Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 12:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - 28 y/o, 740 GMAT, poor work experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - 28 y/o, 740 GMAT, poor work experience [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 19:24
Dear team: Request to review my profile, thanks in advance for your time!

28 y/o male from California.

1) Spent the last year at a Chase bank branch as an Investment Licensed Banker, primarily trying to build business and balances for the branch. Prior to this, incredibly unimpressive work experience: Hotel supervisory role and odd-jobs such as serving tables.

2) GMAT - 740 / 44V / 47Q / 5.5AW / 8IR // GRE - 165Q / 160V / AW 5.0

3) Graduated from UC Santa Cruz in Jan 2009. (#86 by US News for UG). 3.4 GPA with Econ major, Math minor. Extenuating circumstance would be a major car accident which happened one month before my expected graduation in June in which I suffered major burns and was hospitalized for quite some time. Finished degree about 9 months after the accident, but the whole situation made it more difficult to find internships and entry into the financial industry upon completion of my classes.

4) Have volunteered as a peer supporter to other burn survivors. Was a founding member of a new multicultural fraternity while in school.

5) Currently a CFA level 1 candidate set to take the exam in June 2014. Series 6, 63 and insurance license holder.

6) Looking at FT MBAs, but I'm unsure if I have a shot at any top program with my weak work experience and average to poor letters of recommendation I would get from my bank branch managers. Looking to get an idea if I have any chance at all and if I do, which tier of schools I would have a legitimate shot. Have also been considering MSFinance programs. Was eying McGill for both MSF and MBA. Also eying Indiana, UNC, GTown, OSU, Washington(Foster).

7) R2 2013-2014.

8) Would ideally like to obtain a position with an IB in a quantitative field: asset mgmt, risk mgmt, derivatives pricing, analytics, etc. Have struggled to get into financial analysis and am hoping a graduate degree can help me get an internship or career placement to get my foot in the door.

In your experience, are there any schools which place less emphasis on work experience and letters or rec(These are clearly my weaknesses) and will reward solid test scores?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - 28 y/o, 740 GMAT, poor work experience [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 17:09
Expert's post
Your assessment of your chances and your own candidacy is pretty on target. I agree that you could and should seek out schools that are strong in finance, given your goals, and that would also value and benefit from your high GMAT (backed by the decent academic record) enough to overlook the problems. The GMAT and undergrad record make abundantly clear your ability, and you can explain some of the problems in an optional essay.

Your school range is sound. Another two schools you might look at, which are strong in finance and are overall highly regarded, are Boston College and University of Rochester’s Simon.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog