Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 18:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation and next steps (UPDATE: GMAT SCORE)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

CAT Tests
Profile evaluation and next steps (UPDATE: GMAT SCORE) [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 07:36
Hoping you can help me in seeing what I can achieve.

Male, 24, Planning to apply in 2014, Canadian (Persian)

Undergrad - Bachelor of Commerce, Major in Marketing Management. School Ranking: ARWU World 201-300. Top 10 in Canada. Top 3 Comprehensive in Canada.
GPA: This is where things get interesting. Overall 2.75 GPA. Last two year: 3.55 GPA. Last year: 3.85

My first couple of years at undergrad were abysmal. I essentially wrote mid terms and finals. Did not attend classes, no assignments. I was going through some stuff: Personal problems coupled with financial issues (had to defer payment for several semesters), which amounted to health issues. However, I do not want to use this as an excuse. All of this could have been avoided if I had matured and understood what I was doing. Not taking responsibility for my actions led me into the mess, and I am not about to do it again. In my last two years, I smartened up. (You can call it life altering circumstances, but really, it was me finally understanding that I had the ability to turn everything around.) I started caring about my work, going to classes, and committing myself to classes while working 20 hours a week. I actually managed a 4.0 in a class (Theory of Finance) which had a class average of 1.3.

Work experience: 2 years to date, 4 years by application time. After turning things around, I managed an internship in between my 3rd and 4th year as a Marketing Intern. My first job out of school was for a think tank of sorts in Toronto (conferences, reports). I began as a Marketing Researcher, and was promoted to Marketing Project Manager within 2 months. I resurrected a failing brand/project, and launched two successful ones which are now pillar programs at the company. In my time there, I also managed the sales team for 2 months while the company was looking for a new sales manager. This included coaching, pep talks, interviewing, and hiring. Met a number of influential people in this position, and opened up a conference in New York City.

After a year, I received a call from the company in which I had done my internship and decided to jump ship. My current company is an engineering/manufacturing firm based out of Germany. Company has 29 production sites around the world and 40 sales/marketing offices around the world. (700m euros in sales) In my role, I wear two hats: I handle all marketing activities in Canada (campaign development, media planning and buying, coming up with creative, and handling trade shows.) I also work in the Business Development function, handling Western Canada. In this role, I advise engineers, consultants and architects. Am in charge of the western budget with the ASM for West Canada. There has been talks with the President that I move into a solely marketing role in a year or two as we keep expanding in Canada.

Career Path: Marketing and marketing strategy is really my passion. I have my reasons why I am in this line and plan on staying in it. I would like to start working with a consumer facing brand, and the long term goal is to eventually start an Agency with the people I meet along the way.

More details: Ran my own business for a summer (hard to prove this though.) Played soccer throughout high school (Don Boscoe NCAA Showcase MVP). Avid reader. I know that I need to step up my extra-curriculars if I am to have any chance.

Now that that's over (sorry for the length), here is what I need help with:

1. Can I make up for my overall GPA?
2. What should I aim for in my GMAT?
3. Should I take a calculus/statistics course to show my proficiency?
4. What schools should I look into based on my profile? Is Kellogg a pipe dream? Is Kelly achievable? Are there any under-the-radar Marketing programs which are known and respected in the industry?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to review this.

Last edited by forevertfc on 01 Mar 2014, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation and next steps [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 01:40
Expert's post
forevertfc wrote:
Now that that's over (sorry for the length), here is what I need help with:

1. Can I make up for my overall GPA?
2. What should I aim for in my GMAT?
3. Should I take a calculus/statistics course to show my proficiency?
4. What schools should I look into based on my profile? Is Kellogg a pipe dream? Is Kelly achievable? Are there any under-the-radar Marketing programs which are known and respected in the industry?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to review this.

Thanks for the long and very detailed post.
It's helpful to figure out where you stand and what you can do with it. Let's jump straight into your questions.

1. Yes and No. Meaning you CAN minimize it's effect, and boost your profile by a) telling them your story which you wrote above b) showing maturation and success in other areas (especially the GMAT). your 2.75 will still be a 2.75, but you will need to prove them you can succeed by showing them other things
2. Hmmmmm. As high as you can get :)
3. If you have low grades in math/stat/calc classes, then YES! This can help.
4. Hard to say at this point without a GMAT. I would say the only ones that no matter what you do will remain very hard are H/S/W. Everything else is possible, depending upon your work success, GMAT, quality of essays, etc.

Sooo, good luck on your way forward, and I would suggest getting back to us with your GMAT (and of course if you got any more questions)

Hope this helps,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | The Team | Get a Free Consultation | 2013-2014 Essay Analyses

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

CAT Tests
Re: Profile evaluation and next steps [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2014, 09:58
Hi,

I thought I would update this and ask for your assessment.

I wrote the GMAT today - for the 2nd time - and score a 750 (Q47 V47 IR8). Is this any good for my target schools or do I need to retake? (Is my Quant too low?)

I've revised my post career goals a bit as I want to go into strategy consulting, with the main focus on sales and marketing strategy. The goal is still to start my a firm at some point, though I think this career path will set me up in a better position to do so.

The schools I am looking at now: Kellogg, Kelley, UCLA, Duke.

Am I competitive? Any other schools I should consider?

I'm also contemplating looking at consulting services for my admissions process. Will I gain from doing this? Thanks!
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 456 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Profile evaluation and next steps [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 01:11
Expert's post
forevertfc wrote:
Hi,

I thought I would update this and ask for your assessment.

I wrote the GMAT today - for the 2nd time - and score a 750 (Q47 V47 IR8). Is this any good for my target schools or do I need to retake? (Is my Quant too low?)

I've revised my post career goals a bit as I want to go into strategy consulting, with the main focus on sales and marketing strategy. The goal is still to start my a firm at some point, though I think this career path will set me up in a better position to do so.

The schools I am looking at now: Kellogg, Kelley, UCLA, Duke.

Am I competitive? Any other schools I should consider?

I'm also contemplating looking at consulting services for my admissions process. Will I gain from doing this? Thanks!

Retake?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!???

After a 750?!?!?!

No way man!

Congrats!!!!

(Was that clear enough? :) )

Dude, a 750 is totally rock-on awesome. Don't even THINK about retaking. You have done the best thing you could in terms of showing your potential and academic capabilities.

Like I wrote, it won't totally efface your low GPA, and maybe H/S/W are out of range, but now I think there are lots of others that are in range. The next most important thing will be your story, esp. your story about your grades. You come across as very honest and straightforward, while simultaneously actually having some good reasons which would help explain your very low GPA. That plus your fantastic GMAT should help you a bit. Bu the schools will still have to be convinced about your future.

In terms of selecting schools, I think you are off to a good start. Since your goals are in management consulting, really any school could prepare you for this career. I think with great essays you could be competitive at these schools, although we can consider more schools that might be good for you too.

Consulting? Of course I think it would help. Especially in situations like yours, in which there is a big "blemish" in the application (but thankfully, only one), a great story and a great strategy can make a world of difference for you.

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | The Team | Get a Free Consultation | 2013-2014 Essay Analyses

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!