Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation and admin consultant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Profile evaluation and admin consultant [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2009, 23:11
Hello,

I will be applying to B-schools in 2 years but I am very motivated towards it and I would like to know what are the things I can do in the interim to strengthen my profile

My current profile(I am 26, Indian):

BE (Computer Science, 72% from a middle tier Indian university ranked 20-25)
MS (Computer Science, GPA 3.6 from a top 10 US university)

GMAT: 770(99%) (Q:50(94%), V: 47(99%), AWA: 5.5(80%))

Work experience:

My work experience is not IT related. I work as a Business Analyst(BA) for one of the Fortune 3 energy companies in USA. I have been working for 18 months now (had 2 internships with the same company while I was a student working towards my MS degree).
I have already been elevated to lead BA and have been been assigned mentor to 2 new hires. I hope to gain more leadership experience in the future with my company.

Ex-curricular:

- Co-Chair of the community service organization in my company
- Worked part-time for an energy non-profit during undergrad (1 year)
- Worked for a non-profit for 1 year that is owned by Steven Spielberg ( involved in rehabilitating World war Holocaust victims. I have a good story to tell about this experience as I was very involved in this. I have my picture next to Steven Spielberg on their web site! 8-) )
- Played soccer for undergrad college
- Was assigned Teaching Assistant for one of the courses in the business school of my graduate university ( The b-school is ranked top 20 in US rankings and I worked with the associate dean of the Business school during this time)
- Headed the Association of Indian students in my graduate university ( I expanded the organization and brought some new ideas I can talk about)

My questions/concern:

1. I know I am doomed to be part of the Indian IT application pool but do you think that my non IT US work experience , US degree and some of my unique extra-curricular activities can help offset that limitation?

2. My undergrad in India was not stellar but I did go to a top graduate program in US. Do you think my graduate GPA from a top university and a good GMAT score will help offset the undergrad limitation?

3. My target schools are Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, Kellogg, MIT, NYU. Do you think I have a fair shot at them and what can I do in the next 2 years so improve my chances?

4. I am absolutely sure that I would be taking help from an admission consultant when I apply. If I am planning my application for Fall 2011 (to get in the 2012 fall class) how early should I contact you?

Thanks and I really appreciate your effort in helping the applicants with their question!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation and admin consultant [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 19:44
This post received
KUDOS
mustangpower,

1. I know I am doomed to be part of the Indian IT application pool but do you think that my non IT US work experience , US degree and some of my unique extra-curricular activities can help offset that limitation?
Yes, primarily because your work isn't IT related. You need to emphasize that fact.

2. My undergrad in India was not stellar but I did go to a top graduate program in US. Do you think my graduate GPA from a top university and a good GMAT score will help offset the undergrad limitation?
Without question, yes. Your GMAT score eliminates any worries schools might have about your academic abilities.

3. My target schools are Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, Kellogg, MIT, NYU. Do you think I have a fair shot at them and what can I do in the next 2 years so improve my chances?
Yes, I do. You need to keep building up leadership experiences at and outside of work, keep working on a 'fast-track' career pace, and keep choosing extracurricular involvements that are distinctive (in addition to giving you leadership opportunities). You're on the right track.

4. I am absolutely sure that I would be taking help from an admission consultant when I apply. If I am planning my application for Fall 2011 (to get in the 2012 fall class) how early should I contact you?
We should touch base next spring and we could begin the process as early as May or June, since we could start on the goals essay whether schools have released their new applications or not. Would be glad to work with you. Please contact me at pbodine@accepted.com.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Profile evaluation and admin consultant [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2009, 06:28
Thank you Paul for your response! It's not common to get straight "no non-sense" answers from admission consultants (somehow the ones I have talked to seemed so bitter :) )

I just wanted to clarify...I will be submitting my application in fall 2011 (not 2010). I believe you meant that I should contact you Spring 2011 (not 2010).

Anyway I will be sure to contact you! Thanks again for for your help
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation and admin consultant [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 18:57