Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation and college suggestion for IT professiona

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation and college suggestion for IT professiona [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 01:03
Hi
I am a MBA aspirant from India. I am a B.E.(Computer Science) with 5.5 years of working experience. My gmat score is 710 and I am looking for good B-School options in US. I have been involved with a NGO where we used to spread awareness about AIDS. I was always involved in extra curricular activities like sports and politics. I am a worked of a national political party and I have even managed election campaigns of district level. The real problem I am facing is I am not able to decide

1. Wether I should apply to top 10 and wether taking admissions in top 10 and paying a fee of around $200,000 is worth?

2. I want to go to finance field and so not sure what are the colleges that are good in finance but they also admit people from IT background?

Please guide.
Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation and college suggestion for IT professiona [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2010, 12:24
Hi Paramveer,

Your GMAT score and work ex are both decent ( we won't say great just because you fall under Indian/ IT male).

Your extra currics are pretty unconventional. So use them well to differentiate yourself.

You can target top 10 schools and can manage the expenses well within 125,000 USD ( we can tell this from first hand experience). So, ROI can be justified.

For finance just make sure that your essays clearly articulate short term/ long term goals in financial markets and reflect your inclination to make a career shift. B schools should feel that the story is convincing and you can make a shift.

Feel free to write to us for any queries.

Apphelp Team

Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy

Preparing for GMAT? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP (apphelp.co.in)
Phone: +91 9871354580
Blog: http://www.blog.apphelp.co.in
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/apphelpconsulting

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile evaluation and college suggestion for IT professiona [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 21:10
paramveersinghz wrote:
Hi
I am a MBA aspirant from India. I am a B.E.(Computer Science) with 5.5 years of working experience. My gmat score is 710 and I am looking for good B-School options in US. I have been involved with a NGO where we used to spread awareness about AIDS. I was always involved in extra curricular activities like sports and politics. I am a worked of a national political party and I have even managed election campaigns of district level. The real problem I am facing is I am not able to decide

1. Wether I should apply to top 10 and wether taking admissions in top 10 and paying a fee of around $200,000 is worth?

2. I want to go to finance field and so not sure what are the colleges that are good in finance but they also admit people from IT background?

Please guide.
Thanks!

Hi Paramveer,

The answers to your questions are:

1. Whether I should apply to top 10 and wether taking admissions in top 10 and paying a fee of around $200,000 is worth?

You need to assess your present financial commitment for MBA and calculate your Return on Investment as your main area of concern is if $200,000 is worth putting into. You are possibly the best person to answer this as you need to be clear on what exactly you will do after MBA and how much that will help you make financially. Then you may come up with the conclusion if putting in money of that order makes sense to you or not.
However, you should try to maximize your chances and your spread your target list to top 30 rather than restricting to only top 10 as top 10 are highly unpredictable and extremely competitive.

Schools that are good in finance coursework are NYU, Columbia, Harvard, Wharton, Kellogg (though they may not be reputed as schools that are exclusively known for finance but going to them will help you get into whatever domain you wish to change to)
Practically schools would want to see finance experience on your CV to admit you to MBA in case you wish to pitch in stating that you want to move to finance. Your application strategy to get into on of them should be to state your short term goals and long term goals in alignment with your past professional experience.

Feel free to email me if you need more information.

With Best Regards,
Neha Singh
General Education
http://www.general-ed.com

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Re: Profile evaluation and college suggestion for IT professiona   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2010, 21:10