Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 19:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 00:22
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Paul,

First of all, thanks a lot for taking time to look at all our profiles, it’s very much appreciated. Here’s mine, if you could help me out that would be great.

Belgian / Romanian, 28 year-old male.

No GMAT yet, but aiming to get at least 700 (otherwise I will not send any acceptance request)

Master of Science in Management at Solvay Business School (Brussels, Belgium – 14th European undergrad school), graduated cum laude.

CFA Level I candidate, took the exam in June, think it went well.

I worked 2 years for the Belgian Post Group at cost controller, where I quickly acquired supervision functions.

Then moved to Fortis Bank in Brussels as a corporate finance trainee beginning 2006 – been there since then, work there as a junior associate.

Languages

Romanian is my mother tongue. I’m also fluent in French, Dutch and English.

Extracurriculars

- I’m born in Romania, and I lived in Venezuela, South Africa, New Zealand and Belgium, country where I’m currently based. I travelled a lot since my parents are musicians and my dad got contracts in all these places. I also studied 6 months in Lausanne (Switzerland)

- Like any other self-respecting Romanian, I’m football-mad :-) (soccer in the US). I play football in a British expat football club in Brussels. The club is very international with more than 50 nationalities represented. I’ve captained one of the teams for 2 years.

- Generally speaking I’ve always been involved in the exat / international community in my personal life (the presence of the European Commission attracts a lot of nationalities in Brussels), although I’m considered as a “local” (I’ve been living in Brussels for almost 20 years).

- I also organised trips in Budapest (Hungary) and the Venice region (Italy) for the football club, where we played against several regional teams, combining culture, leisure and sports.

- Music / painting: I organised logistics for classical orchestras staying in Brussels (hotel, transport, etc) – my mom organises concerts, and I was in charge of the logistical part. I also organised a painting expo in Brussels for a famous Romanian painter, within the framework of Romania’s integration in the EU.

- I tutored a lot of kids when I was in university (not original I know, but still quite a challenge! :-) ). I coached one of those kids almost full time for every aspect of his schoolwork.

- I love travelling, and spend a lot of money on that :-) I love visiting friends all over in Europe, or city-tripping. Living in Belgium, I’m close to almost every major city in Europe. There aren’t a lot of countries in Europe that I haven’t been to yet.

After MBA

I’m considering several options. I’d like to continue working in corporate finance, or private equity maybe. But another appealing possibility would be consulting (less though).

I’m aiming for top schools – otherwise I’d rather not do an MBA at all. I haven’t chosen one yet to be honest.

I think my profile is pretty decent on the international aspect – lived in several countries, speak several languages, in contact with people from very different backgrounds. However, I reckon that my “leadership” and “extracurricular” profiles aren’t that strong (compared to some of the stuff I read here anyway). I could get some good recommendation letters.

Do you reckon I have a shot at a top 10 school?

If you have any other question on my profile, don’t hesitate and ask.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2007, 11:22
Audio wrote:
Hi Paul,

First of all, thanks a lot for taking time to look at all our profiles, it’s very much appreciated. Here’s mine, if you could help me out that would be great.

Belgian / Romanian, 28 year-old male.

No GMAT yet, but aiming to get at least 700 (otherwise I will not send any acceptance request)

Master of Science in Management at Solvay Business School (Brussels, Belgium – 14th European undergrad school), graduated cum laude.

CFA Level I candidate, took the exam in June, think it went well.

I worked 2 years for the Belgian Post Group at cost controller, where I quickly acquired supervision functions.

Then moved to Fortis Bank in Brussels as a corporate finance trainee beginning 2006 – been there since then, work there as a junior associate.

Languages

Romanian is my mother tongue. I’m also fluent in French, Dutch and English.

Extracurriculars

- I’m born in Romania, and I lived in Venezuela, South Africa, New Zealand and Belgium, country where I’m currently based. I travelled a lot since my parents are musicians and my dad got contracts in all these places. I also studied 6 months in Lausanne (Switzerland)

- Like any other self-respecting Romanian, I’m football-mad :-) (soccer in the US). I play football in a British expat football club in Brussels. The club is very international with more than 50 nationalities represented. I’ve captained one of the teams for 2 years.

- Generally speaking I’ve always been involved in the exat / international community in my personal life (the presence of the European Commission attracts a lot of nationalities in Brussels), although I’m considered as a “local” (I’ve been living in Brussels for almost 20 years).

- I also organised trips in Budapest (Hungary) and the Venice region (Italy) for the football club, where we played against several regional teams, combining culture, leisure and sports.

- Music / painting: I organised logistics for classical orchestras staying in Brussels (hotel, transport, etc) – my mom organises concerts, and I was in charge of the logistical part. I also organised a painting expo in Brussels for a famous Romanian painter, within the framework of Romania’s integration in the EU.

