Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 02:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - 3 Years Out

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - 3 Years Out [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 07:52
Overall:
• Political Science major with a 3.50 undergraduate GPA, Class of 2011
o I graduated having never taken an accounting or finance course before but realized towards the end of college that my interests lied in a more quantitative field than anything I could directly use my Political Science degree for (I had legitimate reasons that went beyond “there is money in finance” but I will try and keep this short)
• I interned for 1.5 years at small, no-name shops where I tried to gain any experience I could while filling in the finance/business gaps that I had accumulated as an undergrad
• Passed Level I (June 2012) and Level II (June 2013) of the CFA exam and will be taking Level III in June 2014
• In December, I began working as an analyst at a Fund of Funds at a boutique investment firm in NYC (roughly $1 billion AUM, 10 employees)
• I am going to start volunteering with Make-A-Wish in the fall
I look at the MBA process as a goal to work backwards from. As a result, I wanted to start this thread now and begin laying the groundwork for entrance in, say, 2016 at age 27. By then I anticipate:
• Having passed Level III of the CFA
• Remaining at my current company with an eye towards promotions and additional responsibility
• Continuing to learn everything I can about value investing and the industry as a whole
• Volunteering with Make-A-Wish the entire time
• Putting the 600+ hours I put into CFA Level II towards the GMAT and maxing out my score (my brother got a 760, I expect/hope to be in the 720 range)

I would only consider top business schools (Columbia, NYU, etc) if I am able to accomplish the above bullet points otherwise I don’t think it would be worth the investment. That said, I am extremely willing to listen to advice (maybe to a fault at times) and fully intend on doing significantly more research before making any decisions.

My question is, what suggestions do you have over the next three years when it comes to maxing out my candidacy attractiveness? I know I need more work experience and am nowhere near applying for an MBA but I figured this site would be the perfect place to help lay the groundwork for preparation. Thanks in advance, I truly appreciate it!

Mark
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Schools: HBS '13 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q V
GPA: 3.72
WE: Consulting (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - 3 Years Out [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2013, 22:19
Expert's post
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your message. It sounds like you’re taking the right approach by planning your MBA strategy early on in the process. I also think it’s great that you’ve targeted an industry that you are interested in and have taken steps towards building a quantitative background since your undergraduate program.
As you move forward, it’s important to first decide what your long-term career goals are after business school. Then you can determine which of the top programs is the best fit based on your objectives and past experiences. Once you’ve come up with a target list, you’ll want to shoot for a GMAT score that is at or above their median score, and make sure that your grades and professional experience are in line with the statistics published on their website.
However, it is equally important to understand what each school’s admissions committee values in a candidate. Most applicants start with strong academic and professional background and a competitive GMAT score. But if you’re targeting a top school you also need an application strategy that allows you to stand out from applicants with strong scores and professional history. To build an effective application you’ll want to identify your “points of difference,” or the things that make you a candidate who is unique in ways that matter to admissions officers.
Given that you have some time before you apply, you’ll also want to identify areas of opportunity that these particular schools might view as weaknesses. It sounds like right now you don’t have a lot of volunteer work on your resume. You’re right to address that, but you’ll want to choose areas of service that you’re passionate about and/or allow you to demonstrate leadership potential.
As you begin to prepare for the application process, you can check out the planning tab on the MBA Prep School website.

If you have any more questions, or want to get some information about our admissions consulting and application strategy services please PM me.

All Best,
Krista

If you find my response/post useful then please give it kudos!

Krista Nylen
MBA Prep School
San Francisco, CA

Re: Profile Evaluation - 3 Years Out   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2013, 22:19