Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 22:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - 720 GMAT/Female

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - 720 GMAT/Female [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 14:32
Hi,
I just started looking into schools and would like to get an idea of where I stand. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm a 26 years old female of Asian descent.

1) Work: I work for a big 4 accounting firm primarily focusing on IT and SOX audits for major fortune 500 companies. I've been here for four years, promoted once, and will be promoted to manager in another year (although I'm thinking of applying to school before this happens). I have worked with international teams and have worked abroad as part of this job (~2 weeks at a time).
2) GMAT: 720/42V/47Q/5AW taken in Dec 2011. My math is at 76% which makes me wonder if I should considering a retake.
3) School: Univ Southern California, 3.72 GPA, Double Major Business Admin & Accounting, Graduated 2009.
4) Leadership: I'm lacking in the community service area. I have done a few things through work but nothing consistent. Will need to get started this year, but that would still only give me one year of volunteering. Leadership wise, I led the recruiting efforts at a local college, organized multiple firm related events with over 20 people in attendance.
5) Certifications: CPA, CISA, thinking of working towards a CISSP but not sure if it make sense if I'm thinking of applying to school?
6) Target Schools: I feel MBA is only worth getting if from a top program. However, I know Stanfrod and HBS are probably out of reach due to my lack of community service and extraordinary extracurricular activities. However, I would like to know if I stand a chance at other top 10 schools. Potentially thinking of INSEAD for international.
7) R1 2014-2015
8) Management consulting or operations role

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.21

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 8

Re: Profile Evaluation - 720 GMAT/Female [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 01:28
Hi,

In the list below may give you some idea to narrow down your choices.

The average GMAT score at each school is used to create the tiers. Within each tier, the schools are ranked by average alumni salary. As a rule of thumb, the ten schools at the top of a tier have a higher salary than than the ten schools at the bottom of the previous tier, often because the professional background and educational quality is better at those schools.

GMAT Tier 1 - GMAT over 690

Stanford University GSB
Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIMA)
University of Pennsylvania: Wharton
Harvard Business School
Columbia Business School
MIT Sloan School of Management
Dartmouth College: Tuck
University of Chicago: Booth
Insead
Yale School of Management
London Business School
University of California at Berkeley: Haas
Northwestern University: Kellogg
Cornell University: Johnson
New York University: Stern
UCLA: Anderson
University of Michigan: Ross
Duke University: Fuqua
Indian School of Business
University of Oxford: Saïd
University of Virginia: Darden
Ceibs
University of North Carolina: Kenan-Flagler

GMAT Tier 2 - GMAT over 670

IE Business School
IMD
University of Cambridge: Judge
Cranfield School of Management
Iese Business School
Georgetown University: McDonough
Carnegie Mellon: Tepper
HEC Paris
Emory University: Goizueta
University of Texas at Austin: McCombs
Rice University: Jones
Vanderbilt University: Owen
University of Rochester: Simon
Boston College: Carroll
University of Notre Dame: Mendoza
University of Washington Business School: Foster
Wisconsin School of Business
Georgia Institute of Technology
Boston University School of Management
University of California at Irvine: Merage
University of California: Davis
Ohio State University: Fisher
Brigham Young University: Marriott
Arizona State University: Carey

GMAT Tier 3 - GMAT 650 or higher

Hong Kong UST Business School
Esade Business School
City University: Cass
Australian School of Business: AGSM
Imperial College Business School
Indiana University: Kelley
Melbourne Business School
University of Maryland: Smith
SDA Bocconi
Pennsylvania State University: Smeal
Wake Forest University: Babcock
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School
Nanyang Business School
University of Western Ontario: Ivey
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
National University of Singapore School of Business
Purdue University: Krannert
Pepperdine University: Graziadio
University of Toronto: Rotman
University of Florida: Hough
McGill University: Desautels
University of Iowa: Tippie
University of British Columbia: Sauder
York University: Schulich
SP Jain Center of Management

