Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation & advice please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation & advice please [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 05:32
Male 24 years old.
Naturalized Asian American
Bachelor in Economics from Villanova University.
Along with East Asian Studies Concentration as well as Chinese Language, Communication and Writing & Rhetoric Minors
GPA 2.7 ( I know, don't laugh )
GMAT Score - TBD (I took it cold and got 560 but hoping/aiming for 700 or above after intense summer preparation)

Work Experience
--------------
I have been working since I was 14 years old but with internship experience with 3 different companies/institutions.
1. Market Internship with a local magazine agency
2. Business Operations Internship with a large international pharmaceuticals company
3. Public Relations Internship with a top 3 school district in the tri-state area.
4. Worked with the NJ State Police and FBI when I was a sophomore.
5. Worked for the PA Dept of Agriculture when I was a sophomore.
6. Currently doing charity/non-profit work along with random stuff to keep my boat float and trying to use it to boost my admissions chances.

Extracurriculars
-------------
1. Sigma Nu fraternity philanthropy officer/LEAD program
2. Big Brothers & Big Sisters
3. Habitat for Humanity
4. Was awarded the Pennsylvania participation award when I was in HS by congresswoman Lita Indzel Cohen for participation and contribution to charitable causes.
5. Participated in the OΔΕ International Economics Honor Society Conference.

Life story (Maybe the admissions staff can understand tough life can affect GPA?)
-------------
1. Was from a single parent family in poverty (I was on financial aid throughout high school and college)
2. I worked to get my family extra income since I was legal to work at 14. Worked 2-3 jobs every summer and worked full time even when I was enrolled full time at school.
3. Did not speak English when I immigrated when I was 13 and struggled with English throughout high school. (Did ok on SATs with 1310/1600 with 660 math and 650 verbal)

Why I want an MBA
----------------
I am not interested in career changing MBA programs such as Executive MBAs, I am more interested in life changing MBA programs such as the top tier ones like NYU, HBS, if they can give me an opportunity.
I really appreciate Villanova for giving me the opportunity for undergrad as their financial aid program as well as the commuter scholarship program helped me a lot to keep the cost down to basically the bare minimum.

I wouldnt mind swinging for broke for Early Decision or Early Action either

------------
I am interested in what I need to aim for on the GMAT to I guess persuade the admissions staff that my GPA does not properly represent me as an intelligent individual and as a scholar.

Also interested on if my profile can compete with the "blue chip" students who were well fed and well garnished all their lives. I suspect if they apply, they'd most likely bring high GPA, high GMAT scores along with Goldman Sachs/Morgan Stanley internships/entry level jobs. I can understand why they'd choose the ideal "blue chip" candidate over me, but that doesnt stop me from trying to persuade them. If you were an admissions officer would you root for an upset?

Inputs on how I can spin my admissions essay to show my strengths and explain my GPA culprit would be awesome as well... Well, any kind of input or advice would be great

Thank you in advance
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

Re: Profile evaluation & advice please [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 14:35
Expert's post
Hi ethen,

I love an underdog, too, but I have to tell you that your GPA may be a real deal breaker at top-ten schools. To put it in perspective, a client of ours got into Yale SOM (off of the waitlist) last year with that low of a GPA at probably the best public university in the country, and he says that Yale's dean of admissions told him that he had THE lowest GPA in the whole entering class. So, it's possible, but know that you are literally talking about no more than a few students in a class full of hundreds. I would estimate that, for a school like HBS with an acceptance rate of around 12%, the acceptance rate for applicants with sub-3.0 undergrad GPAs is more like 1% - 3%.

I don't tell you that to discourage you, but rather to help you go into this process with your eyes wide open! If you're going to ask the admissions office at any top program to look past an obvious weakness to take a chance on you, when it could instead go with any one of thousands of other applicants. Ask yourself: What about me (even if I score a 760+ on the GMAT) will make them want to take a chance on ME?

Of course, that's partly what we do for our admissions consulting clients at Veritas Prep. But, even with some professional help, I have to tell you that I think your chances of success at HBS or even NYU will be fairly low. So, spread your bets and consider at least a few more schools, including some lower-ranked ones.

Good luck!
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews