Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation (720/8yrs)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 369 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Profile evaluation (720/8yrs) [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 01:59
Hi Jon,

I come from the largest pool of MBA aspirants i.e. Indian/IT/male (age 29) and need your help in evaluating my profile.

1) GMAT score: 720 (q49, v38) - (AWA/IR scores awaited; a little disappointed with this score, can retake if you advise.)
2) Total work ex: 8 yrs in various roles in two renowned IT companies (4 yrs each)
3) Certifications: PMP, CSQA (Now expired) and FLMI level 1
4) Graduation: From one of the top engineering colleges in India. 73% (First class with distinction - due to tougher scoring, criteria for distinction in my college was 70% compared to 75% in other indian colleges)
5) International exposure: 30% of total workex. worked in South Korea and currently working in Singapore.
6) Extra curricular+ community service: Not muh to mention here. Organized a few project parties in my first company. part of cricket team for small duration (before moving to a new location). participated in team-sports events in my second company (won some tournaments). Dint get much opportunity in India to do any community work, however did some volunteer work in Singapore as plenty of opportunities are available here.
7) Areas of Interest : Primary : Management consulting, Secondary : Strategy, General management
8) Won several awards and certificates of achievement during my 8yrs career from my employers and appreciations from clients.
9) Colleges to apply :
a) Duke
b) Darden
c) Haas
d) INSEAD
e) HEC Paris

What I realize here is that my GMAT score and the pool that I come from could be a big disadvantage for me and my little (or close to nil) extra curricular and community service experience add to this.

I would really appreciate your inputs on my profile and on my chances (far, stretch,strong) at the colleges mentioned. Also, I would request you to suggest some additional colleges where you think I could be a good fit, with chances to get a decent scholarship (a huge factor) considering my profile. (I understand application/essays and recommendations are important factors but since I'm just done with my GMAT, would appreciate if you could provide your inputs based on the above mentioned information.

Thanks,
Vips

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [1] , given: 30

Re: Profile evaluation (720/8yrs) [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 04:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey VIPS,

Your GMAT score a disadvantage??? You gotta be kidding me!! You got a 720, dude! So pat yourself on the back, and walk away from the GMAT feeling great about yourself. Your score is good enough to get you into any school in the universe. The rest will depend, well, on the rest.

:)

So forget about the GMAT, and let's see what we can do with the rest. First of all two tips for you specifically:
1. Don't sound like a Techie. For example you write "Certifications: PMP, CSQA (Now expired) and FLMI level 1 " ahhhhhh but MBA programs don't care about this stuff. AT ALL. They want to see your LEADERSHIP, your TEAMWORK, your ACHIEVEMENTS, your PROMOTIONS. so focus more on that (and other Bschool related stuff)
2. Be Unique - Everybody has something unique about them, and you need to find your unique selling points for the Adcom (especially important here given the huge and hugely competitive applicant pool you are coming from). From what I have seen here (although I guess there's more), your most unique selling point is your "pan-asian international experience), which is both excellent and rare, and I would use that as one of your strengths (along with whatever else you have)

Your school list is fine (although I would suggest adding one to three more if you can make it)

Hope this helps!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 561 [1] , given: 30

Re: Profile evaluation (720/8yrs) [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 23:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
You are welcome good sir.
I know that things like PMP can be appreciated, but again it's not so much the certification the school cares about. What is good about things like PMP is that if you have that certification it can often lead you to more leadership, and THAT is very good and can be used as a story. Just having the certification in your drawer is not likely to help you that much (although it might help you get a job later).

It's a question of what to focus on- yeah sure maybe some of these things are not bad, but you likely have stronger stories to tell than the obtention of the certificate.

Good that you have more promotions and that they are out of turn. Every single one should be emphasized in your resume and application (although "bragged about" might be a bit much).

