), ); ?> Profile Evaluation : Ask Accepted.com
Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 20:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Booth, Kellogg, Wharton, CBS, NYU, Tepper, YSOM
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 05:05
Hi Linda:

I feel that I have a unusual story to tell and would appreciate your thoughts. I thought it was curious enough that I threw up a hailmary last year to five top 10 bschools with a 660 GMAT, and managed to find a couple of waitlists though no acceptance. I focused on the GMAT heavily this summer and am planning to re-apply. Let me know if you think my experience is different enough to catch some eyeballs.

Male / USA / 25

Education:
BA from a Top 20 US University. 3.7 GPA, cum laude.

GMAT: 710/6.0 – Improved from last year's 660/6.

Experience:

(1) Developed a celebrity website at age 15 that caught the attention of star's management. 1999 was still the internet's infancy, so I parlayed my web knowledge into a consulting gig with two major movie houses. Part time work for two years until I left for college at 17.

(2) Began working full-time my Sophomore year of college as a director of interactive marketing for a boutique fashion/entertainment youth marketing group in NYC. Ran conference calls and meetings in between classes, flew to LA on weekends, etc. Oversaw online marketing for artists on three different record labels. Lasted full-time 18 months.

(3) Upon graduation, my online poker hobby had turned into a skill, and I delayed the workforce for poker. Played full-time for one year earning six figures.

(4) Took a job as director of marketing at a small poker related business. In my two year tenure, I helped increase revenues by over 500% to a high 7 figure number, successfully pitched a branded TV show to NBC, and secured a multi-million marketing deal with a billion dollar online gaming entity. *In addition, continued playing online poker to supplement my income, earning six figures annually in high stakes poker games.*

(5) Left job voluntarily to pursue Talmudic studies in Jerusalem. **this may look like a two year gap to schools, even though I continued with part-time consulting which is reflected on my resume.

Extra-Curriculars:
(1) Founded a record label my first year out of college. Lost money ultimately, but gained lots of experience working through all elements of music industry.

(2) Was hand picked as a research assistant by the Dean of my University and served in that role for a summer to aid in his planned book.

(3) Served as a student sponsor for two years in NYC, mentoring and partially financing the tuition of an under-priveledged NYC high schooler.

(4) Maintained an active poker blog with thousands of weekly readers.

Post-MBA Goals:
Short Term: Very interested in social entrepreneurship, but that doesn't reflect my experience background. Excited about the continually increasing opportunities of the web on charities - Donorschoose/Kiva for example - and would love to use my background to impact that sector.
Long Term: Philanthropy - Ford/Gates, etc.

Applications tend to emphasize my focus on business ethics, and the Jewish/Talmudic training that has given me a foundation in those tenets.

Schools I am targeting: Harvard/Kellogg/NYU/Yale/Duke/Tepper/UCLA/Georgetown

Would appreciate any thoughts/evaluation you might have. Assume you might also suggest your services to make my story more cohesive :) I'll certainly consider it.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 14:46
Expert's post
ifyoubuildit wrote:
Hi Linda:

I feel that I have a unusual story to tell and would appreciate your thoughts. I thought it was curious enough that I threw up a hailmary last year to five top 10 bschools with a 660 GMAT, and managed to find a couple of waitlists though no acceptance. I focused on the GMAT heavily this summer and am planning to re-apply. Let me know if you think my experience is different enough to catch some eyeballs.

Male / USA / 25

Education:
BA from a Top 20 US University. 3.7 GPA, cum laude.

GMAT: 710/6.0 – Improved from last year's 660/6.

Experience:

(1) Developed a celebrity website at age 15 that caught the attention of star's management. 1999 was still the internet's infancy, so I parlayed my web knowledge into a consulting gig with two major movie houses. Part time work for two years until I left for college at 17.

