Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Dec 2014, 09:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - 4yrs work experience while in college

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Profile Evaluation - 4yrs work experience while in college [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 10:33
Hi,

I'm an Italian male, law student about to graduate with a 5yrs business law degree, my GPA is currently 3.7.
I'm a candidate to early graduation (4 years instead of 5).

When I was in high school I got a part - time job in a printing company for two years.
I started to work for a corporate law firm, an important one in southern Italy, right out of high school as a paralegal helping the managing partner researching for very important cases (everything can be documented).
In 2011 me and a team of IT people have developed a cloud computing project which led us to the final stage of a business plan competition.
Last year I took a leave of absence during the summer to go to London and work for a major fashion retail company as a sales assistant during the olympics.
I've represented students in the city council of my town.

My career goals are to combine the law degree, the experience earned during the years as a paralegal with a MBA and hopefully take a work in the M&A field with a primary focus on emerging markets.

My question is: considered all of the above and perhaps good TOEFL and GMAT results do you think is ok to apply for a MBA in my last year of college? If so, which schools would you suggest?

Thanks a lot.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation - 4yrs work experience while in college [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 11:56
Thank you for your posting.

You do have a background that many business schools will appreciate, even thought you have limited full-time work experience. However, please study hard for your GMAT and TOEFL exams -- simply put, the higher your scores the easier your chance of gaining admissions to a premier program.

As for those schools that accept students right from college, look at Columbia, Johnson, Anderson, Ross, Booth and Yale. Each of these accept a different number of students directly from college each year, and it is hard to tell them number they will accept each year - but these schools have accepted students in your situation year after year.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Profile Evaluation - 4yrs work experience while in college [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 14:20
Thanks a lot.
I really appreciate your advise.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
WE: Sales (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation - 4yrs work experience while in college [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 19:33
profile evaluation - gmat 640

Hi ,
i took the gmat 3 weeks ago and got 640 ( q 47, v 31 ) - 73 percentile.
this was my 3rd attempt . i got 520 in 1st attempt ,and 620 in the 2nd.
i have a total work exp of 12+ years - all in the finance industry.
GPA 3.0, Indian Origin

Though my dream schools are MIT, NYU, and LBS. but with this low score i'm not sure which univ will suit me.

need help on this.

Thanks
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation - 4yrs work experience while in college [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 18:32
Thanks for your posting.

To be competitive at the schools on your list, you need to increase your GMAT score at least 70 points. This can be done, but it will take some work. After that you have to submit a great application - one that is competitive with your peers. The journey is long and difficult - and it is meant to be that way. However, do not give up and you will achieve your goal.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: Profile Evaluation - 4yrs work experience while in college   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2013, 18:32