Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation: 23 yo Male Engineer, 3 year Exp 700

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Schools: Rotman '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Profile Evaluation: 23 yo Male Engineer, 3 year Exp 700 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2013, 01:45
Profile Evaluation: 23 year old Male Engineer, with 3 years experience in non-Engineering roles
1) Work Exp: Business development, client relations and pre-sales at an IT company for 2+ years (time of 2014 batch). Responsible for onboarding clients and partners in North America. Interaction with CXOs, Managers and Directors from companies in North America on a daily basis. Individually responsible for yearly revenue of $200,000.

Research Analyst at procurement Intelligence firm (1year). Worked with clients across Europe and North America. Individually responsible (on the delivery team) for pilot projects with Rhodia and PepsiCo(Tropicana) and worked with sales team to bring them onboard. Received best analyst for Q3 2011. Promoted to Senior Research Analyst within a year.

2) GMAT 700 Q50 V35 One attempt.

3) College info: Anna University, Chennai, India – Bachelor of Engineering, Electronics and Communications, May 2011
GPA – 78%, Distinction

4)Significant Extra-curricular: President of the College Entrepreneurship club
Founding/Conceptualizing member of “The First Dot” – India’s only student startup showcase.
Run regular 10Ks, have been to big treks in the foothills - Himalayas and smaller treks regularly

5) Target Programs: Anderson, UCLA; NYU- Stern, Rotman-UToronto, Schulich – York, British Columbia – Sauder, INSEAD, ISB – India, also applying to Masters of Management courses at Stanford, Columbia and Duke.

6) Target Application: Fall 2014 admit. Round 1 applications Oct 2013-14 .

7) Post MBA Goal: Work in Management Consulting. Targeting the Big 3.

Questions:
1) Are my school selections in line with my profile? Should I be aiming for higher or lower ranked schools than I am currently looking at?
2) Am I missing out on any great schools in the USA or Canada that I have a good chance to crack in to.
3) Are there any particular tips, specific to the colleges I am applying for, that you can help me with
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3053
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 497 [1] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation: 23 yo Male Engineer, 3 year Exp 700 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 02:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sharathbala wrote:
Profile Evaluation: 23 year old Male Engineer, with 3 years experience in non-Engineering roles
1) Work Exp: Business development, client relations and pre-sales at an IT company for 2+ years (time of 2014 batch). Responsible for onboarding clients and partners in North America. Interaction with CXOs, Managers and Directors from companies in North America on a daily basis. Individually responsible for yearly revenue of $200,000.

Research Analyst at procurement Intelligence firm (1year). Worked with clients across Europe and North America. Individually responsible (on the delivery team) for pilot projects with Rhodia and PepsiCo(Tropicana) and worked with sales team to bring them onboard. Received best analyst for Q3 2011. Promoted to Senior Research Analyst within a year.

2) GMAT 700 Q50 V35 One attempt.

3) College info: Anna University, Chennai, India – Bachelor of Engineering, Electronics and Communications, May 2011
GPA – 78%, Distinction

4)Significant Extra-curricular: President of the College Entrepreneurship club
Founding/Conceptualizing member of “The First Dot” – India’s only student startup showcase.
Run regular 10Ks, have been to big treks in the foothills - Himalayas and smaller treks regularly

5) Target Programs: Anderson, UCLA; NYU- Stern, Rotman-UToronto, Schulich – York, British Columbia – Sauder, INSEAD, ISB – India, also applying to Masters of Management courses at Stanford, Columbia and Duke.

6) Target Application: Fall 2014 admit. Round 1 applications Oct 2013-14 .

7) Post MBA Goal: Work in Management Consulting. Targeting the Big 3.

Questions:
1) Are my school selections in line with my profile? Should I be aiming for higher or lower ranked schools than I am currently looking at?
2) Am I missing out on any great schools in the USA or Canada that I have a good chance to crack in to.
3) Are there any particular tips, specific to the colleges I am applying for, that you can help me with


Hey dude, well to start off, as you probably know, you are running a bit late for R1 ;) So it's gonna be round two this year.