- I tutored a lot of kids when I was in university (not original I know, but still quite a challenge! :-) ). I coached one of those kids almost full time for every aspect of his schoolwork.

- I love travelling, and spend a lot of money on that :-) I love visiting friends all over in Europe, or city-tripping. Living in Belgium, I’m close to almost every major city in Europe. There aren’t a lot of countries in Europe that I haven’t been to yet.

After MBA

I’m considering several options. I’d like to continue working in corporate finance, or private equity maybe. But another appealing possibility would be consulting (less though).

I’m aiming for top schools – otherwise I’d rather not do an MBA at all. I haven’t chosen one yet to be honest.

I think my profile is pretty decent on the international aspect – lived in several countries, speak several languages, in contact with people from very different backgrounds. However, I reckon that my “leadership” and “extracurricular” profiles aren’t that strong (compared to some of the stuff I read here anyway). I could get some good recommendation letters.

Do you reckon I have a shot at a top 10 school?

If you have any other question on my profile, don’t hesitate and ask.

Audio,

Congratulations, you win my Distinctive Profile of the Day award. I do think you have a shot at top 10 schools, assuming you get a 700+ on the GMAT and can emphasize whatever is fast-track or high-impact about your career progress. The fact that your professional career is not in the Wow category may eliminate the top 5 schools from consideration, but your personal and extracurricular profile is a big asset for you, and I recommend emphasizing it. To compensate for your professional profile, I recommend emphasizing in particular your *leadership* experiences in your extracurricular activities. So I see your career pace as your potential weakness, but believe you may be able to accentuate your strengths and a strong GMAT to get into some top schools.

Hope this helps,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2007, 05:26
Paul,

Thanks a lot for your advice, I appreciate it.

Other question: considering my interest for IB or PE, whihc schools would you recommend? I was thinking about Chicago, Wharton and Stern, do you:

1. think I can get in these schools?
2. see any other that would be interesting and accessible for me?

Thanks again!
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2007, 08:41
Audio wrote:
Paul,

Thanks a lot for your advice, I appreciate it.

Other question: considering my interest for IB or PE, whihc schools would you recommend? I was thinking about Chicago, Wharton and Stern, do you:

1. think I can get in these schools?
2. see any other that would be interesting and accessible for me?

Thanks again!

Audio,

Yes, I think you have a shot at all three of those schools.

You may want to see a Wall Street Journal article from June 12 entitled "Private Equity Is in a Class of Its Own" for some ideas on which schools are strong in PE. Chicago, HBS, Wharton, Columbia, but also Dartmouth Tuck are highlighted. Other strong finance schools are MIT, Michigan, UCLA, Yale, and Haas.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2007, 08:58
Hi again Paul,

I have a question concerning the TOEFL. As you know, foreign students have to take the IBT TOEFL exam. Do you have any idea of what I should be aiming for as a minimum for this exam to get into schools like Stern, etc? They don't mention any specific limits, but considerning my profile, what would you expect?

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 08:57
Audio wrote:
Hi again Paul,

I have a question concerning the TOEFL. As you know, foreign students have to take the IBT TOEFL exam. Do you have any idea of what I should be aiming for as a minimum for this exam to get into schools like Stern, etc? They don't mention any specific limits, but considerning my profile, what would you expect?

Audio,

600 would probably do it.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 01:05
Hi again Paul,

Considering that my objective is the financial world - investment banking, private equity, or even hedge funds since I'll have the CFA accreditation also - I've determined a couple of schools that would suit me.

I was thinking about Wharton, Stern, Sloan, HBS, Stanford, LBS, University of Chicago. Considering my profile above, am I aiming too high? Which of these schools should I eliminate / keep? Do you see any other schools I could go to? (European schools are good too). Considering that I already have an undergraduate degree in finance and that I'll get my CFA accreditation soon, are there any good 1Y programs for me?

Thanks a lot for your precious help Paul!
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 15:34
Audio wrote:
Hi again Paul,

Considering that my objective is the financial world - investment banking, private equity, or even hedge funds since I'll have the CFA accreditation also - I've determined a couple of schools that would suit me.

I was thinking about Wharton, Stern, Sloan, HBS, Stanford, LBS, University of Chicago. Considering my profile above, am I aiming too high? Which of these schools should I eliminate / keep? Do you see any other schools I could go to? (European schools are good too). Considering that I already have an undergraduate degree in finance and that I'll get my CFA accreditation soon, are there any good 1Y programs for me?

