Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation/Advice: The Bleeding Heart

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.44
WE: Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 7

Profile Evaluation/Advice: The Bleeding Heart [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 00:55
I started college at 14, and graduated at 18. The first two years were spent at a community college where I got my Associate in Business and had a 3.33 GPA. Somehow that qualified as Honors. I then transferred to an offshoot and unknown campus of a good university where I led two business clubs, was a business student ambassador, and increased my GPA to 3.64.

I spent a while after graduation doing full time volunteering, then I got a really low paying job doing really cool work for a non-profit. I basically redesigned an entire program and created a second. After a year of that I took the GMAT and got a 740 (77%ile Q, 98%ile V). I did some consulting work, creating a database for an investment firm for a few months, then I flew off to Africa to do business development with the Peace Corps. I will have 49 months of full-time work experience by the time I am done here, if the time I spent volunteering full-time counts. What?! It was a very professional office setting.

With all of my do-goodery, cash is rather tight (read none at all) so I will only be applying to INSEAD and Harvard my first round. Does this sound like a good idea for me?

Also: should I draw attention to my age during college? If so, how should I frame it?

And how does one deal with a question about a failure!??!!?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation/Advice: The Bleeding Heart [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2012, 11:20
Expert's post
Overall, you have an impressive profile.

GPA- you increased it from 3.33 to 3.64 that shows perseverance on your part.

GMAT- you have a strong GMAT score - 740.

Community work experience - One year is pretty good.

Work Ex. You have three years of full time work experience (including community work) which is good.

Here are answers to your questions:

Q.1 Also: should I draw attention to my age during college? If so, how should I frame it?

Ans. Graduating at 18 is your accomplishment and you should definitely draw on it.

Q.2 And how does one deal with a question about a failure!??!!?

Ans. I had answered to this question in one of my posts this month. I am copy pasting that here.

We are all humans and there are times when we all tend to make mistakes , times when we fall short of our expectations . Some of us bounce back with renewed energy and triumph, while others yield to their failure and never make an effort to try again.
It is all about our perception of failure. People who say they have never failed in life might have not set any standards or goals for themselves and were contended with what ever life sent their way.

You are saying "I work in a really big company where I am a small cog in the big wheel. They don't let me play with anything dangerous enough to really fail at something. Any advice on where to look? "

I would ask you "Didn't you aspire or make an effort to be a big cog in the big wheel instead of a small cog"? If you did, that was a failure on your part. Then how did you better your self to deserve that status? What did you learn from that experience? How did you grow from that experience? Answers to these questions may help you find your failure story.

Also, in addition to Harvard and INSEAD, I would suggest you to apply in safety school as well.

If you find my post helpful, please let me know by giving a kudos .

Thanks.

MyEssayReview - A personalized and dedicated essay-review service
Email:poonam@myessayreview.com

Image Image Image

Re: Profile Evaluation/Advice: The Bleeding Heart   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2012, 11:20