Let's start with your questions:
1) They are a bit high, but not super super high. What's missing is a bit of range. INSEAD, ISB, Stanford are stretches for you. You have some competitive schools (but maybe a bit more) in NYU, Anderson, Columbia and Duke.... but no real "Safe" schools. Which you might want to add. But overall a pretty good list.
2) For sure. :) But I don't know what your criteria are. I mean any school is good for management consulting (It's what B-school is made for). Just check their recruiter lists to make sure the firms you want recruit at the schools you apply at.
3) I don't know. I don't have your full profile, so hard to say. Thankfully you aren't an engineer! :) Let's start with that.

Good luck!
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Schools: Rotman '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Profile Evaluation: 23 yo Male Engineer, 3 year Exp 700 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 11:54
Hey John

Last edited by sharathbala on 24 Sep 2013, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Schools: Rotman '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Profile Evaluation: 23 yo Male Engineer, 3 year Exp 700 [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 11:56
JonAdmissionado wrote:

Hey dude, well to start off, as you probably know, you are running a bit late for R1 ;) So it's gonna be round two this year.

Let's start with your questions:
1) They are a bit high, but not super super high. What's missing is a bit of range. INSEAD, ISB, Stanford are stretches for you. You have some competitive schools (but maybe a bit more) in NYU, Anderson, Columbia and Duke.... but no real "Safe" schools. Which you might want to add. But overall a pretty good list.
2) For sure. :) But I don't know what your criteria are. I mean any school is good for management consulting (It's what B-school is made for). Just check their recruiter lists to make sure the firms you want recruit at the schools you apply at.
3) I don't know. I don't have your full profile, so hard to say. Thankfully you aren't an engineer! :) Let's start with that.

Good luck!


Hey John !

Thanks a lot ! That was a very very fast reply what with my urgency :-D Thanks a ton for that. The problem with my approach was that I did my research, found my target schools and started the online application processes. (INSEAD is LONG ! PHEW) and then came on to seek expert advice, at a very late time. Thanks a lot for your inputs. I was wondering if I could provide some more details on the profile below and seek some guidance.

1) I've consciously avoided the safe schools in an MBA as I have something synonymous (brand cravings) with many students from the region. So I consider INSEAD, NYU, UCLA = Ambitious, ISB, Rotman, Schulich = Moderately Ambitious. My views of ambitious and moderately ambitious may be a little askew as you pointed out. The programs that I am applying for at Stanford, Columbia and Duke are the MS&E and MMS programs respectively and some research on student profile pointed that I have a good chance for these. (I will look in to them again). The idea behind the MS programs (and my MBA in general) being that it will help the career switch that I want before I pursue further goals in an alternate roadmap.

2) My criteria are two mainly. i) A good to great brand name and ii) Job security in the geography (the investment is pretty high from India). that is why the focus is on USA and Canada (and India itself with ISB)

3) I could definitely help with that :) The initial brevity was to not bore you to sleep ! To start off with, I did do my bachelors of Engineering in Electronics and Comm. Sorry about the initial confusion. I could PM you my complete profile if that is preferable
Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3053
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 497 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation: 23 yo Male Engineer, 3 year Exp 700 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 00:58
Expert's post
sharathbala wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:

Hey dude, well to start off, as you probably know, you are running a bit late for R1 ;) So it's gonna be round two this year.

Let's start with your questions:
1) They are a bit high, but not super super high. What's missing is a bit of range. INSEAD, ISB, Stanford are stretches for you. You have some competitive schools (but maybe a bit more) in NYU, Anderson, Columbia and Duke.... but no real "Safe" schools. Which you might want to add. But overall a pretty good list.
2) For sure. :) But I don't know what your criteria are. I mean any school is good for management consulting (It's what B-school is made for). Just check their recruiter lists to make sure the firms you want recruit at the schools you apply at.
3) I don't know. I don't have your full profile, so hard to say. Thankfully you aren't an engineer! :) Let's start with that.

