Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 05:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation and advice - 740 GMAT, extracurriculars?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation and advice - 740 GMAT, extracurriculars? [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2013, 08:05
University: Just outside top-50 business school
Academics: Quantitative Economics, 3.7 GPA, 3.9 in-major, 4.0 in math
GMAT: 740(97%), 48Q(78%) 44V(97%)
Work: Corporate finance, fortune 100 bulge bracket; plan on working for 3 years before applying
Ethnicity: White hispanic
Extracurriculars: Avid guitarist, but this is about it. Charity is important to me, and I need to find a good community service program.

What are my odds at the top 7, and how can I improve my profile, particularly through extracurriculars? I hope that my math background helps to ease concerns about my GMAT split. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation and advice - 740 GMAT, extracurriculars? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 02:57
Hi
Congratulations on your high GMAT score.
Normally ad coms of top b schools look mainly for these points in your application
1. Strong Academics (GMAT, University brand, GPA, etc)
2. Leadership (roles and achievements in professional or non-professional setting)
3. Extracurricular/social activities
As your GMAT and qualifications (GPA) tick the first point, you need to work hard to attain the next two qualities before applying.
Project some goals in your work for the next 3 years and make sure achieve most of them. Assume leadership positions as much as you can in your work and try to lead from front. It is about the results you achieve in those roles. Just a fancy role name will not help.
Then, we have extracurricular activities which most of us forget when we move on to work life. As most of the applicants will have similar academics and work experience, extracurricular activities differentiates extraordinary candidates from normal candidates. So choose any activity that you are very passionate about. It could be mentoring inner city kids, building homes for the underprivileged, raising money for cancer etc. or what you have and work hard to achieve success in that field as well. Please don’t just be a volunteer. It is a good place to start but lead from the front on at least one cause. Remember, anyone can be a volunteer.

Good luck with your application.

Interviewbay
Mock Interviews and Application Reviews by Alumni
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation and advice - 740 GMAT, extracurriculars? [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 07:39
I will surmise that you have recently graduated and will work for three years before applying.

Within your work setting seek leadership roles in whatever capacity you can. This could include joining multi-functional taskforces and recruiting on behalf of HR. One way to show leadership in both a professional capacity and within the community is to join whatever corporate social responsibility initiatives your company has. Speaking of community service I agree with Interviewbay that you should use this time to discover what you are passionate about and invest your energy in these activities. There are website that you can put your zip code and interests in to discover local organizations. Check out http://www.volunteermatch.org.

Best of luck,

Michael Cohan
President
MBAPrepAdvantage
305-604-8178
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com/blog
Give KUDOS! if a post helps you
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on GMAT Club & https://twitter.com/mbaprepadv and Michael Cohan on https://plus.google.com/u/0/112394163312774253233
Like MBAPrepAdvantage on https://www.facebook.com/MBAPrepAdvantage

MBAPrepAdvantage offers a free initial assessment to gauge your MBA admissions chances and the strength of your candidacy. Email us a brief description of your goals along with your target schools, resume, GPA, and GMAT score at info@mbaprepadvantage.com.

Re: Profile evaluation and advice - 740 GMAT, extracurriculars?   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2013, 07:39