Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 10:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PROFILE EVALUATION.. ADVISE NEEDED

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
PROFILE EVALUATION.. ADVISE NEEDED [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 07:37
Hello everyone
I would like to present my profile and my target MBA programs and get some advise if it is advisable to apply.
Thanks in advance

Nationality: Mexican
GPA: 8.7/10
International Business Administration
Work experience: 2 years.
GMAT: 650
TOEFL IBT: 106

Porgrams of interest- FULL TIME MBA
-THE GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY
-TCU (TEXAS CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY)
- ROCHESTER UNIVERSITY
- RICE UNIVERSITY
-NOTRE DAME

I am interested in beginning my studies on the fall of 2014.
By that time I would have more working experience more than 3 years in total.

I would like to share some academic and professional information that may be relevant .

I lived during 1 year in England in order to improve my English. I attended to an English course my whole time there.
-FCE
-CAE I obtained both of the mentioned certificates in the English language

I know it is nothing impressive, but I would like to know if the universitites take into consideration if you have some academic international experience and received a certificate to prove that you were doing something productive during your time abroad.

I spent a summer in Alaska working in a cannery. I just wanted to make money , but it was an interesting experience.. It was an adventure.

University.
I spent 7 months in Germany as an exchange student in the university.
I combined my regular university courses in Germany with a german course there, I attended the Goethe institute and received the B-1 certificate in german.

-I made my professional practice in the custom administration in mexico for 6 months.
- Social service / internship : Economic development ministry/ state of Jalisco.. in the international promotion department during 8 months.

I graduated from the university in 2010 (December)
I wanted to improve my german a bit more and get another certificate so I spent 3 more months in germany taking german classes everyday and got a B-2 german certificate.

After that I got a job in an American company in Mexico (PANDUIT) It was a new team that was created to give service to the sales workforce of the company.. It was not a really challenging job but it had some peculiarities.

- I provided my services to the European division based in London.. so I had to worked during the night in mexico from 2 AM to 10 AM.. I got this job because I was able to speak german and provide my services to both the german speaking sales force and the english speaking one.

I worked there for a year, and then started working on the family business.. It is a small / medium size company.. the idea is that one day I will be the one in charge of running the company.. No need to say this is one of the main reasons I want to study, I want to be prepare for that day.
I have been rotating from one department to another in order to have a general idea of all the parts of the company.

I recently took the GMAT and got a 650.. I know is not an impressive score... specially when everyday I read posts of people getting 720 or more.. I am concern that I will have to improve my score a little bit more. I was hoping to get at least a 670, but I did not..

I am not interested in applying to the top schools, I am realistic and I want to improve my chances of being accepted in a decent and competitive program.

I am already working on the applications of the schools mentioned above, but since this is my first experience, I am not sure if the essays required and my CV will be good enough. I am wondering if it is worth hiring an specialized service in order to have a more competitive application.

Please any suggestions will be appreciated
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: PROFILE EVALUATION.. ADVISE NEEDED [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 10:32
Hi David,

The best part in your post is approach towards b-school selection. :) You have shortlisted some realistic b-schools which I believe is within your reach. However, to be able to get into a b-school, you need to focus on application essays and exhibit awards/achievements in or outside work place, potential as a leader and how an MBA will help to achieve your dreams. You must also work hard on interviews and showcase maturity, ability to work with others and professionalism. You may try your chances in b-school(s) by clicking http://www.apphelp.co.in/Bschool-selection.htm. Entrepreneur experience will strengthen your candidature.

Let me know in case of further queries. You may PM your details for school selection or discussion in length.

Regards
Erina

davidlf wrote:
Hello everyone
I would like to present my profile and my target MBA programs and get some advise if it is advisable to apply.
Thanks in advance

- ROCHESTER UNIVERSITY
- RICE UNIVERSITY
-NOTRE DAME

I would like to share some academic and professional information that may be relevant .

I lived during 1 year in England in order to improve my English. I attended to an English course my whole time there.
-FCE

I know it is nothing impressive, but I would like to know if the universitites take into consideration if you have some academic international experience and received a certificate to prove that you were doing something productive during your time abroad.

I spent a summer in Alaska working in a cannery. I just wanted to make money , but it was an interesting experience.. It was an adventure.

University.
I combined my regular university courses in Germany with a german course there, I attended the Goethe institute and received the B-1 certificate in german.

-I made my professional practice in the custom administration in mexico for 6 months.
- Social service / internship : Economic development ministry/ state of Jalisco.. in the international promotion department during 8 months.

I wanted to improve my german a bit more and get another certificate so I spent 3 more months in germany taking german classes everyday and got a B-2 german certificate.

After that I got a job in an American company in Mexico (PANDUIT) It was a new team that was created to give service to the sales workforce of the company.. It was not a really challenging job but it had some peculiarities.

- I provided my services to the European division based in London.. so I had to worked during the night in mexico from 2 AM to 10 AM.. I got this job because I was able to speak german and provide my services to both the german speaking sales force and the english speaking one.

I worked there for a year, and then started working on the family business.. It is a small / medium size company.. the idea is that one day I will be the one in charge of running the company.. No need to say this is one of the main reasons I want to study, I want to be prepare for that day.
I have been rotating from one department to another in order to have a general idea of all the parts of the company.

I recently took the GMAT and got a 650.. I know is not an impressive score... specially when everyday I read posts of people getting 720 or more.. I am concern that I will have to improve my score a little bit more. I was hoping to get at least a 670, but I did not..

I am not interested in applying to the top schools, I am realistic and I want to improve my chances of being accepted in a decent and competitive program.

I am already working on the applications of the schools mentioned above, but since this is my first experience, I am not sure if the essays required and my CV will be good enough. I am wondering if it is worth hiring an specialized service in order to have a more competitive application.

GMAT-720
Undergrad- Top 5 college in India
MBA- Top 15 FT ranking b-school

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

Re: PROFILE EVALUATION.. ADVISE NEEDED [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 16:22
David,
You have strong international experience and an interesting story, so given that you are also a Mexican applicant, you will be competitive at all of the schools you listed. Are you open to retaking the GMAT? If you could raise it a bit higher, you would begin to be competitive at some higher ranked programs or you could improve your chances of winning a scholarship at the schools you listed. Again, your profile looks solid and distinctive. Feel free to send me your resume for a closer look.

--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.paulsbodine.com/testimonials

davidlf wrote:
Hello everyone
Thanks in advance

- ROCHESTER UNIVERSITY
- RICE UNIVERSITY
-NOTRE DAME

-FCE

University.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 1

Re: PROFILE EVALUATION.. ADVISE NEEDED [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 09:49
Expert's post
Hi there,

Firstly, thank you for so much information! That is incredibly helpful. I agree with Paul's comment regarding the GMAT. Even a slight improvement may open the doors to slightly higher ranks and each notch you can climb makes a difference. Given your goals you're going for a thorough business education and the ability to gain hands on experience so I'm not saying this from a pure pedigree standpoint (where, for example, it might matter for someone trying to get into consulting).

I think you have a good profile and definitely a lot of experiences to pull from. Additionally, some of them, like the cannery, are definitely off the beaten path. Overall, your path through life to this point hasn't been the standard, cookie cutter approach and that will be your key differentiator.

I won't reiterate what Erina and Paul have mentioned because i agree with them. I will, however, address your last question about specialized service. Obviously, we provide these services as well but I am writing the below as objectively as possible to help you out.

The main advantage to consulting services is that we don't just help you turn out good, individual components like a good resume or a good essay. Firstly, we work with the client to understand the ins and outs of your application to make sure those components are great. But secondly, and more importantly, we make sure all these components work together. That's the real advantage services like ours bring to the table - it's how we help you put forward a cohesive, unified, and compelling application that works together to touch upon key themes.

If you have questions - please don't hesitate to ask. I hope that helps a little in understanding what the value proposition of services like ours actually is.

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: PROFILE EVALUATION.. ADVISE NEEDED [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 11:02
Ideally you would like a higher GMAT score. But unlike the advice I give Indian applicants Mexicans usually score lower on the GMAT because of the lack of standardized testing in Central America.

Where did you go to university? If you graduated from a name undergraduate institution like Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México or Tecnológico de Monterrey, this will help your admissions chances.

I think you are already competitive for the schools you are targeting and actually can aim higher. I think you are competitive for the top 16-20 and with a higher GMAT score would be competitive for the Top 8-15.

The key is to position your experience as strongly as possible with your family business and how some of your previous work experience help you with your family business. More and more schools are focusing on family business (although thought leaders like Kellogg, Wharton and NYU Stern are out of your range with your present score). Check the entrepreneurship programs of schools outside of the top 15 and see which have family business (sometimes called family enterprise) course, clubs, and/or conferences.

Best of luck,

Michael Cohan
President
MBAPrepAdvantage
305-604-8178
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com/blog
Give KUDOS! if a post helps you
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on GMAT Club & https://twitter.com/mbaprepadv and Michael Cohan on https://plus.google.com/u/0/112394163312774253233
Like MBAPrepAdvantage on https://www.facebook.com/MBAPrepAdvantage

MBAPrepAdvantage offers a free initial assessment to gauge your MBA admissions chances and the strength of your candidacy. Email us a brief description of your goals along with your target schools, resume, GPA, and GMAT score at info@mbaprepadvantage.com.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: PROFILE EVALUATION.. ADVISE NEEDED [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 07:04
Thanks to everyone, I really appreciate you took the time to reply.

I have read that everyone (including me) considers that I should try to improve my gmat score. I really think it is a good idea. But I was wondering how many points should I improve in order to be competitive in better ranked program. I have no problem with taking the test again, by how many points should improve my score in order to make a difference in my application?

Lets say I score a 660 will that really make a difference? or I should only consider to retake the test if I am looking to improve 20, 30 or more points..

Thanks in advance
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 1

Re: PROFILE EVALUATION.. ADVISE NEEDED [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 07:59
Expert's post
Hey David,

I think the answer to your question comes down to perception versus statistical impact. For example, 660 after a 650 wouldn't make a statistical difference to the adcoms and merely reiterate that the 650ish level is accurate for your abilities on the exam.

However, a 20 - 30 point improvement not only improves your score's perception, but also statistically via the percentile.

Either way, I still think you should take it again but what you're really going for is the 20-30 point improvement. a 680 would put you in a good spot within the range of most of the top programs. Also, that will paint a story around trajectory and say, "look, I got a 650 but then I studied and improved X" which is a great thing to be able to say.

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: PROFILE EVALUATION.. ADVISE NEEDED   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2013, 07:59