Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 11:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - 22 and need Brutal honesty from experts

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - 22 and need Brutal honesty from experts [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 10:09
I understand this section is generally for those who have already taken the GMAT, or a bit further in their lives, but I honestly do not have ANY one close to me that I can rely on for brutal honesty. I've read many of the FAQs and lurked this forum for some time. I finally thought I should join and become an active member of this board.

1) Basic demographic info: age, gender, nationality

22 - male - African American

2) Educational Background: undergrad major, GPA, GMAT score, any grad work you've done

BBA-Marketing - 2.8 - n/a - recently graduated from a sister school of Texas A&M (Kingsville)

I haven't taken my GMAT yet, but I think I can honestly score a 630+ because of some practice tests and my test taking ability. I tend to do well on tests. The last major test I took was the CBE for graduation and I did fairly well.

3) Work experience: what is your current role? Have you had any promotions? What industry do you work in? For how long have you worked?

I've done retail for sporting goods and apparel since I was 17, working for Footlocker INC. I was promoted to an assistant manager for awhile, but reduced back down to sales associate because I played NCAA basketball.

Towards the end of my college career, I became a assistant manager for Hibbett Sports, and then was promoted to lead manager once I played my senior season. So to sum things up, I have 1 year of solid managerial experience

Aside from that, I haven't been able to garner much work experience at business firms, banks etc. because those are full time jobs. I was balance 30 hour work weeks, 15 hour class schedules, and 30-40 hour basketball weeks for my entire college life.

4) Extracurriculars: do you participate in any extra-curricular activities? What is your role there? For how long have you been involved?

Aside from basketball, I've managed time to join the AMA and Accounting Club at my school. I've done various volunteer works through out the cities I've lived in. As of now, I am working on developing a non profit marketing firm, in hopes of helping upstart businesses get their push into the forefront.

Its a fairly new concept, but I have one client, a clothing line, in Houston that I feel really good about.

I've also had much experience in online sales, including moving electronics and apparel from behind the computer screen. It has always been a side hustle to maintain more money in my pocket.

5) Short/Long term goals: what do you want to do after your MBA? Any geographic preferences?

Short term, I would definitely like to find some direction as far as MBA programs. I haven't JUST BEEN a regular college student for 4 years. The one year I redshirted from basketball because of a broken foot, I manged a 3.8 gpa while taking 36 credited hours over the fall and spring semesters, so I know that athletic distractions aside, I can do great things.. I want to have my graduate degree before i'm 26, and be well on my way with my career.

Choosing an exact career is what I'm having trouble with. I want to do so many things its not even funny! Investment banking, marketing, financial consultation, and business structures ALL interest me a great deal. I'm up from 7:30 am to 12 am every day bouncing from different things in the business world.

Truth be told, money is also a driving force for me. I've heard that you can make 100K at a miserable job, or 50K at a job you enjoy, and people would choose the latter. I'm wired a different way, and always looking at ways to do things better to generate more income for myself and whoever i'm working for.

Long term, I want to reap the benefits of attending a highly touted MBA program, socially, economically, and psychologically. For a side hobby, I want to help promote and market up and coming businesses, giving them knowledge and exposure that would take them many failures to recognize.

6) Schools: Which schools have you considered already? Any on your initial short list?

I graduated from a Texas A&M school. I heard that sister schools are a tad favorable to students within their own system. UT Austin is, from what I researched, a very good school, but I'm just not sure of my potential.

My thing is that I've never feared leaving home. I live in the Houston area, but absolutely love the possibility of meeting new people on the east and west coast, and even overseas. Califorinia, Illinois, New York, and every state in between is an option for me because I will make the best out of any situation.

Please provide me with some brutally honest feedback. Like I stated, I don't have too many other people to take to because most of my friends are more concerned about heading overseas to play basketball than their immediate future if their dreams don't come true. A have a few cool professors I can talk with, but I want to go past just teaching at a university, or having a few failed business.

I've thought about finding work for a solid year or two to help boost my savings and credentials when applying for schools. I've also thought about joining the military in hopes of getting some of the loans taken care of once I enter school...