(2) Began working full-time my Sophomore year of college as a director of interactive marketing for a boutique fashion/entertainment youth marketing group in NYC. Ran conference calls and meetings in between classes, flew to LA on weekends, etc. Oversaw online marketing for artists on three different record labels. Lasted full-time 18 months.

(3) Upon graduation, my online poker hobby had turned into a skill, and I delayed the workforce for poker. Played full-time for one year earning six figures.

(4) Took a job as director of marketing at a small poker related business. In my two year tenure, I helped increase revenues by over 500% to a high 7 figure number, successfully pitched a branded TV show to NBC, and secured a multi-million marketing deal with a billion dollar online gaming entity. *In addition, continued playing online poker to supplement my income, earning six figures annually in high stakes poker games.*

(5) Left job voluntarily to pursue Talmudic studies in Jerusalem. **this may look like a two year gap to schools, even though I continued with part-time consulting which is reflected on my resume.

Extra-Curriculars:
(1) Founded a record label my first year out of college. Lost money ultimately, but gained lots of experience working through all elements of music industry.

(2) Was hand picked as a research assistant by the Dean of my University and served in that role for a summer to aid in his planned book.

(3) Served as a student sponsor for two years in NYC, mentoring and partially financing the tuition of an under-priveledged NYC high schooler.

(4) Maintained an active poker blog with thousands of weekly readers.

Post-MBA Goals:
Short Term: Very interested in social entrepreneurship, but that doesn't reflect my experience background. Excited about the continually increasing opportunities of the web on charities - Donorschoose/Kiva for example - and would love to use my background to impact that sector.
Long Term: Philanthropy - Ford/Gates, etc.

Applications tend to emphasize my focus on business ethics, and the Jewish/Talmudic training that has given me a foundation in those tenets.

Schools I am targeting: Harvard/Kellogg/NYU/Yale/Duke/Tepper/UCLA/Georgetown

Would appreciate any thoughts/evaluation you might have. Assume you might also suggest your services to make my story more cohesive :) I'll certainly consider it.

You definitely have an interesting story and with your higher GMAT you have significantly improved your chances at your target programs. To further improve your chances, start doing something related to your long-term social enterprise goals.

What are you currently doing? Are you still in Jerusalem, studying and working part-time?

Regarding our services, we have a lot of different ways to help MBA applicants: MBA admissions consulting, MBA essay editing, and application packages, to name the most popular. We also have a very experienced editor who is familiar with the yeshivos of Jerusalem and the requirements of top business schools.

If you would like more details, please PM me.

Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Booth, Kellogg, Wharton, CBS, NYU, Tepper, YSOM
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 20:47
Hi Linda:

Quick follow up. I am starting to look at the re-application FAQs and while I understand some schools have slightly abridged applications, what's the policy on re-submitting essays from last year? I plan to use the optional essays to discuss recent ventures, but really felt like I put it all on the line the first time around and that it was only my low GMAT scores holding me back. Will schools frown on re-submitting the same essay? I really feel like those essays were my best product.

Let me know the etiquette.

Thanks
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 343 [0], given: 64

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 20:03
Expert's post
ifyoubuildit wrote:
Hi Linda:

Quick follow up. I am starting to look at the re-application FAQs and while I understand some schools have slightly abridged applications, what's the policy on re-submitting essays from last year? I plan to use the optional essays to discuss recent ventures, but really felt like I put it all on the line the first time around and that it was only my low GMAT scores holding me back. Will schools frown on re-submitting the same essay? I really feel like those essays were my best product.

Let me know the etiquette.

Thanks

I strongly discourage re-using verbatim last year's essays at the same schools. I'm not saying you couldn't be an exception, but it is very rare that something can't be improved. Furthermore, have you stagnated since last year? You certainly don't want to appear to have done so. Submitting the same thing gives the impression that you haven't done anything significant since you last applied and that you haven't grown. Adcoms may infer laziness if you submit the same 'ol, same 'ol. Again, I discourage it.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog