Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 2: 710
Send PM
Re: profile evaluation age 22 F [#permalink]
I think you have an interesting profile. You can play on the diversity aspect for your application because you are a female from Kazakhstan. I don't know much about the European school, but in my opinion 600 is low for MIT, especially since you only got 38 on the quant. MIT students are known for their strong quantitative skills, so if you want to attend Sloan, I would recommend get over 700 on your GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
caleoptera wrote:
Ozzie, thanks for ur reply! :)
do u apply to some other schools? If yes, what r they?
I made my list: HEC, Bocconi, Oxford and may be Essec (as a safety) + some US school :)

Well I applied mostly to US Schools. My R1 school would be Fuqua, Tepper, and Darden (only the first 2 invite me to the interview, I think I got dinged by Darden). I was also planning on going to HEC Paris and IESE Spain or Cambridge but I'll need to research more on them because I don't want to over-stress my recommender for writing too much recommendation :D - no safety school for me though for some reason.

Without sounding racist or sexist, I believe your profile as female with an adequate work experience that comes from an east european country will be really interesting for an adcom. Just make sure you write your essay to your advantage (like challenges on doing business in your country and your accomplishment on overcoming those challenges, your ability to work in diversity, etc). If you can play your cards right, your GMAT shouldn't be a problem anyway (but again, just to be safe try to retake it to score in 650 - just remember, GMAT score is not everything. If you feel that you can't improve any longer on GMAT, it's better to prep up your essay instead).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Don't worry, Ozzie. U r not sounding racist or sexist... And btw Kazakhstan has nothing to do with East Europe. Look at the map, mate. Now I do not want to sound offensive :) But it's 9th biggest country in the world, located in Central Asia :)
Thanks a lot for your advice. I will try with HEC, Oxford and Bocconi. I got accepted to MEB program at ESCP-EAP, I will defer it till Sep and this wud be my safety school.
I just don't feel like retaking exam. However I think it is possible to get 650... Will it change the picture drastically?! Don't really think so... I will consider some US schools as well!
Ozzie, we shud shoot for the best :) Good luck :)))))
Manager
Manager
Send PM
caleoptera wrote:
Don't worry, Ozzie. U r not sounding racist or sexist... And btw Kazakhstan has nothing to do with East Europe. Look at the map, mate. Now I do not want to sound offensive :) But it's 9th biggest country in the world, located in Central Asia :)
Thanks a lot for your advice. I will try with HEC, Oxford and Bocconi. I got accepted to MEB program at ESCP-EAP, I will defer it till Sep and this wud be my safety school.
I just don't feel like retaking exam. However I think it is possible to get 650... Will it change the picture drastically?! Don't really think so... I will consider some US schools as well!
Ozzie, we shud shoot for the best :) Good luck :)))))

So sorry, an honest mistake. Did looked at the map and with the close proximity to russia, I wrongly assumed that it's in eastern europe :P. Nonetheless, since most of the applicants from Asia come from India (to some extent, China), you do stand a good chance of admission.

Well since I haven't done any in-depth research on the schools you mentioned I don't know for sure but I think increasing your GMAT from 600 to 650 is a big deal. Just don't fixate on it too much and neglect the rest of your application ;-) - hope that clears the misunderstanding.

Oh hey, answering your earlier question. I know a guy (admitted last year) that got admitted to Chicago GSB (now Booth) with 640 (forgot the precise number, but in the low 600). So all is not lost for the sub-700 GMAT taker (including me :D), it's just that we have to have a really good essay/work experience.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah, that's ok! :) Kazakhstan is in Eurasia... Some part in Europe and some in Asia. 8-)
How's it going with Tepper and Fuqua?
W/e is not my asset :) I'm only 22. But it's time to do mba now. I won't have a chance later. Being female, things like marriage and kids might happen. Need to do everything quickly! :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 2: 710
Send PM
If you absolutely want to apply for B-School. You should apply for a safety school. Being only 22 with limited work experience, it's difficult to get into the top B-School (at least in the US) unless you have some other outstanding qualities. You do have a unique background because of your country, but I'm not sure that's enough. I'm not discouraging you from applying to top school, but I think it would not be a wise investment for your time or money.
GMAT Club Bot