a way to ally an MBA program's greatest fear with low GPAs, can he handle the material?
You have to show them that this wont happen again if they admit you.

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation-2.4 GPA 590 GMAT [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 03:14
Expert's post
Hi, Imahmood. I just wanted to add that I am afraid that the string of bad luck - a business failure, a bankruptcy, etc. - tend to drag down an application. Even if you're asked about a failure in your application essays, I would not recommend writing about these since they will give a bad flavor to your application.

The top programs seek people who have been successful in their every endeavor. They can have made mistakes certainly but they must have consistently come out on top (the theory being that lucky people tend to remain lucky, I guess). So far your story does not sound like that, so I do recommend you focus on your successes in your application instead.

There were also a few "blanks" in your profile description that I would like you to keep in mind as you select schools:
1. years of work experience/age - you should not exceed the average of the program by much or the schools will fear that you will not fit in or benefit from the program
2. goals - without clear, realistic goals in fields that the MBA program prepares you for, you will not get in
Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
310-815-9553

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation-2.4 GPA 590 GMAT [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 20:29
Hi, thanks Jennifer. I'll be sure to keep out the negative stuff from my application, I did want to mention I'm 27 years old, so hopefully it's not too late to apply to b-schools is it? I'm looking for a fresh start, but I'm going to try and get a better GMAT score. I had some bad luck while taking my GMAT, because of a bulging disc in my back by the time I got around to verbal my back was really aching so I had went through it quickly and finished it 25 mins early. I'll make sure to write about my successes though when applying to b-schools. My goal for going to b-school is learning business strategy and then getting a job in consulting coming out.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation-2.4 GPA 590 GMAT [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 01:08
Expert's post
lmahmood wrote:
Hi, thanks Jennifer. I'll be sure to keep out the negative stuff from my application, I did want to mention I'm 27 years old, so hopefully it's not too late to apply to b-schools is it? I'm looking for a fresh start, but I'm going to try and get a better GMAT score. I had some bad luck while taking my GMAT, because of a bulging disc in my back by the time I got around to verbal my back was really aching so I had went through it quickly and finished it 25 mins early. I'll make sure to write about my successes though when applying to b-schools. My goal for going to b-school is learning business strategy and then getting a job in consulting coming out.

Hi, Imahmood. Yes, 27 is the right general age to be applying to these programs and consulting is a reasonable goal. Keep in mind that the programs will not consider a top consulting position within your reach unless you have a high GMAT score since those firms use GMAT score in their candidacy evaluations.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog