Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Affiliations: Net Impact
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 22:19
I'd like some advice on which schools to app to please.

Here is my profile -

Indian, 27 Yrs, Male

GMAT
710 (Q48, V39)

Experience
- 4 years developing software developemt for the world's leading automotive OEM supplier
- 6 months of international exposure. Good feedback from the client
- Exposure to Client handling
- Youngest member in the team, but sharing equal responsilities with peers of Exp level 6-8 Yrs
- Changed the customer perception of the team quality by proactive suggestions and thereby helping in acquiring the project
- Active contributor to various technology forums in automotive domain
- At ease with different cultures, working with a multi site team

Education
- BE - VTU Karnataka - 72.9% (aggregate) - Electronics
- HSC - 88.00%
- SSC - 82.00% - Topped the school

Extra Curricular
- Involved with an NGO for Kids education
- Many techinal papers presented at college
- Student representative at college hostel
- School Captain
- Volunteer at National Institute for Entrepreneurship
- Best outgoing student of the school
- Organise team outings and treks

Goals of MBA
- Career switch from IT to Strategy
- Strategy development for Automotive Industry for the Emerging markets like India and China
- Consultant for automotive industry

I'm most concerned about:
- Avgerage GPA at Undergradaute
- Typical IT Profile

Target Schools:
- Fuqua
- Tuck
- Booth
- RSM, Rotterdam
- IESE Spain
- HEC Paris

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 16:03
I think you're targeting a good range of schools.

I think you know that Fuqua, Tuck and Booth are going to be stretches. If you get in, consider yourself blessed.

The rest like Rotterdam, IESE and HEC are within reach - you should have a reasonable shot of getting into at least one if not all of them, assuming you don't screw up the written applications and interviews.

In your case, it just comes down to doing the best you can on the applications - that's all you can control at this point. You can't really worry about what you can't control (your background), and it's not about whether you're an IT guy or not; it's really about doing your best to showcase your strengths, and hoping that you can do it in an effective enough way that the reader will see you as an individual.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 19:08
I think you know that Fuqua, Tuck and Booth are going to be stretches. If you get in, consider yourself blessed.
===========================

somehow i dont like this sentence....

am not an admissions consultant but i dont think anyone should consider themselves as being blessed if they get into a good school. i think its a lot of hard work and theres no free lunch. if a guy gets in am sure he would have made some sense to the adcom.

i read most of your responses alex and this is a feeling i get...

while its important to be realistic, i think its also important not to dent that person's confidence. a little bit of caution in ur tone would do a lot of good to the folks who reach out to you for advice.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 19:25
Dude, I'm not sure where you got the negativity from -- perhaps the word "blessed" has more negative connotations in India. If so, then I apologize for my ignorance.

All I'm saying is that you need to be LUCKY. There's an element of luck involved in all things like this, and as such you should feel lucky (or blessed -- i.e. appreciative that you've gotten in) because there's TONS of people who don't get in who are probably just as qualified.

As an example, most people who get into Stanford will tell you that they were lucky as well - there's simply a LOT of people who are just as capable who don't get in.

I'm not on here to be a cheerleader. There are plenty of other admissions consultants out there that will sugar coat stuff - or even BS you. I choose not to. My approach is not better or worse - it's just what I do. In a way, it's why some people reach out to me over others because I do throw caution to the wind. Some people don't like that, which is fine by me. I'm not going to be all things to all people (lesson one in business: if you try to please everyone, you will attract no one).

If there's ever a recurring theme or undercurrent in many of my posts, it's about demystifying the MBA in the first place - it's really not that devastating if you don't get in. It's a luxury, a nice to have - and NOT a necessity. Too many people have convinced themselves that they NEED it, rather than going into the process with a healthier (and therefore more confident) approach, which is treating it merely as a "nice to have".

If you get in, it's sure a lot of fun and a great opportunity. But if you don't get in, it's not that big a deal.

So I do stand by my statement. You SHOULD feel lucky to get into a good school.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2010, 01:08
Hello,

I have total 8 years of exp. in TOP5 semiconductor companies(ST and freescae).
I have spent almost 4 years of europe.
Currently i'm working as technical lead .
In these 8 years , I have been awarded twice best engineer award in my group.
Now at this point of career I'm thinking of doing MBA from TOP10 global colleges.
mainly: Berkeley Hass,LBS, INSEAD,HARVARD, stanford, kellogg, wharton,cloumbia etc...
But i have one doubt ,my degree score is not so good.59.99%
1marks short of First class.
Do you think ,it will be worth applying with GMAT score of above 700.
Do i stand any chance for addmission in top 10 global b-schools.
please help me on this.

thanks..
Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2010, 01:08