So... LEMME KNOW WHAT YOU ALL THINK!!

thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 249

Re: Profile Evaluation - 22 and need Brutal honesty from experts [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 03:04
It definitely shows that you're a hard worker, I have a feeling you'll be successful no matter what happens in life. But for MBA purposes, a lot depends on the type of school you want to attend. You only kind of mentioned UT-Austin.

My honest opinion is that you could pursue a MBA from a school with local power at this time, but that would only marginally improve your employment prospects. I have a friend in such a situation, and it's hard watching him get denied from interviews for basic entry level corporate internships. From a learning perspective, a MBA is a terrific waste of education at your age and work experience. When you do a MBA with a few years of post-grad under your belt, you'll have a frame of reference that takes the lessons to a higher educational experience.

Narrow your career goals some, use your hustle to land a job in that broad area, and do everything you can to build leadership experiences. What you do in the next 3-5 years of your life from a job perspective can dramatically alter your trajectory, positively or negatively. If you choose to go into the service, that is actually a great place to be for a MBA down the road. If possible, develop some leadership skills and stories along the way.

You might also think about taking a few extra classes now that basketball is done. This "alternative transcript" would help mitigate your 2.8 some. Quant and business classes are usually thought of as good starts.

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 10

Re: Profile Evaluation - 22 and need Brutal honesty from experts [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 05:35
I agree with method. Wasting 100k on an education without an end goal in mind will not help you. When recruiting time rolls around you will be applying to all positions and if you dont have a clear passion for one career path it will show.

I think taking a few classes, taking the time to prep for the GMAT and continuing to do what you do in terms of extra curriculars will go a long way. Re think the MBA path a few years down the road. You will be better prepared for it and if you play your cards right better positioned to get into the school of your choice.

Reward wisdom with kudos

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - 22 and need Brutal honesty from experts [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 07:48
Thank you all so much. I'm going to take the advice. For the mean time, I'm going to attain an MS-Fin from a lower tier local school. There is a program that i can finish in one calendar year, and actually work to my support myself as well. I do want to go into investment banking most of all, so i figure some added practice from a lower tier school will help that out a lot, along with a trying to land a job in my field for the next few years...

Around 26-27, I will focus on trying to get into a top tier school and finish it off with an MBA.
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

Premium Member
Re: Profile Evaluation - 22 and need Brutal honesty from experts [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 22:41
handullz wrote:
Short term, I would definitely like to find some direction as far as MBA programs. I haven't JUST BEEN a regular college student for 4 years. The one year I redshirted from basketball because of a broken foot, I manged a 3.8 gpa while taking 36 credited hours over the fall and spring semesters, so I know that athletic distractions aside, I can do great things.. I want to have my graduate degree before i'm 26, and be well on my way with my career.

Choosing an exact career is what I'm having trouble with. I want to do so many things its not even funny! Investment banking, marketing, financial consultation, and business structures ALL interest me a great deal. I'm up from 7:30 am to 12 am every day bouncing from different things in the business world.

Truth be told, money is also a driving force for me. I've heard that you can make 100K at a miserable job, or 50K at a job you enjoy, and people would choose the latter. I'm wired a different way, and always looking at ways to do things better to generate more income for myself and whoever i'm working for.

Long term, I want to reap the benefits of attending a highly touted MBA program, socially, economically, and psychologically. For a side hobby, I want to help promote and market up and coming businesses, giving them knowledge and exposure that would take them many failures to recognize.

Impressed with your energy level i must say.

Believe me, the goals that you pave for yourself will take you to heights, i mean if you do not know where you wanna go ( personally as well as professionally ) , your current energy will be a waste.

Do not feel so confused, take decent time to decide what you wanna do in your life

What motivates you
Who is your idol
Whom are u too much impressed with

take a piece of paper keep on asking Qs like this for a month, and by the end of month , you will have fair idea as to where you can go... and where you are more inclined to go.

In terms of deciding professional path, start reading different magazines, books and soon you will come up with what you wanna do with your life

Good Luck

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Re: Profile Evaluation - 22 and need Brutal honesty from experts   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2012, 22:41