Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:46

Starting Soon!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: IESE '13
WE 1: Engineer
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 18:21
Here's my profile, looking to apply for 2011 for schools listed below. Looking to do an MBA in finance, and eventually end up in Europe (Preferably Italy or Spain).

Schools:

HEC Paris
IESE (#1 choice)
ESADE
IE
Bocconi
NYU
CUNY-Baruch

Male - 26 upon matriculation - Italian American
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute - Major in Civil Engineering: 3.1 GPA, Dean's List first 3 semesters
GMAT - Practice tests have me at about 700
Fluent in English & Italian
Proficiency in German
Basic Spanish (learned informally)

Work exp - 2.5 years (ongoing) as a structural engineer/project manager at a 12 person consulting engineering/architecture firm outside NYC. Because of the size of the firm, I have been involved in various projects, from the entire structural design of high-end residential projects, to presenting analysis to the Chief Plan Examiner of the NYC Buildings Department

Also did a brief internship with Keyspan Energy in the Gas Construction department

EC/Extra notes:
- Part-time DJ for hire, doing small events including company holiday parties, engagement/weddings, etc.
- Part-time tutor of calculus, physics and Italian
- Volunteer soccer (football) referee and assistant coach for local youth soccer leagues/teams
- Player/captain of intramural soccer team during 4 years of college
- Player/captain of recreational soccer teams for the last 3 years (ongoing)

Other:
- Research assistant for an engineering professor performing post-doctorate study
- Studied abroad in Rome (John Cabot University) spring of Junior year
- Selected as one of 6 structural engineering students in Bedford Fellowship Traveling Studio - a week long, school sponsored trip to London & Paris to research various modern architecture/engineering projects as well as major international firms, culminating in a final presentation to professors and industry professionals

Some notes: My GPA was severely affected fall of Junior year (2.25) due to some personal family issues. Also, given the rigorous curriculum, I took 6 classes spring of my Senior year to graduate on time following my semester abroad, including taking the final senior capstone class simultaneously with one of its pre-requisites, as well as an additional graduate-level engineering course (7 total). Finally, to supplement my lower GPA, I will be taking an introductory finance course over the summer at a local college.

Questions: 1. What are my chances at the schools I have listed above?
2. Are there any schools that you would recommend applying to, given my desire for an MBA in Finance at a European school (Although, I am trying to stay away from UK schools)
3. Generally speaking, what do the international schools look for in a prospective MBA student? Does my unorthodox background put me at a disadvantage at all?
4. Aspects of my profile to improve upon?

Thanks in advance!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 14:10
To be honest, you can probably shoot even higher given your profile.

What European schools really value in candidates is international experience - and you seem to have a lot of it. You're bi-cultural (I assume by "Italian American" you mean you're first generation Italian), you went to university abroad, you speak multiple languages, and your work experience is relatively unique (construction/architecture).

If you want to work in finance in Europe, not sure why you want to avoid the UK schools because London is where the vast majority of post-MBA finance jobs will be (London is the financial hub for Europe after all) - it's sort of like saying that you want to avoid the NY-area schools but want to work in finance in the US.

In any case, if you really have a real aversion to English pubs, their football clubs, rainy weather, etc. then the schools outside of Europe you may want to focus on INSEAD in addition to the schools you mentioned.

You have a well-rounded background, so there isn't anything you should change per se -- just do the best you can on the GMAT, and since you're relatively young for Euro schools you have time - you can apply this upcoming year and worst case is you don't get into the ones you want - and reapply the following year without being too old.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 12 Feb 2010, 14:10