Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 03:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation...Am I aiming at the right schools?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 53

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Profile Evaluation...Am I aiming at the right schools? [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2010, 13:28
Hi Scott, Thank you for reviewing

Female, age 28 at matriculation, American, Fall 2011 entry
Education: Arizona State University, B.S. Marketing. Minor: Psychology. GPA 3.8/4.0
1 month abroad as part of international business program
GMAT: 690 V:44, Q:42 I am retaking in October and really trying to improve my quant, but how much am I at a disadvantage if I don't improve above a 690?

Work Experience: 5.5 years at time of entry. Current position (3.5 years): Create marketing and advertising campaigns on a national level, manage media spending and budgets for over 30 markets totaling around $3 million each year. Develop strategies with travel industry leaders and major airlines to jointly promote both products, cross-marketing etc. Analyze resluts from campaigns
Prior Position (2 years): Media planner/buyer at local ad agency, was promoted from media assistant. My current job is a direct progression from this one with more responsibility and on a much larger scale.

Extra-Curricular: I'm a semi-professional artist on the side of my career. I've mostly sold acrylic paintings, but have also found a niche being commissioned for large-scale chalk murals on pavement for corporate events as well as volunteer this skill participating in fundraisers consisting of hundreds of artists. I have volunteered with Free Arts of Arizona over the past 3 years, which is a program that brings the healing prospects of art to at-risk and abused children. I have been certified as a mentor, in which I've weekly developed projects to help build the children's interpersonal skills and finding a release through art for 2 years. This past year I combined my outside work by suggesting to Free Arts that I lead a workshop on chalk art with the children and allow them to participate in a fundraiser by collaborating on a mural in front of thousands of people, building their self-esteem and being able to give back to the community, instead of only being on the receiving end.

My goals after an mba is to continue in marketing, but really focus on product management at an international level

I am looking at: Stanford, Kellogg, Berkeley, Chicago and Oxford, will be applying R2 for all since I decided late in the game to re-take the GMAT. Are these all within reach? Or should I be looking at some less competitive schools?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by Michmax3 on 16 Dec 2010, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation...Am I aiming at the right schools? [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2010, 14:36
You have a strong profile, great work experience, solid GMAT score and can clearly articulate your career goals. You have chosen some competitive programs however you are a strong applicant. Don't spend too much time focusing on the GMAT. Your score is solidly within the 80% range for the programs on your list. When you apply, be sure to highlight any quantitative aspects of your job or any experience that shows yours comfort with numbers. That said, your GMAT score should not be a source of worry.

Instead, start focusing on the other aspects of your application. I am sure that you have heard that the GMAT is only one component of the application and this is true. While a very low GMAT may knock you out of the running, a great GMAT will not guarantee acceptance. Therefore, you should plan to spend significant time on your essays, interview prep, school visits (where possible) and identification of individuals who can write strong LORs.

Also, make sure you know the ins and outs of each programs' marketing concentrations and also are familiar with their recruiting relationships. Finally, avoid a generic approach to the application process and be sure to highlight specific areas that interest you about each program.

Scottie
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Save 10% on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.