Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Rotman '16
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation: 23 yo Male Engineer, 3 year Exp 700 [#permalink]
JonAdmissionado wrote:

Hey dude, well to start off, as you probably know, you are running a bit late for R1 ;) So it's gonna be round two this year.

Let's start with your questions:
1) They are a bit high, but not super super high. What's missing is a bit of range. INSEAD, ISB, Stanford are stretches for you. You have some competitive schools (but maybe a bit more) in NYU, Anderson, Columbia and Duke.... but no real "Safe" schools. Which you might want to add. But overall a pretty good list.
2) For sure. :) But I don't know what your criteria are. I mean any school is good for management consulting (It's what B-school is made for). Just check their recruiter lists to make sure the firms you want recruit at the schools you apply at.
3) I don't know. I don't have your full profile, so hard to say. Thankfully you aren't an engineer! :) Let's start with that.

Good luck!

Hey John !

Thanks a lot ! That was a very very fast reply what with my urgency :-D Thanks a ton for that. The problem with my approach was that I did my research, found my target schools and started the online application processes. (INSEAD is LONG ! PHEW) and then came on to seek expert advice, at a very late time. Thanks a lot for your inputs. I was wondering if I could provide some more details on the profile below and seek some guidance.

1) I've consciously avoided the safe schools in an MBA as I have something synonymous (brand cravings) with many students from the region. So I consider INSEAD, NYU, UCLA = Ambitious, ISB, Rotman, Schulich = Moderately Ambitious. My views of ambitious and moderately ambitious may be a little askew as you pointed out. The programs that I am applying for at Stanford, Columbia and Duke are the MS&E and MMS programs respectively and some research on student profile pointed that I have a good chance for these. (I will look in to them again). The idea behind the MS programs (and my MBA in general) being that it will help the career switch that I want before I pursue further goals in an alternate roadmap.

2) My criteria are two mainly. i) A good to great brand name and ii) Job security in the geography (the investment is pretty high from India). that is why the focus is on USA and Canada (and India itself with ISB)

3) I could definitely help with that :) The initial brevity was to not bore you to sleep ! To start off with, I did do my bachelors of Engineering in Electronics and Comm. Sorry about the initial confusion. I could PM you my complete profile if that is preferable
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sharathbala wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:

Hey dude, well to start off, as you probably know, you are running a bit late for R1 ;) So it's gonna be round two this year.

Let's start with your questions:
1) They are a bit high, but not super super high. What's missing is a bit of range. INSEAD, ISB, Stanford are stretches for you. You have some competitive schools (but maybe a bit more) in NYU, Anderson, Columbia and Duke.... but no real "Safe" schools. Which you might want to add. But overall a pretty good list.
2) For sure. :) But I don't know what your criteria are. I mean any school is good for management consulting (It's what B-school is made for). Just check their recruiter lists to make sure the firms you want recruit at the schools you apply at.
3) I don't know. I don't have your full profile, so hard to say. Thankfully you aren't an engineer! :) Let's start with that.

Good luck!

Hey John !

Thanks a lot ! That was a very very fast reply what with my urgency :-D Thanks a ton for that. The problem with my approach was that I did my research, found my target schools and started the online application processes. (INSEAD is LONG ! PHEW) and then came on to seek expert advice, at a very late time. Thanks a lot for your inputs. I was wondering if I could provide some more details on the profile below and seek some guidance.

1) I've consciously avoided the safe schools in an MBA as I have something synonymous (brand cravings) with many students from the region. So I consider INSEAD, NYU, UCLA = Ambitious, ISB, Rotman, Schulich = Moderately Ambitious. My views of ambitious and moderately ambitious may be a little askew as you pointed out. The programs that I am applying for at Stanford, Columbia and Duke are the MS&E and MMS programs respectively and some research on student profile pointed that I have a good chance for these. (I will look in to them again). The idea behind the MS programs (and my MBA in general) being that it will help the career switch that I want before I pursue further goals in an alternate roadmap.

2) My criteria are two mainly. i) A good to great brand name and ii) Job security in the geography (the investment is pretty high from India). that is why the focus is on USA and Canada (and India itself with ISB)

3) I could definitely help with that :) The initial brevity was to not bore you to sleep ! To start off with, I did do my bachelors of Engineering in Electronics and Comm. Sorry about the initial confusion. I could PM you my complete profile if that is preferable

:)

Wellllll you know, the more info the better.

I get your idea about not having any safe schools. And that is totally fine also, if that's what you choose, as long as you are aware of the higher chances of you not getting your goal (which will hopefully NOT happen of course). I mean plenty of people decide to aim only high, and it works out for them, but sometimes not. Anyhow enough about that. If your criteria is a good brand and job security, well number one is a bit subjective (i.e. it depends which industry, which region, personal ideas, etc.) and number two is more relevant, but for many Top 40 schools job security is pretty good (just salaries go down a bit).

As for tips I have two major ones -
1. Play down the Tech Stuff in your profile, and play up any leadership, teamwork, and business work.
2. For the love of all that is good on this Earth, please do what you can to stand out!!!!!! There are a LOT of fantastic Indian applicants. So make sure they remember YOU.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
sharathbala wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:

As for tips I have two major ones -
1. Play down the Tech Stuff in your profile, and play up any leadership, teamwork, and business work.
2. For the love of all that is good on this Earth, please do what you can to stand out!!!!!! There are a LOT of fantastic Indian applicants. So make sure they remember YOU.

Thanks Jon. Got it. This helps a lot and gives me more confidence in how I am positioning my essays ! The stand out factor, that's something i need to work on :) Thanks for your advice again
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wahoo!

Go get 'em dude!
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts