Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Dec 2014, 20:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation 30 year, engineer / financial consultant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation 30 year, engineer / financial consultant [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 03:32
1. Work experience during College
Technical consultant at larger telecom enterprise company, working on implementation projects (10000 users+) in various locations in Sweden.

2. Work experience after college
4 years at a boutique consulting firm within Central Banking / Asset Management working with clients in North America, Europe and Middle East. Project managed smaller projects (2-3 consultants) and held company internal certification couses.

3. Extra curricular activities
Swedish National Team (U21) Underwater rugby

4. GMAT

5. Education
Chalmers University of Techonolgy (Gothenburg, Sweden) – 5 year Master of Science in Engineering and Computer Science GPA 2.4 (majority of courses within applied (financial) mathematics with very high level of difficulty, e.g. Masters thesis on Stocastic Processes)

6. Military Service
Swedish Naval special forces: Operative Mine clearance Diver, (Operative deployment at active clearance ship)

7. Target Progarms
MIT, Stern, Yale, Tuck, Cornell

8. Goals
Since working as an consultant within the asset management industry, the short term career goal (post MBA) would be to work within investment banking to further develope my expertise with regards to investment decision making and asset management, my long term goal (10+ years post MBA) being to start an investment firm specializing on investments in the renewable energy sector.

9. Personal
I am a native of Gothenburg, Sweden. 31 years of age. Avid road racing cyclist and football player.

Are the listed programs shooting for the stars in my case or would it be a resonable shot given strong endorsments from colleagues and former clients?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 66

Re: Profile evaluation 30 year, engineer / financial consultant [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 20:22
Expert's post
eaglecoth wrote:
Technical consultant at larger telecom enterprise company, working on implementation projects (10000 users+) in various locations in Sweden.

4 years at a boutique consulting firm within Central Banking / Asset Management working with clients in North America, Europe and Middle East. Project managed smaller projects (2-3 consultants) and held company internal certification couses.

4. GMAT

5. Education
Chalmers University of Techonolgy (Gothenburg, Sweden) – 5 year Master of Science in Engineering and Computer Science GPA 2.4 (majority of courses within applied (financial) mathematics with very high level of difficulty, e.g. Masters thesis on Stocastic Processes)

6. Military Service
Swedish Naval special forces: Operative Mine clearance Diver, (Operative deployment at active clearance ship)

7. Target Progarms

8. Goals
Since working as an consultant within the asset management industry, the short term career goal (post MBA) would be to work within investment banking to further develope my expertise with regards to investment decision making and asset management, my long term goal (10+ years post MBA) being to start an investment firm specializing on investments in the renewable energy sector.

9. Personal
I am a native of Gothenburg, Sweden. 31 years of age. Avid road racing cyclist and football player.

Are the listed programs shooting for the stars in my case or would it be a resonable shot given strong endorsments from colleagues and former clients?

OVerall, you have a very impressive profile. The one issue is your GPA. Did you have below average, average, or above average grades when you were in college? A 2.4 is below average for your target schools, where above average grades are the norm. ON the other hand, a lot of foreign universities have differing grading scales and a straight "translation" or conversion doesn't do justice to your undergrad performance. So before I reply, could you just answer that question? If your performance is not representative of what you are capable of, were there extenuating circumstances that contributed to the sub-standard performance?

Thanks,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation 30 year, engineer / financial consultant [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 17:39
Hi,

My grades are on average for my school. Given the courses I've taken, I would say that they are sligthly above average. I am certainly capable of high academic achievements (as part of my record can show), however during my studies, I worked part time and was happy to pass the courses and graduate. I didn't plan for further studies at that time and was confident I'd a job I'd like after college either way.

If you consider admission to the schools I've previously posted unlikely, I would love to have suggestions to schools which I could have a resonable chance.

/Eaglecoth
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 66

Re: Profile evaluation 30 year, engineer / financial consultant [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 23:43
Expert's post
Accepted.com wrote:
eaglecoth wrote:

4. GMAT

5. Education

6. Military Service

7. Target Progarms

8. Goals

9. Personal

OVerall, you have a very impressive profile. The one issue is your GPA. Did you have below average, average, or above average grades when you were in college? A 2.4 is below average for your target schools, where above average grades are the norm. ON the other hand, a lot of foreign universities have differing grading scales and a straight "translation" or conversion doesn't do justice to your undergrad performance. So before I reply, could you just answer that question? If your performance is not representative of what you are capable of, were there extenuating circumstances that contributed to the sub-standard performance?

Thanks,
Linda

If your grades were above average, you have a competitive profile for your target schools. Please let me know if you would like help with your MBA application.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog