Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 05:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

profile evaluation-(720/8yrs)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 646
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
profile evaluation-(720/8yrs) [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 01:56
Hi Linda,

I come from the largest pool of MBA aspirants i.e. Indian/IT/male (age 29) and need your help in evaluating my profile.

1) GMAT score: 720 (q49, v38) - (AWA/IR scores awaited; a little disappointed with this score, can retake if you advise.)
2) Total work ex: 8 yrs in various roles in two renowned IT companies (4 yrs each)
3) Certifications: PMP, CSQA (Now expired) and FLMI level 1
4) Graduation: From one of the top engineering colleges in India. 73% (First class with distinction - due to tougher scoring, criteria for distinction in my college was 70% compared to 75% in other indian colleges)
5) International exposure: 30% of total workex. worked in South Korea and currently working in Singapore.
6) Extra curricular+ community service: Not muh to mention here. Organized a few project parties in my first company. part of cricket team for small duration (before moving to a new location). participated in team-sports events in my second company (won some tournaments). Dint get much opportunity in India to do any community work, however did some volunteer work in Singapore as plenty of opportunities are available here.
7) Areas of Interest : Primary : Management consulting, Secondary : Strategy, General management
8) Won several awards and certificates of achievement during my 8yrs career from my employers and appreciations from clients.
9) Colleges to apply :
a) Duke
b) Darden
c) Haas
d) INSEAD
e) HEC Paris

What I realize here is that my GMAT score and the pool that I come from could be a big disadvantage for me and my little (or close to nil) extra curricular and community service experience add to this.

I would really appreciate your inputs on my profile and on my chances (far, stretch,strong) at the colleges mentioned. Also, I would request you to suggest some additional colleges where you think I could be a good fit, with chances to get a decent scholarship (a huge factor) considering my profile. (I understand application/essays and recommendations are important factors but since I'm just done with my GMAT, would appreciate if you could provide your inputs based on the above mentioned information.

Thanks,
Vips
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4768
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [1] , given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile evaluation-(720/8yrs) [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 13:13
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Vips0000 wrote:
Hi Linda,

I come from the largest pool of MBA aspirants i.e. Indian/IT/male (age 29) and need your help in evaluating my profile.

1) GMAT score: 720 (q49, v38) - (AWA/IR scores awaited; a little disappointed with this score, can retake if you advise.)
2) Total work ex: 8 yrs in various roles in two renowned IT companies (4 yrs each)
3) Certifications: PMP, CSQA (Now expired) and FLMI level 1
4) Graduation: From one of the top engineering colleges in India. 73% (First class with distinction - due to tougher scoring, criteria for distinction in my college was 70% compared to 75% in other indian colleges)
5) International exposure: 30% of total workex. worked in South Korea and currently working in Singapore.
6) Extra curricular+ community service: Not muh to mention here. Organized a few project parties in my first company. part of cricket team for small duration (before moving to a new location). participated in team-sports events in my second company (won some tournaments). Dint get much opportunity in India to do any community work, however did some volunteer work in Singapore as plenty of opportunities are available here.
7) Areas of Interest : Primary : Management consulting, Secondary : Strategy, General management
8) Won several awards and certificates of achievement during my 8yrs career from my employers and appreciations from clients.
9) Colleges to apply :
a) Duke
b) Darden
c) Haas
d) INSEAD
e) HEC Paris

What I realize here is that my GMAT score and the pool that I come from could be a big disadvantage for me and my little (or close to nil) extra curricular and community service experience add to this.

I would really appreciate your inputs on my profile and on my chances (far, stretch,strong) at the colleges mentioned. Also, I would request you to suggest some additional colleges where you think I could be a good fit, with chances to get a decent scholarship (a huge factor) considering my profile. (I understand application/essays and recommendations are important factors but since I'm just done with my GMAT, would appreciate if you could provide your inputs based on the above mentioned information.

Thanks,
Vips


I do not recommend a retake. Haas is a stretch, but you have a competitive profile for the other schools on your list. I'm not optimistic about scholarships at these programs. You may also want to consider Ross and Cornell. If you would consider ISB, it might be a great fit for you in terms of cost and as a feeder school to management consulting.

Best,
Linda
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Done with formalities.. and back..
Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 646
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: profile evaluation-(720/8yrs) [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 01:34
Accepted.com wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
Hi Linda,

I come from the largest pool of MBA aspirants i.e. Indian/IT/male (age 29) and need your help in evaluating my profile.

