Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation 5 Yrs Work Ex GMAT 710

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke, Emory, UNC Chapel Hill
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation 5 Yrs Work Ex GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 18:27
Hi,

I recently took my GMAT again... Would appreciate it if you can evaluate my profile.
I have 5 Years of work experience, and am currently based in US. I am working as part of Risk Advisory Services for a consulting firm.
My job involves implementing Risk Analytics Products which enables banks to calculate their Regulatory Capital. I Have worked with various Banks in Nigeria, China, US, Bulgaria. I have good international exposure and have good experience in Credit Risk technology and Risk Management Domain specifically Basel II.

I have taken GMAT multiple times and below are the scores:
August 2009: 600 V28 Q44
June 2010: 640 V30 Q48
Sep 2010: 600 V25 Q47
August 2012: 710 V37 Q50

UnderGrad:
Bachelor of Engineering from India, Graduated with First Class Degree (61%)
Strong Extra-Curricular achievements in College from 2003 to 2007.

I am targeting the below schools:

Dream: Duke, Anderson, Cornell
Target: Tepper, Mcombs, Emory, McDonough, Olin, UNC, Chapel hill
Safe: Fisher, Boston University, USC Marshall

I would appreciate any feedback from you.

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Evaluation 5 Yrs Work Ex GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 21:55
Expert's post
arjungupta wrote:
Hi,

I recently took my GMAT again... Would appreciate it if you can evaluate my profile.
I have 5 Years of work experience, and am currently based in US. I am working as part of Risk Advisory Services for a consulting firm.
My job involves implementing Risk Analytics Products which enables banks to calculate their Regulatory Capital. I Have worked with various Banks in Nigeria, China, US, Bulgaria. I have good international exposure and have good experience in Credit Risk technology and Risk Management Domain specifically Basel II.

I have taken GMAT multiple times and below are the scores:
August 2009: 600 V28 Q44
June 2010: 640 V30 Q48
Sep 2010: 600 V25 Q47
August 2012: 710 V37 Q50

UnderGrad:
Bachelor of Engineering from India, Graduated with First Class Degree (61%)
Strong Extra-Curricular achievements in College from 2003 to 2007.

I am targeting the below schools:

Dream: Duke, Anderson, Cornell
Target: Tepper, Mcombs, Emory, McDonough, Olin, UNC, Chapel hill
Safe: Fisher, Boston University, USC Marshall

I would appreciate any feedback from you.

Thanks!

Congratulations on your latest GMAT!

Before I respond can you tell me what you want to do after your MBA?

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation 5 Yrs Work Ex GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 05:05
Hi,

I am looking to work for Management Consulting Firms after my MBA. Target firms are like Mckinsey/Booze/Bain/BCG.
In short term, I would like to develop expertise in Finance and Strategy and would like to consult for Banks under broader horizons of Risk Management.

Thanks!
Expert Post

Re: Profile Evaluation 5 Yrs Work Ex GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 21:30
Expert's post
arjungupta wrote:
Hi,

I am looking to work for Management Consulting Firms after my MBA. Target firms are like Mckinsey/Booze/Bain/BCG.
In short term, I would like to develop expertise in Finance and Strategy and would like to consult for Banks under broader horizons of Risk Management.

Thanks!

Arjun,

Good work, I think you have assessed your profile and chosen your schools well. I would probably move USC from safety to Target. I also recommend that you apply to 4 (not all of the target programs.) You may want to consider adding NYU Stern to the dream programs. Or Rochester Simon to the target programs.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation 5 Yrs Work Ex GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 21:37
Linda,

Thanks for your assessment, appreciate it!

I am planning to apply to 8 schools, 4 Target, 2 Dream and 2 Safety.
I was earlier considering NYU Stern and Columbia, but later decided not to apply to these schools as my GMAT is below the average GMAT score of these schools and being an Indian, I would be expected to have a GMAT of at least 750 with a stellar undergraduate academic record.
Also, since I have taken GMAT multiple times, this affects my application negatively.

Thanks,
Arjun
Expert Post

Re: Profile Evaluation 5 Yrs Work Ex GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 21:47
Expert's post
arjungupta wrote:
Linda,

Thanks for your assessment, appreciate it!

I am planning to apply to 8 schools, 4 Target, 2 Dream and 2 Safety.
I was earlier considering NYU Stern and Columbia, but later decided not to apply to these schools as my GMAT is below the average GMAT score of these schools and being an Indian, I would be expected to have a GMAT of at least 750 with a stellar undergraduate academic record.
Also, since I have taken GMAT multiple times, this affects my application negatively.

Thanks,
Arjun

You're welcome.

I think 8 schools distributed as indicated and over two rounds makes a lot of sense.

Both NYU and CBS have experienced a significant downturn in application volume last year. So they may not be quite as tough as they were a few years ago. At the same time, I completely agree that the three schools you have listed as dream schools are excellent options and probably slightly easier to get into.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation 5 Yrs Work Ex GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 22:02
Linda,

I was not aware of the fact that there has been a downturn in applications at NYU and CBS.
I might consider them for R2, getting into these schools is a Looong shot for me but its worth it!
Thanks!

Regards,
Arjun
Expert Post

Re: Profile Evaluation 5 Yrs Work Ex GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 15:12
Expert's post
arjungupta wrote:
Linda,

I was not aware of the fact that there has been a downturn in applications at NYU and CBS.
I might consider them for R2, getting into these schools is a Looong shot for me but its worth it!
Thanks!

Regards,
Arjun

For more on which schools are up and down, please see http://poetsandquants.com/2012/09/07/co ... d-in-apps/ .

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation 5 Yrs Work Ex GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 22:15
Linda,

I have one quick question, as per my research I have seen that Emory and McCombs are biased towards high GMAT scores when it comes to Indian applicants.
I have not seen a any Indian student below 740 at these schools. Do you think that I should even consider these Schools given my GMAT scores?

I will really appreciate your feedback on this.

Thanks,
Arjun
Expert Post

Re: Profile Evaluation 5 Yrs Work Ex GMAT 710 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 21:35
Expert's post
arjungupta wrote:
Linda,

I have one quick question, as per my research I have seen that Emory and McCombs are biased towards high GMAT scores when it comes to Indian applicants.
I have not seen a any Indian student below 740 at these schools. Do you think that I should even consider these Schools given my GMAT scores?

I will really appreciate your feedback on this.

Thanks,
Arjun

Arjun,

I haven't seen any data that support the idea that all Indians at these two programs have GMATs of 740 or above and frankly I don't find that contention credible. I did see a couple of blog posts about Duke info sessions in India that blow that rumor out of the water for Duke, which has a comparable average GMAT to Emory or Mccombs. Here's one: http://amitkpandeyece.blogspot.com/2012 ... alore.html or http://spoonfulofmba.wordpress.com/2012 ... o-session/ .

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553