Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 14:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth, Wharton, Tuck, HBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 20:47
I know it's early for me to post this b/c I'm interested in matriculating in 2012, but I just want to gauge my chances.

Age at Matriculation: 28

UNDERGRADUATE
Top 50, Public
Top 25 Undergrad Bschool
Major: Finance
3.3 overall GPA (slacked off first few years, worked hard to raise it the last few years)
3.7 finance GPA
GMAT: 730 (50 Q, 40 V)
Ethnicity: Asian of some sort
Nationality: American, Adopted into Caucasian-American family

WORK EXPERIENCE
1.5 years thus far
Research Associate at a start-up that offers a research and analytics platform for the private equity industry
    Have structured detailed research processes that have significantly reduced the time required to find info and populate it in our platform
    Co-authored quarterly reports and newsletters read by over 100,000 subscribers, generating 25 leads that became clients
    Assisted in creating a public comparables tool with over 12,000 publicly traded companies
    Created the framework for a financial modeling plug-in to be added in our platform eventually

Next 2.5 years
Hopefully M&A at a boutique investment bank or a corporate finance rotation in an extremely reputable F500 tech company

EXTRACURRICULARS
Past
Served as Executive Director of a nationwide (my ethnic group)-American student conference with 300 guests. Conference’s aim is to raise awareness of community-specific issues, encourage students to network, and inspire students to contribute to the improvement of said community.
    Directed an executive board of 10 members and a team of over 40 volunteers
    Generated $32,000 in corporate sponsorship and donations
    Organized 34 seminars and workshops, 3 concerts, and 4 opening ceremonies with more than 30 guest speakers and entertainers
    Created and implemented conference’s 4-day logistical outline

Coordinated research for international human rights organization

Taught English to defectors who fled a politically unstable nation

Present & Future
Currently mentoring adoptee youths of my ethnic group who were raised by Caucasian-American families. Helping them with identity crisis issues.

Avid strength & conditioning and performance athletics junkie. Plan to either volunteer as S&C coach for a youth wrestling team or a YMCA/Boys & Girls Club, or compete in the CrossFit Games.

Will join the board of the parent organization that oversees the conference mentioned above and act as an advisor to future schools hosting the conference.

OTHER PARTICULARS
Lived 2 years in the country from which I was adopted.

Met birth family and maintained relationship with them.

Learned to speak the language of said motherland with conversational fluency. Hope to someday speak the language on a more scholarly level.

WHY MBA?
Want a career in mid-market private equity. Fascinated by the impact that changes in operational and financial inputs have on the performance of a company. True passion for reshaping a company and making it a more profitable, CF-positive organization.

REACH SCHOOLS
Wharton
Booth
Tuck

SWEET SPOT
Stern
Fuqua
Darden
Ross

SAFETY
Kelley
Marshall
Tepper
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 00:06
You're probably targeting the right range of schools but since you're not planning on applying for a long time, what you should be doing is focusing less on b-school anyhow and more on making the most of your professional experience, and then deciding which schools you are a fit for once you're ready to apply.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2009, 00:06