Audio,

HBS and Stanford may be reaching too high. I already told you my opinion of your chances at Wharton, Chicago, and Stern. As for European schools, you may have a chance at LBS; Oxford Said places alot of people in finance roles. You might want to consider MIT, UCLA, and/or Haas--all highly ranked in finance.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2007, 00:38
pbodine wrote:
Audio wrote:
Hi again Paul,

Audio,

HBS and Stanford may be reaching too high. I already told you my opinion of your chances at Wharton, Chicago, and Stern. As for European schools, you may have a chance at LBS; Oxford Said places alot of people in finance roles. You might want to consider MIT, UCLA, and/or Haas--all highly ranked in finance.

Good luck,

Hi Paul,

Thanks a million for your help. I have finally decided to add Columbia to my list too.

Just wanted to tell you also that I bought your book, and it has proved to be very helpful indeed!

Thanks a lot,

Audio
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 334 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2007, 19:05
Expert's post
Audio wrote:
pbodine wrote:
Audio wrote:
Hi again Paul,

Audio,

Good luck,

Hi Paul,

Thanks a million for your help. I have finally decided to add Columbia to my list too.

Just wanted to tell you also that I bought your book, and it has proved to be very helpful indeed!

Thanks a lot,

Audio

Audio,

Glad to hear it! If you feel like adding a brief glowing review to my book's Amazon.com page I would be eternally in your debt.
Thanks!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2007, 07:00
Accepted.com wrote:
Audio wrote:
pbodine wrote:
Audio wrote:
Hi again Paul,

Audio,

Good luck,

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot,

Audio

Audio,

Glad to hear it! If you feel like adding a brief glowing review to my book's Amazon.com page I would be eternally in your debt.
Thanks!

Paul, I bought the book on amazon.co.uk, I put a review there (5 stars of course). Thanks again for your help! It has been priceless.

PS: do you also give advice for specific essay topics? I would have a couple of questions for you in that sense (among other essay 1 for Chicago)
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2007, 22:10
Expert's post
Audio wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
Audio wrote:
pbodine wrote:
Audio wrote:
Hi again Paul,

Audio,

Good luck,

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot,

Audio

Audio,

Thanks!

Paul, I bought the book on amazon.co.uk, I put a review there (5 stars of course). Thanks again for your help! It has been priceless.

PS: do you also give advice for specific essay topics? I would have a couple of questions for you in that sense (among other essay 1 for Chicago)

Audio,

Thanks for the review! I do offer general advice for essay topics but I can't review someone's actual essay on this site (I can do it on a paying client-consultant basis, of course). Also, I've answered a fair number of your posts already so we might want to give other posters a chance.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2007, 04:33
Thanks a lot for your help Paul. It has been priceless. I'll certainly recommend your book in the future to all MBA applicants.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2007, 19:14
Expert's post
Audio wrote:
Thanks a lot for your help Paul. It has been priceless. I'll certainly recommend your book in the future to all MBA applicants.

Thank you, sir.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2007, 03:26
Hi Paul,

If you don't have time to answer this question, I understand - I've used a lot of your time already and you have to give priority to other people. But if you do have time, could you answer the following question?

I have just taken the GMAT and got 750 (V 42 Q 49 AWA 5.0). I'm applying for Wharton, Chicago, Stern and Columbia. Will this score make these schools less of a "long shot" (in other words compensate for some weaker aspects of my application, such as my professional career), or is the GMAT just a question of being above a certain acceptable level (for example 700 in this case)?

Thanks a lot for your time.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2007, 21:09
Expert's post
Audio wrote:
Hi Paul,

If you don't have time to answer this question, I understand - I've used a lot of your time already and you have to give priority to other people. But if you do have time, could you answer the following question?

I have just taken the GMAT and got 750 (V 42 Q 49 AWA 5.0). I'm applying for Wharton, Chicago, Stern and Columbia. Will this score make these schools less of a "long shot" (in other words compensate for some weaker aspects of my application, such as my professional career), or is the GMAT just a question of being above a certain acceptable level (for example 700 in this case)?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Audio,

You have a very distinctive profile and your GMAT score sends a strong signal so I would not dream of discouraging you from applying to these four schools. I think Columbia is the biggest longshot and Stern the most doable. B-schools love unusual applicants so if you can give them some strong leadership stories in your essays you would have a definite shot at getting into these schools. Go for it.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2008, 08:24
Paul,

I have been accepted to Wharton and Chicago - I stopped the Stern process. I just wanted to thank you once again for your precious comments, they have been invaluable. Also, your book really helped me write my essays, I would recommend it to anybody! It definitively gave me a clear idea of how to structure and write the essays.

I couldn't have made it without you - thanks a million!

Audio, a very grateful future MBA student

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2008, 13:49
Expert's post