Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: profile Evaluation + Age Concern [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Okay, so where to start?
Let's start with the GMAT. Don't retake. It'd be a waste of your time. At this point, you need to maximize your time if you intend to apply this round, and the time you spend on your GMAT to get a score that will MIGHT go up that is not the best use of your resources IMHO.

Instead use that month to add two-three applications to your list. Broaden your chances.

700 is good. Excellent even. Now as far as the age, you are totally right. INSEAD is much more accepting of older candidates. Actually this goes for ALL European programs. They are a bit more flexible when it comes to both age and GMAT. If you are adding schools in the US, just have a look at their "Average age" statistic. If it's 26 (Harvard) it may be a bit tougher, and if it's 28 it'll be a bit easier.

How to differentiate? that's easy!! you lead a DIVISION!!! of TWO HUNDRED PEOPLE!!!!! Do you realize how rare this is??? even five years AFTER an MBA most people don't lead as much. Batter them down with stories about you leading and training and motivating hundreds of people. There's nothing better you can do to help your chances! Wow!

And if you need any additional help, you just drop us a line.
:)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi

There was a slight concern that I had. I led this division (and 200 employees - around 15 direct reports and rest indirect reports) during the very initial part of my career i.e. second year of my first job. After this, I went for my master's degree and then led a team of 7 people in my next firm and am leading 4 people in my current firm. The team size is reducing because of nature of work and size of organisation. My first company was a large infrastructure company with almost 10000 employees, the second one was in consulting, with around 150 employees, and current one (private equity) has around 15 employees. Do you think, this can be a concern? Further, can I still write stories about leading 200 people, even if this happened like 6 years back??

Also, the fact that I have already done a master's degree (Masters in Management Studies - Finance), is a disadvantage for me?

Regards
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
First of all, leading those teams is always valid do you can and should still mention it. As for your career progress, well it depends. The thing you want to show is that you are moving up. So for example, it happens a lot that I see candidates who lead teams of 20 in some specific industry and then move to consulting to lead a team of 0! :)

But it still is a move upwards. So as long as you can show that you have kept that forward motion, you should be fine.
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts