Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 16:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - 3.16 GPA & Projected 690-720 GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GRE 1: 1310 Q630 V680
GPA: 3.16
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 14

Profile Evaluation - 3.16 GPA & Projected 690-720 GMAT [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 06:18
1) Demographic Information:
24, M, US - Caucasian
Speak English & French

2) Educational Information:
History and French at a 4-Year Public University 3.16 GPA
Studied Abroad in France for the 2007-2008 school year.
I take the GMAT December 13th, 2010. My highest prep scores so far are a 43V/42Q, or 700, so I'm hoping to get around that level. (690-720).

3) Work Experience:
-Various entrepreneurial activities, with varying degrees of success :P (Ebay Business, Garage Sale Business, Affiliate Marketing, Vending Machines, among others.)
-Over 1 Year of management experience at a 4-rooftop car dealership.
-Two promotions within 9 months.
-In charge of the internet sales department, at the moment. Previously, helped manage fixed operations in service departments.
-By the time I apply (most likely Fall 2011) I will have 2+ years of similar WE on the books.

4) Extracurriculars
-Helping to raise/take care of my cousin my uncle and his girlfriend didn't want. (My Dad ended up with custody. He's 6 now.)
-Highly music-related. Volunteered to play at nursing homes. Also in jazz band, marching band, drum corps, etc.
-Heavily involved in theater since 2007. Both stage manager and actor (or both) in numerous different plays such as The Importance of Being Earnest, She Stoops to Conquer, and The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged).
-Involved in stand-up comedy. Appeared on Comedy Central in 2009.

5) Short/Long Term Goals:
Short term - Consulting. (Helping people with their problems without worrying about feelings or psychoses? I'm there!)
Long term - to keep making people think and laugh. (Can't you tell I was a liberal arts undergrad?)

6) Schools

Stern (Stretch), Yale, Darden, Tepper, McCombs, Olin, or Fisher. If it all came down to it, then I guess I would consider Owen at Vanderbilt in a pinch, primarily due to it being in my home state.

Did I help you? Please give me kudos.

Each moment of time ought to be put to proper use, either in business, in improving the mind, in the innocent and necessary relaxations and entertainments of life, or in the care of the moral and religious part of our nature.

-William Andrus Alcott

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - 3.16 GPA & Projected 690-720 GMAT [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 11:50
I have three thoughts:

1) To me, your work experience reads as below average. Spend a LOT of time thinking about the right mix of stories to sell it as above average.

2) Stern and Yale don't make sense to me. Yeah, you can go into consulting from there, but why are those your top two schools? Stern and Yale both send right about 50% of their classes into finance/accounting. I think Ross and Fuqua could be better targets for you because they send a higher % of their classes into consulting, the acceptance rates are way higher, and you're not sacrificing anything prestige-wise.

3) I think your profile sounds like a great fit for consulting, so I wish you the best of luck!

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Stanford Thread Master
Schools: Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 68

Re: Profile Evaluation - 3.16 GPA & Projected 690-720 GMAT [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 12:22
All kidding aside, you are going to need much more specific short and long term goals to get into any of these schools. The good news is that you have a whole year to figure this stuff out. I didn't realize I wanted to apply to business school until this July, and I really wish now that I had figured that out a few months earlier and given myself more time to answer the question about why I wanted an MBA (so that I had more time to take the GMAT, research programs and subsequently, write essays).

Assuming you are satisfied with your GMAT score after you take your test in December, my best advice is to take a solid month immediately afterwards to really research your short and long term career goals, then re-assess which schools would be the best fit for you based on those goals. It's hard to select which schools to apply to unless you know why you're going, right? Also, looking at your profile, your status as a younger candidate is probably going to make adcom question your maturity. Having specific, realistic goals will really help assuage those potential concerns. Good luck with your GMAT!

Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - 3.16 GPA & Projected 690-720 GMAT [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 14:15
I agree with everything thats been said. The reason your WE is weak is b/c of its duration, I don't think the quality is that bad.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GRE 1: 1310 Q630 V680
GPA: 3.16
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 14

Re: Profile Evaluation - 3.16 GPA & Projected 690-720 GMAT [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 14:34
Since I am not applying until next fall (2011) for fall 2012 intake, will the duration of my WE be as much of a concern? It will be 2+ years at that time.

Did I help you? Please give me kudos.

Each moment of time ought to be put to proper use, either in business, in improving the mind, in the innocent and necessary relaxations and entertainments of life, or in the care of the moral and religious part of our nature.

-William Andrus Alcott

Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - 3.16 GPA & Projected 690-720 GMAT [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2010, 19:45
2 is the minimum requirement at most schools with around 5 being the average, so yes and no

Re: Profile Evaluation - 3.16 GPA & Projected 690-720 GMAT   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2010, 19:45