When I write adding 1-3 more colleges, it's not just a matter of randomly choosing colleges only to consider about chances, but it's to choose colleges at which you can reach your goals and which fit you and your profile, while giving you a balanced application strategy, and to maximize your chances overall and help you "beat the odds". Some suggestions: Tepper, Anderson, McCombs, Cambridge, all schools that I feel could fit you and are more or less in the same range as the ones you listed. Also, given your "pan-asian" experience you might consider some of the Asian schools if it fits your needs and goals...

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

Current Student

Re: Profile evaluation (720/8yrs) [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 05:13
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Hey VIPS,

Your GMAT score a disadvantage??? You gotta be kidding me!! You got a 720, dude! So pat yourself on the back, and walk away from the GMAT feeling great about yourself. Your score is good enough to get you into any school in the universe. The rest will depend, well, on the rest.

:)

So forget about the GMAT, and let's see what we can do with the rest. First of all two tips for you specifically:
1. Don't sound like a Techie. For example you write "Certifications: PMP, CSQA (Now expired) and FLMI level 1 " ahhhhhh but MBA programs don't care about this stuff. AT ALL. They want to see your LEADERSHIP, your TEAMWORK, your ACHIEVEMENTS, your PROMOTIONS. so focus more on that (and other Bschool related stuff)
2. Be Unique - Everybody has something unique about them, and you need to find your unique selling points for the Adcom (especially important here given the huge and hugely competitive applicant pool you are coming from). From what I have seen here (although I guess there's more), your most unique selling point is your "pan-asian international experience), which is both excellent and rare, and I would use that as one of your strengths (along with whatever else you have)

Your school list is fine (although I would suggest adding one to three more if you can make it)

Hope this helps!

Hey Jon,

That was a lightening quick response. Thank you so much.

PMP is a reputed and renowned project management certification and I thought this should help in showcasing the certified project management skills. I do have promotions which I forgot to mention. In fact first promotion that I got in my first company (a company with 100,000+ employee with strict guidlines for promotion) was an out of turn, in less than mandatory number of years one. So I think I can brag about that one in my application. I changed company and within 2 year got another promotion in my second company to project lead position.
However, since last year, I'm working in Singapore in a completely technical role (application consultant), and I want to just get out of it and move to a role that I love. Ironically, this technology again makes me unique :-D

You mentioned about 1 to 3 more colleges, would you be able to recommend some? Also out of the 5 colleges I listed, do I stand a good chance if I could submit good application and manage to get some good recommendations? basically to be precise, I'm concerned about categorizing this colleges in terms of my chance.

Many thanks,
Vips..

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Current Student

Re: Profile evaluation (720/8yrs) [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 22:06
JonAdmissionado wrote:
You are welcome good sir.
I know that things like PMP can be appreciated, but again it's not so much the certification the school cares about. what is good about things like PMP is that if you have that certification it can often lead you to more leadership, and THAT is very good and can be used as a story. Just having the certification in your drawer is not likely to help you that much (although it might help you get a job later)

It's a question of what to focus on- yeah sure maybe some of these things are not bad, but you liekly have stronger stories to tell than the obtention of the certificate.

Good that you have more promotions and that they are out of turn. Every single one should be emphasized in your resume and application (although "bragged about" might be a bit much).

When I write adding 1-3 more colleges, it's not just a matter of randomly choosing colleges only to consider about chances, but it's to choose colleges at which you can reach your goals and which fit you and your profile, while giving you a balanced application strategy, and to maximize your chances overall and help you "beat the odds". Some suggestions: Tepper, Anderson, McCombs, Cambridge, all schools that I feel could fit you and are more or less in the same range as the ones you listed. Also, given your "pan-asian" experience you might consider some of the Asian schools if it fits your needs and goals...

Hi Jon,

Thanks once again for the insight. Very helpful indeed.

PS: Congratulations for the ipad :-D

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Expert Post
Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile evaluation (720/8yrs) [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 01:41
Expert's post
Ha. Thanks dude! And you drop us a line if you got anything else...
see ya around the forums

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com