Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 00:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - 700 GMAT, 9 years IT Experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Profile Evaluation - 700 GMAT, 9 years IT Experience [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 08:16
Hi Paul,

Please have a look at my profile, I am targeting mainly1 year courses because of my age, but open to 2 year courses as well. I have a list of dream schools noted below, Can you please help me do a level set on what can be "Likely" and "Possible" schools.

Basic Demographics
33 Male Indian (currently working in USA)

GMAT
Attempt 1: 650
Attempt 2: 650
Attempt 3: 700 (q50\v34), 5 AWA

Education

10th: 84%
12th: 80%
Degree: 70%

Did my schooling from in India and went on for Bachelor of Engineering (B.E) in Computer Science and Engineering from VTU, the 12th best university in India.

Work Experience

Total 9 years in IT Consultant (ERP).

I am working in a global top IT company as a Service Delivery Manager. Previously I have been in an Techno Functional ERP Consultant position (Oracle's J.D.Edwards).
4 years experience in India and 5 years in the US in multiple Client locations,in the US. Couple of clients are Fortune 500 companies.

Entrepreneuship Experience
-

I had set up a small company with a friend right after college and did small IT projects for local companies in Bangalore, India.

Leadership Experience

I was the General Secretary of the college level club "The Science Forum". Conducted college level festivals, and competitions.
Several Lead roles in several projects.
Was promoted to a Service Delivery Manager recently in

Extra Curricular :

I took part in various events in school and college like acting,quizzing.
Also have some aptitude in sketching,painting (nothing fancy though)

Post MBA Goal:

Interested in Strategy and Decision Making as well as General Management. Long term goal is to get into Entrepreneurship.

Dream Schools.
INSEAD (both Singapore and France)
Nanyang- Singapore
NUS, Singapore
IE Business School, Spain.
AGSM, Australia.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Profile Evaluation - 700 GMAT, 9 years IT Experience [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 13:03
Expert's post
Hi reatsaint:

Thanks for reaching out.

I am going to assume that you are making a pretty decent salary right now as an ERP consultant working in the United States. You might even be in the six-figure range and this is important consideration to take into account. Generally speaking – Taking two years out of your career at this point is really not advisable. I believe that if you do the math you will see that the ROI is simply not there, especially when you compare your options – full versus part-time.

Another factor is that you really should not be a "career switcher" at this stage in your professional life. This would be an additional reason why I would advocate going to a part-time or accelerated program.

I really think that it will all boil down to how long you expect to be in the United States and on your current project. If this is a long-term assignment, I would consider a part-time program located near your worksite. If you do not expect to be there for the next three years, I would consider global executive MBA programs.

I do not want to sound as if the MBA (in your case) should serve as a "rubber stamp", but you probably already possess many of the general management skills you can gain through a full-time program anyway. For you, I would imagine that the MBA is simply proof to others within your organization (for example) that you have the skills to branch out beyond the technical domain. Again, this would be additional justification for attending a part-time, executive or accelerated MBA program.

With respect to your school choices, I have helped clients get into most of the program you list. However, I am a little uncertain as to why you chose to use programs. I do understand that INSEAD is a consulting powerhouse, but what about the other programs – the geography seems very concentrated.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

reatsaint wrote:
Hi Paul,

Please have a look at my profile, I am targeting mainly1 year courses because of my age, but open to 2 year courses as well. I have a list of dream schools noted below, Can you please help me do a level set on what can be "Likely" and "Possible" schools.

Basic Demographics
33 Male Indian (currently working in USA)

GMAT
Attempt 1: 650
Attempt 2: 650
Attempt 3: 700 (q50\v34), 5 AWA

Education

10th: 84%
12th: 80%
Degree: 70%

Did my schooling from in India and went on for Bachelor of Engineering (B.E) in Computer Science and Engineering from VTU, the 12th best university in India.

Work Experience

Total 9 years in IT Consultant (ERP).

I am working in a global top IT company as a Service Delivery Manager. Previously I have been in an Techno Functional ERP Consultant position (Oracle's J.D.Edwards).
4 years experience in India and 5 years in the US in multiple Client locations,in the US. Couple of clients are Fortune 500 companies.

Entrepreneuship Experience
-

I had set up a small company with a friend right after college and did small IT projects for local companies in Bangalore, India.

Leadership Experience

I was the General Secretary of the college level club "The Science Forum". Conducted college level festivals, and competitions.
Several Lead roles in several projects.
Was promoted to a Service Delivery Manager recently in

Extra Curricular :

I took part in various events in school and college like acting,quizzing.
Also have some aptitude in sketching,painting (nothing fancy though)

Post MBA Goal:

Interested in Strategy and Decision Making as well as General Management. Long term goal is to get into Entrepreneurship.

Dream Schools.
INSEAD (both Singapore and France)
Nanyang- Singapore
NUS, Singapore
IE Business School, Spain.
AGSM, Australia.

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton