Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 12:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation (age issue?)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation (age issue?) [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 04:12
education:

- 3.5/4.00 GPA humanities double-major (Top 10% from top Canadian university i.e. McGill/University of British Columbia/University of Toronto, graduated with top distinction) including 2 commencement awards for highest graduating senior in Foreign Languages and Literature

- MA in International Relations/Area Studies from Top Ivy (HYP) with master's thesis; 5 summer grants for research project including year-long post-graduation overseas research project with full funding

- presented working papers at several conferences throughout Europe; while in grad school, departments editor of one journal, editor in chief of another with visilibity in NYC/DC

work and internship exp:

- while in grad school, two 2 month internships overseas at the UN/OECD/World Bank/OSCE/Red Cross; one for policy, second for research

- finance management program at market leading F500 in Europe (i.e. Google/Microsoft/P&G/Unilever/Johnson&Johnson/GE) with next role likely in corporate strategy finance (1 year WE so far, will be applying within 2-3 years from now); assume positive contributions and likely 1 promotion by time of application

community activities

- trustee for local nonprofit ($3 million USD budget) for socially disenfranchised that assists with employment and developing roles within community - my responsibilities: maintaining financial budgets and strategic planning (3 years exp at point of application)

- treasurer for international human rights organization; responsibilities include fiscal oversight and budget planning (3 years exp at point of application)

qualifications/tests

- fully CPA/CIMA/CMA/ACA/ACCA qualified at time of application
- all 3 levels of CFA qualified
(partial qualifications on both so far)
- GMAT 760 Q50/V44, 6.0

personal intangibles(?)
- East Asian Canadian
- native English, professional proficiency (with certification) in 3 European languages, conversational French
- since college, lived/studied/worked in 6 foreign countries for a total of 9 years at point of application

schools
looking mostly at joint MBA & Kennedy School MPP degrees

- Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, Dartmouth, MIT
- Yale (strong nonprofit program)

why MBA?

interested in joint degree as would like to pursue consulting for 2 years with a public sector focus and transition to international development or public-private partnerships.

In addition to appraising my chances, could you kindly: i) suggest how I can strengthen my candidacy as I will be applying within 3 years' time; ii) interpret how much age will be a negative factor for the aforementioned schools was I will be 32-34 at the time of application; and iii) suggest any safety schools that I might want to consider, given the cutthroat competitiveness of the schools I've listed.

Many thanks, and happy new year!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation (age issue?) [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 14:46
Expert's post
dodger wrote:
education:

- 3.5/4.00 GPA humanities double-major (Top 10% from top Canadian university i.e. McGill/University of British Columbia/University of Toronto, graduated with top distinction) including 2 commencement awards for highest graduating senior in Foreign Languages and Literature

- MA in International Relations/Area Studies from Top Ivy (HYP) with master's thesis; 5 summer grants for research project including year-long post-graduation overseas research project with full funding

- presented working papers at several conferences throughout Europe; while in grad school, departments editor of one journal, editor in chief of another with visilibity in NYC/DC

work and internship exp:

- while in grad school, two 2 month internships overseas at the UN/OECD/World Bank/OSCE/Red Cross; one for policy, second for research

- finance management program at market leading F500 in Europe (i.e. Google/Microsoft/P&G/Unilever/Johnson&Johnson/GE) with next role likely in corporate strategy finance (1 year WE so far, will be applying within 2-3 years from now); assume positive contributions and likely 1 promotion by time of application

community activities

- trustee for local nonprofit ($3 million USD budget) for socially disenfranchised that assists with employment and developing roles within community - my responsibilities: maintaining financial budgets and strategic planning (3 years exp at point of application)

- treasurer for international human rights organization; responsibilities include fiscal oversight and budget planning (3 years exp at point of application)

qualifications/tests

- fully CPA/CIMA/CMA/ACA/ACCA qualified at time of application
- all 3 levels of CFA qualified
(partial qualifications on both so far)
- GMAT 760 Q50/V44, 6.0

personal intangibles(?)
- East Asian Canadian
- native English, professional proficiency (with certification) in 3 European languages, conversational French
- since college, lived/studied/worked in 6 foreign countries for a total of 9 years at point of application

schools
looking mostly at joint MBA & Kennedy School MPP degrees

- Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, Dartmouth, MIT
- Yale (strong nonprofit program)

why MBA?

interested in joint degree as would like to pursue consulting for 2 years with a public sector focus and transition to international development or public-private partnerships.

In addition to appraising my chances, could you kindly: i) suggest how I can strengthen my candidacy as I will be applying within 3 years' time; ii) interpret how much age will be a negative factor for the aforementioned schools was I will be 32-34 at the time of application; and iii) suggest any safety schools that I might want to consider, given the cutthroat competitiveness of the schools I've listed.

Many thanks, and happy new year!

You're welcome, and happy new year to you too.

It is a little difficult say when most people would complete masters at 24-25 and working 4 years would make them 28. I feel like I am missing information. Age is not supposed to affect admissions, but levels of work experience do. So will you apply with 4 year of work experience or 8? If the latter, it can really hurt you at schools like Stanfordand HBS. If you were in the military for several years, then your experience will be valued and age really won't play a role. Your chances at the other programs on your list are strong.

You may also want to consider London Business Schooland INSEAD. For a safety program, consider Georgetown.

Regards,
Linda

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation (age issue?) [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 15:03
hi Linda,

many thanks for your reply and for your insight, it's greatly appreciated. I will be applying when I am between 32-34 years of age, which would mean I will have 3.5-5.5 years of experience at the time of application (assuming R1). If I understood you correctly, age will not be a major detriment for Harvard and Stanford if I am within the desired ballpark range of 4-6 years of work experience at time of application?

As for being 32-34, this can be attributed to the fact that: i) in the 1990s, Canadians spent 5 years in high school [1 extra year]; ii) I spent 6 years in undergrad (switched majors twice in order to find my "true intellectual passions") [2 extra years]; and iii) my MA program was 2 years long and spent 1 full year on the fellowship program overseas [1 extra year], so that would explain the 4 year gap in a nutshell.

I have no actual gaps in my academic/employment history, but needless to say, these unconventional factors aren't nearly as compelling as, say, serving in the military for 4 years. How detrimental would the aforementioned be to my application, and is there a way that I could mitigate this problem with a logical/original/persuasive narrative, such as stressing my international experience (i.e. speak 5 languages, spent 5 out of 8 summers abroad working/studying/living abroad while an undergrad/grad student). Or if there's anything else in my candidacy that I should focus on within the next 3 years...

Once again, many thanks!
Current Student
Schools: Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation (age issue?) [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 15:22
dodger wrote:
hi Linda,

many thanks for your reply and for your insight, it's greatly appreciated. I will be applying when I am between 32-34 years of age, which would mean I will have 3.5-5.5 years of experience at the time of application (assuming R1). If I understood you correctly, age will not be a major detriment for Harvard and Stanford if I am within the desired ballpark range of 4-6 years of work experience at time of application?

As for being 32-34, this can be attributed to the fact that: i) in the 1990s, Canadians spent 5 years in high school [1 extra year]; ii) I spent 6 years in undergrad (switched majors twice in order to find my "true intellectual passions") [2 extra years]; and iii) my MA program was 2 years long and spent 1 full year on the fellowship program overseas [1 extra year], so that would explain the 4 year gap in a nutshell.

I have no actual gaps in my academic/employment history, but needless to say, these unconventional factors aren't nearly as compelling as, say, serving in the military for 4 years. How detrimental would the aforementioned be to my application, and is there a way that I could mitigate this problem with a logical/original/persuasive narrative, such as stressing my international experience (i.e. speak 5 languages, spent 5 out of 8 summers abroad working/studying/living abroad while an undergrad/grad student). Or if there's anything else in my candidacy that I should focus on within the next 3 years...

Once again, many thanks!

Just for an FYI, check out http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/blog-all.html. You'd be the second oldest person in this year's entering class. I'm not trying to discourage you, but I saw this after applying to HBS. I would have been the 7th oldest person after completing my contracted military service if I hadn't been rejected. Not that this was why I was rejected, but HBS appears to really prefer younger folks.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation (age issue?) [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 18:00
Expert's post
dodger wrote:
hi Linda,

Once again, many thanks!

Dodger,

Thanks for the additional information. That explains it. Officially the school look at amount of full-time work experience, not age.

In terms of how to present your educational path, emphasizing your international experience is definitely a great way to go. That is something the schools will appreciate. In terms of how to narrate it, that will depend on a lot of things including questions you are responding to, what you have done between now and your application, and what you wan to do after your MBA, for starters.

My advice: apply as soon as you are ready, and the sooner the better.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog