Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 23:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Amit UC Berkley

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - Amit UC Berkley [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 15:12
Hi ,

I work as a Senior Software Design Engineer in one of the major Semiconductor company in the Bay area and I wanted to see if I stand a chance in UC Berkley- Haas (Part Time/Evening ) MBA program for 2012 .

Here are some details :

GMAT - 680 (V 35,Q 48)

Background - 7 years of stellar experience in Information Technology industry , have worked with major players in Consumer Electronics market like Nokia , Symbian OS , Tivo , ST Microelectronics.

Past experience involves lots of interaction at design and technical level with Company's Partners and licensees .
Have also lead couple of major projects to successful completion .
-Have lead teams of size 4 or less and managed support project for Symbian .
Last 3.5 years have been in the US .
Also have tried my hands on a start up venture to experience closer control over the product and the process behind it . Achieved some first hand experience in striking a customer deal by accompanying my VP of Engineering to various technical discussions and meetings in Singapore .
Have been a technical interface between teams in Nokia and Symbian at various occasions to shape up the current and future existence of a technology in Symbian-Nokia ecosystem
Well versed with Software engineering models and life cycle of products like (Smartphones, Set top Box , TV) right from the manufacturing to the distribution.

Education - Honors degree in Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Science ) from University of Rajasthan , India .
GPA - Not sure on this but based on some suggestions, I came out with 3.5

Extra Activities - Performed various extra curricular activities in school and college . To name a
few :
- Captain of Volleyball team in college .
- Directed and acted in theaters at college level .
- Participated in various technical seminars at state level.
- Gym Instructor for few months .

Charity and Social Service -
Have serviced a blind school for six months in Bangalore , India(teaching , food distribution , sponsoring books and materials).
Active Charity member for couple of women education charity trusts in Rajasthan , India .

Other Info -
Male , Age 30 , from India

Your suggestions/advise is highly appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile Evaluation - Amit UC Berkley [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 19:22
Expert's post
Hi gmatamit81,

Although your GMAT score is below the average of Haas's part-time program (the average GMAT score is 700), part-time MBA programs will focus more on your work experience than your GMAT and undergraduate record. Top MBA programs, which Haas certainly is one of, are looking for individuals with leadership experience, so you will need to stress this in your application. They want individuals who have made an impact and will continue to do so. I recommend you focus on these areas as much as you can in your personal essays and letters of recommendation.

I also suggest that you read this case study of an engineer who differentiated his application through his leadership experience, and subsequently was accepted into Columbia, Tuck, and MIT.

http://www.stacyblackman.com/comprehens ... ies/case2/

I hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap