Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Nov 2014, 17:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 09:04
This post received
KUDOS
Dear Paul,

first of all thank you very much for devoting you time to read the topic.
Brief summary is as follows:
Work exp: 2 years (FT in Global Markets Department, Kazakhstani Branch of an International Bank), 0.5 (PT)
Citizenship: Kazakhstan
GPA: 4.17 out of 4.33 (Kazakhstan Institute of Management, Economics and Strategic Research, BA in Business Adm and Accounting with major in Finance)
GMAT: not taken yet
Extracurricular activities: fotography, charity orgs, debate club, fitness
Exchange student experience (Germany, 1 Semester)
Studied 1 semester at Medical University, then left for Finance.
Career goal: Investment Managemenet (not decided yet)
Pls kindly evaluate my chances of getting into top BS. Which of them (top 10) welcome candidates with less than 3 years of w/e. I do understand all the pros and cons. However my ambition to study MBA is well-thought.
Thank you vm!
:)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 444 [0], given: 32

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 10:20
Is your degree a 4-year Bachelor's degree?
Have you taken any practice GMAT exams yet? If so, what did you score and who is the exam written by?
Can you add any other information to your profile? Describe your leadership positions / responsibilities at your job, or in your community. These will all help Paul evaluate your profile in a meaningful way.
caleoptera wrote:
Dear Paul,

first of all thank you very much for devoting you time to read the topic.
Brief summary is as follows:
Work exp: 2 years (FT in Global Markets Department, Kazakhstani Branch of an International Bank), 0.5 (PT)
Citizenship: Kazakhstan
GPA: 4.17 out of 4.33 (Kazakhstan Institute of Management, Economics and Strategic Research, BA in Business Adm and Accounting with major in Finance)
GMAT: not taken yet
Extracurricular activities: fotography, charity orgs, debate club, fitness
Exchange student experience (Germany, 1 Semester)
Studied 1 semester at Medical University, then left for Finance.
Career goal: Investment Managemenet (not decided yet)
Pls kindly evaluate my chances of getting into top BS. Which of them (top 10) welcome candidates with less than 3 years of w/e. I do understand all the pros and cons. However my ambition to study MBA is well-thought.
Thank you vm!
:)

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 349 [0], given: 66

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2008, 17:35
Expert's post
[color=#0040FF]caleoptera,

Apologies for the delayed reply. Your profile is interesting, and the fact that you are female and (especially) from Kazakhstan will help you. You didn't mention much about leadership, and you will have to have some leadership stories to aim high. Among the top ten programs that are strong in finance, MIT Sloan, HBS, NYU Stern, and Stanford are known to accept a decent percentage of folks with relatively low work experience. An excellent finance school that is very friendly to low-experience applicants is Rochester.

Hope this helps,
[/color]

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 01:05
Thank you vm for your reply!
Now I have my GMAT results. They will help me to narrow down my school search.
With GMAT 600 (Q38, V 34) and a/m profile what are the schools I should target?
I've decided to concentrate on General Management rather than Finance and preferably 1 year program. Currently I am applying to ESCP-EAP Master in European Business. Really need your advice!
Many thanks,
Diana
Expert Post

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 17:20
Expert's post
Diana,

You should have a decent chance at the following one-year programs: Pittsburgh (Katz), Pepperdine, U. of Florida, U. of Miami, and
U. of San Francisco, among others.

Hope this helps,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2009, 11:54
Hi Linda,

thank you very much for your feedback.
After weighting all the pros and cons of MBA (at this point of time), I decided to apply to Master in Management Program. I was recently rejected by HEC Paris MBA saying that I'm too youn to apply to this degree. I now plan to apply to LBS Master in Management designated for students with 1 year of w/e or less. How do you think what are my chances with GMAT of 600 and a bit more than 1 year of FT experience? What level of competition should I expect?
What other Master in Management programs would you recommend both in US and Europe.

Many thanks,
Di
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2009, 15:56
caleoptera,

For the M.M. programs one year of work experience should be fine. With a 600 GMAT score, however, I think LBS is aiming too high. Consider schools like ESCP-EAP European School of Management, Essec Business School, RSM Erasmus University, or, for UK schools, City University Cass. All these M.M. programs are highly ranked by Financial Times.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Expert Post

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 20:19
Expert's post
caleoptera wrote:
Hi Linda,

thank you very much for your feedback.
After weighting all the pros and cons of MBA (at this point of time), I decided to apply to Master in Management Program. I was recently rejected by HEC Paris MBA saying that I'm too youn to apply to this degree. I now plan to apply to LBS Master in Management designated for students with 1 year of w/e or less. How do you think what are my chances with GMAT of 600 and a bit more than 1 year of FT experience? What level of competition should I expect?
What other Master in Management programs would you recommend both in US and Europe.

Many thanks,
Di

I think your 600 GMAT would be a problem at the LBS program. It's a new program so I can't point to stats from previous classes, but that's my gut feeling.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Intern
Intern

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2009, 00:34
Thank you, guys. However, I gave it a try and was invited for the interview :shock: :lol:
Adcom asked me to resit my gmat and I will follow this advice. :-D
I found lots of interesting info on your site! My interviewer is an adcom officer not alumni.
Do you have any idea of what it will look like?
Expert Post

Re: profile evaluation [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2009, 22:02
Expert's post
caleoptera wrote:
Thank you, guys. However, I gave it a try and was invited for the interview :shock: :lol:
Adcom asked me to resit my gmat and I will follow this advice. :-D
I found lots of interesting info on your site! My interviewer is an adcom officer not alumni.
Do you have any idea of what it will look like?

Great news! The MS program is a new program so there is not much specific to base my response on, but why don't you look at the feedback for London Business School's MBA program at theMBA Interview Feedback Database. Also I would anticipate questions about why you want an MBA now and what you want to do with the degree after you complete it.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553