1) GMAT score: 720 (q49, v38) - (AWA/IR scores awaited; a little disappointed with this score, can retake if you advise.)
2) Total work ex: 8 yrs in various roles in two renowned IT companies (4 yrs each)
3) Certifications: PMP, CSQA (Now expired) and FLMI level 1
4) Graduation: From one of the top engineering colleges in India. 73% (First class with distinction - due to tougher scoring, criteria for distinction in my college was 70% compared to 75% in other indian colleges)
5) International exposure: 30% of total workex. worked in South Korea and currently working in Singapore.
6) Extra curricular+ community service: Not muh to mention here. Organized a few project parties in my first company. part of cricket team for small duration (before moving to a new location). participated in team-sports events in my second company (won some tournaments). Dint get much opportunity in India to do any community work, however did some volunteer work in Singapore as plenty of opportunities are available here.
7) Areas of Interest : Primary : Management consulting, Secondary : Strategy, General management
8) Won several awards and certificates of achievement during my 8yrs career from my employers and appreciations from clients.
9) Colleges to apply :
a) Duke
b) Darden
c) Haas
d) INSEAD
e) HEC Paris

What I realize here is that my GMAT score and the pool that I come from could be a big disadvantage for me and my little (or close to nil) extra curricular and community service experience add to this.

I would really appreciate your inputs on my profile and on my chances (far, stretch,strong) at the colleges mentioned. Also, I would request you to suggest some additional colleges where you think I could be a good fit, with chances to get a decent scholarship (a huge factor) considering my profile. (I understand application/essays and recommendations are important factors but since I'm just done with my GMAT, would appreciate if you could provide your inputs based on the above mentioned information.

Thanks,
Vips


I do not recommend a retake. Haas is a stretch, but you have a competitive profile for the other schools on your list. I'm not optimistic about scholarships at these programs. You may also want to consider Ross and Cornell. If you would consider ISB, it might be a great fit for you in terms of cost and as a feeder school to management consulting.

Best,
Linda

Hi Linda,

Thank you for the feedback.
ISB could've been an option but today is the last day for the application for indian applicants. :-( Considering that I did not have sufficient time to work on app, I excluded this from my list.
Do you reckon any other college similar to ISB in terms of cost and opportunity in MC.

Regards,
Vips
_________________

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
User avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2003
Posts: 4768
Location: Los Angeles CA
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: profile evaluation-(720/8yrs) [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 21:19
Expert's post
Vips0000 wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
Hi Linda,

I come from the largest pool of MBA aspirants i.e. Indian/IT/male (age 29) and need your help in evaluating my profile.

1) GMAT score: 720 (q49, v38) - (AWA/IR scores awaited; a little disappointed with this score, can retake if you advise.)
2) Total work ex: 8 yrs in various roles in two renowned IT companies (4 yrs each)
3) Certifications: PMP, CSQA (Now expired) and FLMI level 1
4) Graduation: From one of the top engineering colleges in India. 73% (First class with distinction - due to tougher scoring, criteria for distinction in my college was 70% compared to 75% in other indian colleges)
5) International exposure: 30% of total workex. worked in South Korea and currently working in Singapore.
6) Extra curricular+ community service: Not muh to mention here. Organized a few project parties in my first company. part of cricket team for small duration (before moving to a new location). participated in team-sports events in my second company (won some tournaments). Dint get much opportunity in India to do any community work, however did some volunteer work in Singapore as plenty of opportunities are available here.
7) Areas of Interest : Primary : Management consulting, Secondary : Strategy, General management
8) Won several awards and certificates of achievement during my 8yrs career from my employers and appreciations from clients.
9) Colleges to apply :
a) Duke
b) Darden
c) Haas
d) INSEAD
e) HEC Paris

What I realize here is that my GMAT score and the pool that I come from could be a big disadvantage for me and my little (or close to nil) extra curricular and community service experience add to this.

I would really appreciate your inputs on my profile and on my chances (far, stretch,strong) at the colleges mentioned. Also, I would request you to suggest some additional colleges where you think I could be a good fit, with chances to get a decent scholarship (a huge factor) considering my profile. (I understand application/essays and recommendations are important factors but since I'm just done with my GMAT, would appreciate if you could provide your inputs based on the above mentioned information.

Thanks,
Vips


I do not recommend a retake. Haas is a stretch, but you have a competitive profile for the other schools on your list. I'm not optimistic about scholarships at these programs. You may also want to consider Ross and Cornell. If you would consider ISB, it might be a great fit for you in terms of cost and as a feeder school to management consulting.

Best,
Linda

Hi Linda,

Thank you for the feedback.
ISB could've been an option but today is the last day for the application for indian applicants. :-( Considering that I did not have sufficient time to work on app, I excluded this from my list.
Do you reckon any other college similar to ISB in terms of cost and opportunity in MC.

Regards,
Vips


You may want to look into IMD or IE, or perhaps Cornell Johnson and UCLA in the U.S.

Best,
Linda
_________________

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Profile gator4 1 27 Aug 2012, 08:43
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile defenestrate 1 11 Feb 2007, 10:54
Profile jmgood01 1 21 Oct 2006, 11:09
Profile jmgood01 1 21 Oct 2006, 11:08
profile lxa 6 03 Oct 2006, 19:04
Display posts from previous: Sort by

profile evaluation-(720/8yrs)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.