Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 10:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - 700/8+ yrs exp/Indian - IT - too old?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellog,UCLA,Ross,Emory,Broad
WE 1: Software Banking Product Development
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - 700/8+ yrs exp/Indian - IT - too old? [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 01:50
Hi,

Thanks for the good work you are doing over here.

Request you to kindly analyze my profile

 GMAT score : 700 ( Q=48; V=38) , Nov-2009 (had given it 2 times previously - 630 and 650)
 Analytical Writing : 5.0
 Citizenship: Indian
 Currently working and residing in : Singapore (past 3.5 yrs)
 Age: 30
 Degree: B.E (Computer Engg.)
 Year of graduation: 2003
 Years of experience: 8.5 years
 Current Employment Oracle Financial Services Software - Since Feb-2005. Mumbai and SG.
 Current Designation : Software development Manager
 Experience: Banking Domain - Origination, Interfaces, Payments. Working on various technologies in used in Flexcube-Retail. Now working on Next generation product. All new domain , new tech.
 Extra Curricular activities:
• Participated various events at school and college level,
• Was the member of Organizing Committee for cultural activities for my company in Singapore and organized many events like bowling day, family day.

I had taken up a leadership role since a very young age and have been managing a big team and a module within a huge project for last 3.5 yrs. I have been managing a big team, from a remote location (in comparison to the project "nerve-centre") , have led team members from 6 different nationalities. My designation has changed since 2009 then and am now considered a Manager rather than a team-member.

But I feel the urge to know more, learn the business side : marketing, finance, strategy , business management.
for example
1) how do businesses work
2) how to setup your own company
3) how do you sell an IT product.

I keep thinking about these questions and I am sure might get some guidance from books but somewhere I feel MBA is necessary.

My ultimate goal is to move up gradually through the management path, and the MBA will help prepare me for future opportunities as they come along.
If I had it in my hand, I really would want to be open about it and allow the MBA experience to open new doors to me.
But yes, I have no problems in mentioning or planning from now, that I would like to remain in the Technology Industry preferably in the consulting for the banking domain.

Can I do this right now by just switching jobs? Probably not.

I am a re-applicant.

Schools I had thought were a good fit for me 3 years back when I applied in 2009 but ended up applying to only 2.

Long shot : 1) Cornell 2) Emory 3) CMU Tepper 4) UNC Kenan-Flagler
Good Chance 1) Kelley 2) Austin
Safe Bets : 1) NUS - applied and dinged 2) HKUST 3) Broad - MSU 4) NTU - applied and dinged

As you can see, my safe bets rejected me. But I think my profile has changed a lot since then and I am ripe now to do an MBA.

What do you think of my choice of schools above in 2009. Are they still good suitable for my profile?
I have following specific questions. Request you to go through these and give me a few pointers on
1) Choice of schools for Fall 2013
a) Have I outgrown 2 yr MBA? Should I look for 1-1.5 yr programs (Cornell, Emory,Columbia in US and Oxford,Insead,Judge)
b) Should I look at other programs and not necessarily top 20. Outside US? Europe/Asia?
2) What can I do now to improve my profile?
3) Should I not show a tendency towards changing job function and say just wanna move up the ladder and do program management/project management?

I am sorry this is a long query. Let me know your analysis and guidance for Aug 2013.

Warden Samuel Norton: I believe in two things: discipline and the Bible. Here you'll receive both. Put your trust in the Lord; your ass belongs to me. Welcome to Shawshank.

Rocky to his son :
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain't you! You're better than that!

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - 700/8+ yrs exp/Indian - IT - too old? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 13:28
Expert's post
neeravks wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the good work you are doing over here.

Request you to kindly analyze my profile

 GMAT score : 700 ( Q=48; V=38) , Nov-2009 (had given it 2 times previously - 630 and 650)
 Analytical Writing : 5.0
 Citizenship: Indian
 Currently working and residing in : Singapore (past 3.5 yrs)
 Age: 30
 Degree: B.E (Computer Engg.)
 Year of graduation: 2003
 Years of experience: 8.5 years
 Current Employment Oracle Financial Services Software - Since Feb-2005. Mumbai and SG.
 Current Designation : Software development Manager
 Experience: Banking Domain - Origination, Interfaces, Payments. Working on various technologies in used in Flexcube-Retail. Now working on Next generation product. All new domain , new tech.
 Extra Curricular activities:
• Participated various events at school and college level,
• Was the member of Organizing Committee for cultural activities for my company in Singapore and organized many events like bowling day, family day.

I had taken up a leadership role since a very young age and have been managing a big team and a module within a huge project for last 3.5 yrs. I have been managing a big team, from a remote location (in comparison to the project "nerve-centre") , have led team members from 6 different nationalities. My designation has changed since 2009 then and am now considered a Manager rather than a team-member.

But I feel the urge to know more, learn the business side : marketing, finance, strategy , business management.
for example
1) how do businesses work
2) how to setup your own company
3) how do you sell an IT product.

I keep thinking about these questions and I am sure might get some guidance from books but somewhere I feel MBA is necessary.

My ultimate goal is to move up gradually through the management path, and the MBA will help prepare me for future opportunities as they come along.
If I had it in my hand, I really would want to be open about it and allow the MBA experience to open new doors to me.
But yes, I have no problems in mentioning or planning from now, that I would like to remain in the Technology Industry preferably in the consulting for the banking domain.

Can I do this right now by just switching jobs? Probably not.

I am a re-applicant.

Schools I had thought were a good fit for me 3 years back when I applied in 2009 but ended up applying to only 2.

Long shot : 1) Cornell 2) Emory 3) CMU Tepper 4) UNC Kenan-Flagler
Good Chance 1) Kelley 2) Austin
Safe Bets : 1) NUS - applied and dinged 2) HKUST 3) Broad - MSU 4) NTU - applied and dinged

As you can see, my safe bets rejected me. But I think my profile has changed a lot since then and I am ripe now to do an MBA.

What do you think of my choice of schools above in 2009. Are they still good suitable for my profile?
I have following specific questions. Request you to go through these and give me a few pointers on
1) Choice of schools for Fall 2013
a) Have I outgrown 2 yr MBA? Should I look for 1-1.5 yr programs (Cornell, Emory,Columbia in US and Oxford,Insead,Judge)
b) Should I look at other programs and not necessarily top 20. Outside US? Europe/Asia?
2) What can I do now to improve my profile?
3) Should I not show a tendency towards changing job function and say just wanna move up the ladder and do program management/project management?

I am sorry this is a long query. Let me know your analysis and guidance for Aug 2013.

Your profile has certainly changed since 2009 since you are now in a managerial role. The issue isn't really that you've outgrown the 2-year MBA as much as you've outgrown the 27-28 year olds that would surround you in that classroom. Cambridge, Oxford, and INSEAD all do have higher average student ages, so I do think they make better choices for you (as do other programs in Europe like IMD). I also think you could consider waiting a few more years and doing a program like the Nanyang Fellows, which is aimed at mid-career professionals.
There is no stigma or downside to applying with an interest in a career change: most applicants and accepted students are interested in a career change of some kind. The key is to show the connection between your previous work and your future path.
The best way to improve your profile is to continue outperforming expectations both at work and in the community: generate results and impacts and you'll be noticed.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog