Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation and School suggestions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation and School suggestions [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 22:07
Dear Experts,

Requesting you to please provide a thorough feedback on my profile for the schools listed:

GMAT: 710 (QA-49, VA-38)

GPA: 76% , Bachelor in Information Technology from a tier 2 Engineering college in India.

Work Experience: 37 months and continuing, at a top Chinese ICT solutions provider.
Domain: Telecom\ICT
Position: Software Engineer, recently promoted to Senior Software Engineer
Role: Solution Architect
Provide BSS solutions, functional and architecture designs, and change management to telecom operators around the world.
Involves over 18 months of international work experience.
WestAfrica - 3 + 3 months
SEAsia - 3 months
UK - 4 + 3 months
EastAfrica - 3 months

Extra Curriculars:
More than two years of active involvement with AIESEC.
Last position held: VP Finance at a local committee.
Managed committee’s finances through book keeping, budgeting, ensuring timely audits by govt. certified auditor, etc.
Otherwise involved in facilitating international student exchange, running social projects, leading international interns in sales and marketing for events.
Strongly networked as an alumni now.

Demographic: Indian Male, Age 26

Target areas: Consulting - Strategy and operations/Corporate Restructuring/Turnaround management

Target Schools:
Stretch - Kellog, Haas
Target - Fuqua, Tuck, Stern
Safety - Darden ?

Major Questions:
1. Is the school selection appropriate as per the profile?
2. If not, which sections of the profile seem terribly weak?
3. I gave my GMAT with a preparation that spanned a little over 2 months as the work schedule is really grueling. I was away on an international assignment and had to prepare sporadically.
Main reason to speed up was to be able to apply to two stretch schools and two target schools in the first list itself, but my GMAT score expectations were around 740 with the lower bar of 720. With a 710, I'm not sure of my chances at the listed schools.
Is 710 a good enough score and is the profile strong enough to go ahead right now or should I forget about round 1 and apply in round 2 with an improved GMAT score?
Writing GMAT again will be a real challenge since I just got promoted that has piled up additional responsibilities.

Please advise.
Any additional ideas are much appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation and School suggestions [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 17:51
Expert's post
Hey there,

Overall, you have a pretty strong profile. No particular component stands out to me as weak. With what you've listed I'm guessing there are definitely some stories in there that could highlight some critical key themes. Also, your GMAT score, while not exceptional, is definitely above average.

At this point, you've kind of answered your own question. If your work is piling up, I don't see how you could do that AND study for a second round at the GMATs AND work on your R2 apps. Besides, a 710 is a solid score. If you had a more conventional background or profile, I'd suggest you consider retaking it but you have the opportunity here to stand out a little bit from the other applicants and I think that angle will take you a long way.

As for your school list, I wouldn't count Darden as a safety. Not only is it #12, it's also got one of the lowest rates of international students. What you haven't told me is why you WANT an MBA. If you could fill that blank in, it'd help me give you a better response.

Overall, however, I think your school list is ok but needs some tweaking. For one, Tuck and Haas are both stretches for your profile. Duke and Darden are more aligned but they're vastly different types of programs so it raises the question why they both made your list? You should also look to some schools in the 13/14 onwards range. For example, look at UCLA, Ross, Tepper, and McCombs. They're all still top 20 but definitely help diversify your risk a little bit.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile Evaluation and School suggestions [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2013, 05:17
Hi,

You have robust profile with decent GMAT and work experience along with international exposure. I would suggest you to dedicate good time for your applications no matter you submit in R1 or R2. The list of schools look little ambitious to me so you should also target some schools in top 20 range which is safe option. I don't think Darden would be safe based on your profile. Have you started working on your applications? You can still include Emory, Tepper, Kelley, UNC Kenan Flagler to your list. You can also use this tool to try your chances for top b-schools, visit http://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool

Regards,
Neha Singh

riteshmm wrote:
Dear Experts,

Requesting you to please provide a thorough feedback on my profile for the schools listed:

GMAT: 710 (QA-49, VA-38)

GPA: 76% , Bachelor in Information Technology from a tier 2 Engineering college in India.

Work Experience: 37 months and continuing, at a top Chinese ICT solutions provider.
Domain: Telecom\ICT
Position: Software Engineer, recently promoted to Senior Software Engineer
Role: Solution Architect
Provide BSS solutions, functional and architecture designs, and change management to telecom operators around the world.
Involves over 18 months of international work experience.
WestAfrica - 3 + 3 months
SEAsia - 3 months
UK - 4 + 3 months
EastAfrica - 3 months

Extra Curriculars:
More than two years of active involvement with AIESEC.
Last position held: VP Finance at a local committee.
Managed committee’s finances through book keeping, budgeting, ensuring timely audits by govt. certified auditor, etc.
Otherwise involved in facilitating international student exchange, running social projects, leading international interns in sales and marketing for events.
Strongly networked as an alumni now.

Demographic: Indian Male, Age 26

Target areas: Consulting - Strategy and operations/Corporate Restructuring/Turnaround management

Target Schools:
Stretch - Kellog, Haas
Target - Fuqua, Tuck, Stern
Safety - Darden ?

Major Questions:
1. Is the school selection appropriate as per the profile?
2. If not, which sections of the profile seem terribly weak?
3. I gave my GMAT with a preparation that spanned a little over 2 months as the work schedule is really grueling. I was away on an international assignment and had to prepare sporadically.
Main reason to speed up was to be able to apply to two stretch schools and two target schools in the first list itself, but my GMAT score expectations were around 740 with the lower bar of 720. With a 710, I'm not sure of my chances at the listed schools.
Is 710 a good enough score and is the profile strong enough to go ahead right now or should I forget about round 1 and apply in round 2 with an improved GMAT score?
Writing GMAT again will be a real challenge since I just got promoted that has piled up additional responsibilities.

Please advise.
Any additional ideas are much appreciated.

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Re: Profile Evaluation and School suggestions   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2013, 05:17