Good luck!


Hey John !

Thanks a lot ! That was a very very fast reply what with my urgency :-D Thanks a ton for that. The problem with my approach was that I did my research, found my target schools and started the online application processes. (INSEAD is LONG ! PHEW) and then came on to seek expert advice, at a very late time. Thanks a lot for your inputs. I was wondering if I could provide some more details on the profile below and seek some guidance.

1) I've consciously avoided the safe schools in an MBA as I have something synonymous (brand cravings) with many students from the region. So I consider INSEAD, NYU, UCLA = Ambitious, ISB, Rotman, Schulich = Moderately Ambitious. My views of ambitious and moderately ambitious may be a little askew as you pointed out. The programs that I am applying for at Stanford, Columbia and Duke are the MS&E and MMS programs respectively and some research on student profile pointed that I have a good chance for these. (I will look in to them again). The idea behind the MS programs (and my MBA in general) being that it will help the career switch that I want before I pursue further goals in an alternate roadmap.

2) My criteria are two mainly. i) A good to great brand name and ii) Job security in the geography (the investment is pretty high from India). that is why the focus is on USA and Canada (and India itself with ISB)

3) I could definitely help with that :) The initial brevity was to not bore you to sleep ! To start off with, I did do my bachelors of Engineering in Electronics and Comm. Sorry about the initial confusion. I could PM you my complete profile if that is preferable


:)

Wellllll you know, the more info the better.

I get your idea about not having any safe schools. And that is totally fine also, if that's what you choose, as long as you are aware of the higher chances of you not getting your goal (which will hopefully NOT happen of course). I mean plenty of people decide to aim only high, and it works out for them, but sometimes not. Anyhow enough about that. If your criteria is a good brand and job security, well number one is a bit subjective (i.e. it depends which industry, which region, personal ideas, etc.) and number two is more relevant, but for many Top 40 schools job security is pretty good (just salaries go down a bit).

As for tips I have two major ones -
1. Play down the Tech Stuff in your profile, and play up any leadership, teamwork, and business work.
2. For the love of all that is good on this Earth, please do what you can to stand out!!!!!! There are a LOT of fantastic Indian applicants. So make sure they remember YOU.
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2013
Posts: 13
Schools: Rotman '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Profile Evaluation: 23 yo Male Engineer, 3 year Exp 700 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 01:13
JonAdmissionado wrote:
sharathbala wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:


As for tips I have two major ones -
1. Play down the Tech Stuff in your profile, and play up any leadership, teamwork, and business work.
2. For the love of all that is good on this Earth, please do what you can to stand out!!!!!! There are a LOT of fantastic Indian applicants. So make sure they remember YOU.


Thanks Jon. Got it. This helps a lot and gives me more confidence in how I am positioning my essays ! The stand out factor, that's something i need to work on :) Thanks for your advice again
Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3053
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 497 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation: 23 yo Male Engineer, 3 year Exp 700 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 22:28
Expert's post
Wahoo!

Go get 'em dude!
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Profile Evaluation: 23 yo Male Engineer, 3 year Exp 700 sharathbala 0 21 Sep 2013, 01:44
Profile Evaluation: 23 yo Male Engineer, 3 year Exp 700 sharathbala 0 21 Sep 2013, 01:43
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile Evaluation: 23 yo Male Engineer, 3 year Exp 700 sharathbala 3 21 Sep 2013, 01:38
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile Evaluation: 23 yo Male Engineer, 3 year Exp 700 sharathbala 1 21 Sep 2013, 01:33
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile Evaluation: 23 yo Male Engineer, 3 year Exp 700 sharathbala 3 21 Sep 2013, 01:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Profile Evaluation: 23 yo Male Engineer, 3 year Exp 700

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.