GMAT Tier 4 - GMAT under 650

University of Cape Town GSB
University of Southern California: Marshall
Manchester Business School
Babson College: Olin
Lancaster University Management School
Warwick Business School
Texas A & M University: Mays
Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University
Hult International Business School
University College Dublin: Smurfit
University of Strathclyde Business School
SMU: Cox
Thunderbird School of Global Management
University of Edinburgh Business School
University of Georgia: Terry
Durham Business School
Kaist College of Business
College of William and Mary: Mason
Birmingham Business School
Ipade
Leeds University Business School
University of South Carolina: Moore
Eada
EM Lyon Business School
Incae Business School
Bradford School of Management/TiasNimbas Business School
Politecnico di Milano School of Management
IAE Business School

Kudos pls if it really helps :)
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 341 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - 720 GMAT/Female [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2013, 21:56
Expert's post
mbawho wrote:
Hi,
I just started looking into schools and would like to get an idea of where I stand. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm a 26 years old female of Asian descent.

1) Work: I work for a big 4 accounting firm primarily focusing on IT and SOX audits for major fortune 500 companies. I've been here for four years, promoted once, and will be promoted to manager in another year (although I'm thinking of applying to school before this happens). I have worked with international teams and have worked abroad as part of this job (~2 weeks at a time).
2) GMAT: 720/42V/47Q/5AW taken in Dec 2011. My math is at 76% which makes me wonder if I should considering a retake.
3) School: Univ Southern California, 3.72 GPA, Double Major Business Admin & Accounting, Graduated 2009.
4) Leadership: I'm lacking in the community service area. I have done a few things through work but nothing consistent. Will need to get started this year, but that would still only give me one year of volunteering. Leadership wise, I led the recruiting efforts at a local college, organized multiple firm related events with over 20 people in attendance.
5) Certifications: CPA, CISA, thinking of working towards a CISSP but not sure if it make sense if I'm thinking of applying to school?
6) Target Schools: I feel MBA is only worth getting if from a top program. However, I know Stanfrod and HBS are probably out of reach due to my lack of community service and extraordinary extracurricular activities. However, I would like to know if I stand a chance at other top 10 schools. Potentially thinking of INSEAD for international.
7) R1 2014-2015
8) Management consulting or operations role

Thanks!

You're welcome.
Sorry for the late reply. It's been busy.

You would have a shot at INSEAD. I agree that Stanford and HBS would be stretches for you. Consider Duke, Yale, Ross, Darden, CMU Tepper, Tuck, and Cornell Johnson. If you want to add a stretch program consider MIT Sloan and Kellogg.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - 720 GMAT/Female [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 15:19
Quote:
You're welcome.

You would have a shot at INSEAD. I agree that Stanford and HBS would be stretches for you. Consider Duke, Yale, Ross, Darden, CMU Tepper, Tuck, and Cornell Johnson. If you want to add a stretch program consider MIT Sloan and Kellogg.

Best,
Linda

Thank you for getting back to me, Linda!

From your experience, if I were to wait one more year to apply, and try to do some meaningful volunteer in the interim (i.e. mentoring high school students), would it have a significant impact on my profile? I know schools can recognize last minute "cramming" so I'm not sure if it's worth the effort or if I should just focus on figuring out my essay and "story".

TIA again :)
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 341 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - 720 GMAT/Female [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 16:03
Expert's post
mbawho wrote:
Quote:
You're welcome.

Best,
Linda

Thank you for getting back to me, Linda!

From your experience, if I were to wait one more year to apply, and try to do some meaningful volunteer in the interim (i.e. mentoring high school students), would it have a significant impact on my profile? I know schools can recognize last minute "cramming" so I'm not sure if it's worth the effort or if I should just focus on figuring out my essay and "story".

TIA again :)

I don't think that additional volunteer work would make a meaningful difference at HBS and Stanford. Additional community service, especially if you take on real responsibility, have impact, and demonstrate leadership, could make a big difference at the programs I recommended. I can't say if it would make the difference between acceptance and rejection.

There is nothing (but time) stopping you from applying now and starting a volunteer commitment. If accepted, you start your MBA one year earlier. If rejected, you will already be several months into this commitment and have a stronger app next time around.

Best,
Linda

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog