Thank you for using the timer!
We noticed you are actually not timing your practice. Click the START button first next time you use the timer.
There are many benefits to timing your practice, including:
Profile Evaluation - 680 GMAT [#permalink]
21 May 2013, 10:07
1) Brief description of work experience.
7 Yrs of work exp in Sept 2013 in top Indian IT company. The client for the project is one of top 5 financial instituions in the world.360 degree experience in IT starting as a Software Developer to QA Tester to Business Analyst .Currently as a Project Lead handling a team of 10 resources. I have a 360 degree experience in IT starting as a Software Developer to QA Tester to Business Analyst .Currently as a Project Lead handling a team of 10 resources. I have worked in USA for 3.5 years. For these 7 years , I have worked in Banking and Finance domain with a specialization in US Mortgage.
Also running a small startup business ,which I partner with my father . It is a new guest house and a small food joint setup in an area booming with business . I started it in Jan,2013 and investment for the startup was all done by me alone. Also have a short term experience of working in an outbound call center after final year in college and before joining full - time work in IT.
3) Qualification: B.Tech in Computer Science from reputed Indian University , GPA - 3.5 12th - 70% 10th - 92%
4) Extra-curricular activities. - Captain of school Basket ball team. - Won competitions related to shot put, javelin throw and long jump. - Commander of School marchinng team - Won the district painting competition for consecutive three years. - Active involvement in our school's NGO by teaching english and maths to poor children in the area and organizing events of food sharing and gift sharing with the poor children. - In college participated in college Fest. Played a role of event anchor and worked with core team for sponsorships in college fest. - In the past 7 years , represented company in basket ball meets , fashion shows . Anchored formal events and corporate picnics. Part of company Propel team - Family actively involved in community service through NGO's.Family has several donations in various educational institutions , hospitals and NGOs.I have volunteered in several such events.Member of a Lions Club and participate in several social activities. - Basic knowledge of French Language. - Done Interior Designing course and worked on several projects.
5) Important certifications - like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA. company certified -Certified in Basics of US Mortgage and Credit Reporting . Company sponsored PMP certifications prep is on going.
6) Target programs. Good schools in Asia Pacific , USA , Europe , Australia. Courses interested in are: Informations System, General Management, Strategic Management,e entrepreneurship.
7) When to apply? R1 2013-2014
8) Post-MBA goal. My short term Post MBA goal will be Consulting .My long term post-MBA goal is to grow my startup to have a chain of food joints .I also want to make a global impact to society and aspire to open my own NGO . I believe everything I want to do in life will be made easy with an MBA which will help develop the skill-set I need to grow my business ideas into scalable organizations while also making strides in global social concerns .
9) Additional Info Language fluency in 4 languages, advanced in 3 , and developmental in French. Hobby is painting . Take interest in Car Racing , horse riding and interior designing and decoration.I am a globetrotter and enjoy travelling. I love cooking Indian delicacies . I am a very good host and love to host cocktail and dinner parties .
My questions are 1) Which all colleges should I apply to based on my profile and choice of career. Preferential regions will be a )USA b) Europe/Australia c) Asia Pacific d)Canada. Kindly let me know the colleges that I have a shot at
Thank you for sharing all of your detailed background information. It sounds like you have solid and varied work and academic experiences to draw from, as well as extracurricular and community activities. Your GMAT puts you below the average score at top ranked US and global MBA programs, but that does not mean you don't have a chance at those programs, just makes it more competitive. If you did decide to take it again and bumped it up 40-50+ points it would help your chances at the higher ranked, more competitive programs. But either way you'll need to put together a strong application with compelling essays that convey exactly why you want the MBA, how it will help with your goals, and why that particular school's program is the best for you.
In terms of what schools to apply to, for consulting roles most MBA programs will thoroughly prepare you for that path as they are general management degrees. For entrepreneurship paths, again all MBA programs will provide you with relevant schools; programs particularly known for strengths in entrepreneurship include Babson in Boston, Haas, USC, Indiana University, Cambridge (Judge) in the UK, IE in Spain (as well as top programs Stanford, MIT, Harvard---if you really want to try for one of those as a 'reach' but would be very challenging to get into). I encourage you to spend some time researching programs and considering factors such as:
-region/location (and the fact that the region of the school could be relevant to your post-MBA career and where you plan to work after) -length of program (1 year vs 2) -class size and profile -specialties -curriculum -hiring profiles (look at school's websites under "Employment statistics" or "hiring profile" or "Career Services" to see graphs of where last year's grads went on to work)
Glad you have been doing some school research. Looks like you have decided to aim for the US? It appears that your approx categories or tiers are appropriate with your schools. In terms of 'narrowing it down to 7' , though, it would be difficult for me to advise you without knowing your personal factors or criteria of what you are looking for in an MBA program, such as some of the factors I mentioned previously, and how you came to this list as well.
I would generally advise taking time to think about geographic location, class size, teaching philosophy, curriculum, hiring industries, etc and compare these programs across the list of these (and any other relevant) factors.
If you would like to chat a bit more with a consultant about your profile, you are also welcome to participate in a free 30 minute consult with mbaMission (http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php) or another admissions consulting firm, if you feel you could benefit from discussing your situation in more depth.
Sorry not to be of more help but at this point it seems there are personal factors and criteria for you to assess to narrow down your list.