Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Jul 2014, 23:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 22:06
Hello Linda and Paul,

This is a great forum, thank you for your insight!

I have been considering business school for a few years, but have yet to pull the trigger on an application. Can you please help evaluate my profile?

Profile:
27, Male (28 by application time)
White American
Top five US University - Mechanical Engineering & Environmental Sciences / Policy Dual degree
GPA: 2.45
GMAT: 760 AWA: 6

UGrad Notables: Treasurer and President of my fraternity, Treasurer and President of the Outdoors Club, Lead environmental designer on a student designed smart home built on campus, Resident Advisor, independent study on solar air conditioning design

Career: Civil Engineering - working for an innovative firm specializing in green development around the world. Small company, have risen to open an office in Boston, before moving back to NYC during recession. Company knows me as ambitious and innovative.

Extra Curriculars: Presently running our firm's non-profit and managing 3 interns in remote offices, taught a course on sustainable design at a local college, am Chief Technical officer of a non-profit focused on an east africa health issue, mentor for Engineers without borders on an east africa project - was in east africa once for 2 months, headed again for 3 weeks this summer to oversee building of wells and installation of solar panels. In past have won green design competition related to my work and designed and built a rainwater system for a student competition related to the class I taught.

Goals: Start a socially responsible business. Want to learn skills, gain analysis tools, make connections, get time to work on this, and access to resources from top tier institution.

My current target list includes: Stanford, HBS, LBS, Said, INSEAD and others tbd.

Am I shooting too high? My main concerns are my grades and my narrative. Are my grades a deal breaker? Would taking a course this summer help? What sort of course? Is my narrative too scattered?

Many thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Michael
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 316 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 14:06
Expert's post
Appalachan wrote:
Hello Linda and Paul,

I have been considering business school for a few years, but have yet to pull the trigger on an application. Can you please help evaluate my profile?

Profile:
White American
Top five US University - Mechanical Engineering & Environmental Sciences / Policy Dual degree

UGrad Notables: Treasurer and President of my fraternity, Treasurer and President of the Outdoors Club, Lead environmental designer on a student designed smart home built on campus, Resident Advisor, independent study on solar air conditioning design

Career: Civil Engineering - working for an innovative firm specializing in green development around the world. Small company, have risen to open an office in Boston, before moving back to NYC during recession. Company knows me as ambitious and innovative.

Extra Curriculars: Presently running our firm's non-profit and managing 3 interns in remote offices, taught a course on sustainable design at a local college, am Chief Technical officer of a non-profit focused on an east africa health issue, mentor for Engineers without borders on an east africa project - was in east africa once for 2 months, headed again for 3 weeks this summer to oversee building of wells and installation of solar panels. In past have won green design competition related to my work and designed and built a rainwater system for a student competition related to the class I taught.

Goals: Start a socially responsible business. Want to learn skills, gain analysis tools, make connections, get time to work on this, and access to resources from top tier institution.

My current target list includes: Stanford, HBS, LBS, Said, INSEAD and others tbd.

Am I shooting too high? My main concerns are my grades and my narrative. Are my grades a deal breaker? Would taking a course this summer help? What sort of course? Is my narrative too scattered?

Michael

Michael,
Were there any extenuating circumstances that contributed to the low GPA?
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 14:37
Hi Linda,

Nothing extraordinary; there is no one to blame but myself. I overloaded with a challenging double major and many time intensive extra-curriculars. Frankly, excited by all the many things to do and challenge myself with, I didn't prioritize grades the way I could have. Not to say I didn't relish my classes; I pursued the most challenging and varied I could and even completed a two semester independent thesis that, but for my grades, could have qualified me for graduation with distinction. Given the amount of work it would have taken to raise them, this was a foolish at best, but what's done is done. I've learned from this and am confident I would earn high marks in any class moving forward.

Thanks,

Michael
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 11:22
Expert's post
Accepted.com wrote:
Appalachan wrote:
Hello Linda and Paul,

Profile:
White American

Michael

Michael,
Were there any extenuating circumstances that contributed to the low GPA?
Linda

Michael,

You're very welcome.

Although I hate to be so categorical, I think your low grades are a very formidable obstacle at Stanfordand Harvardand INSEAD, and I would not recommend your applying to these programs. Your chances are better at the other programs. In addition, to enhance the likelihood of acceptance to any top program, I encourage you to take at least two business-related, graded courses and get A's in them. Point to them as evidence of your ability today to excel in the classroom. Also, provide an explanation, much like the one you provided to me. You take responsibility, but also make it clear that your grades did not stem from lack of ability or laziness. For more suggestions on dealing with low grades, please click on the link.

Regarding the narrative and story, Accepted is happy to help you with that, but my impression is that you have good material to work with.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 06:17
Thank you for your feedback Linda. I've enrolled in a course at NYU and will adjust my application strategy accordingly should I decide to pursue an MBA.

Thanks again for this helpful forum!

Michael
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 13:21
Expert's post
Appalachan wrote:
Thank you for your feedback Linda. I've enrolled in a course at NYU and will adjust my application strategy accordingly should I decide to pursue an MBA.

Thanks again for this helpful forum!

Michael

Michael,

You're most welcome. Good luck with your application.

Linda Abraham

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553