Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation and Suggestion on Re take.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.31
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 22

Profile Evaluation and Suggestion on Re take. [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 21:40
Hi All,

I am an Engineering Graduate with 4 years of Work ex in IT Industry (Infosys) in India. I want to join one among the following B schools (IESE,ISB,ASGM or NUS).
I gave GMAT on Dec 2013 and got a score of 650 with IR: 2 and AWA : 4. Please suggest my chances of getting into the above mentioned B schools if i re take and get a score of 700 + also please let me know what are the ways of upgrading my profile with in the next 6 months so that i would have an edge over competition.

I would like to Apply for these colleges in 2015 - 2016 batch. Please find below my Educational qualification.

10th : 74% (CBSE)
12th : 80% (Tamil Nadu board)
B.E : 71%.

I have recieved awards and laurels in my present company for performance and i would want to do an MBA from one among the Top 50 colleges.

Thanks in Advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 127 [1] , given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation and Suggestion on Re take. [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 07:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

Well certainly if you re-take and get a 700+, that will increase your admissions chances at these programs. The biggest challenge will be standing out from the competition, as there are so many Indian IT applicants.... so think about the general perceptions of applicants most like you (i.e., perhaps it's assumed you'll have strong technical, analytical, and quantitative skills.... but not necessarily leadership, management, communication, "people" skills). Work towards showing the sides of you that are LESS typical of someone with your profile. How HAVE you demonstrated leadership or teamwork? And the others l just listed? What does make you unique compared with similar applicants? Have your or can you get involved in the community? Etc. Good luck to you!

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 2

Re: Profile Evaluation and Suggestion on Re take. [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 22:06
This post received
KUDOS
Starting with your score, it’s a risk trying for your target schools as not only the score but also other factors are suggesting that and we would talk about them as well. Now, you have a decent amount of work experience but what matters is that it proposes your image as a candidate possessing strong leadership qualities. So try to take up responsibilities in your job where you get to enhance your leadership qualities. Also get involved into extracurricular activities as it forms an important part of the application and here also try to enhance your leadership skills. So being at your place I would definitely go for another take of GMAT aiming 720+ as it would also help open various other B-school options. So get started and Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.31
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 22

Re: Profile Evaluation and Suggestion on Re take. [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 05:44
InterviewBay2 wrote:
Starting with your score, it’s a risk trying for your target schools as not only the score but also other factors are suggesting that and we would talk about them as well. Now, you have a decent amount of work experience but what matters is that it proposes your image as a candidate possessing strong leadership qualities. So try to take up responsibilities in your job where you get to enhance your leadership qualities. Also get involved into extracurricular activities as it forms an important part of the application and here also try to enhance your leadership skills. So being at your place I would definitely go for another take of GMAT aiming 720+ as it would also help open various other B-school options. So get started and Good Luck!

Thank you so much "InterviewBay2". I have a lot going through my mind after reading this response , Thanks for the new perspective to think about.

Now i have different set of questions as i understand that a score "720" alone would not fetch me a decent chance. Do you think taking up a new job or switching to a different lane (BD or Business analyst for a Start up) would help diversify my profile and thereby provide an edge over competition ? not to mention that I would have less than 6 months of Experience when appear for the R1 of interviews ?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 127 [1] , given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation and Suggestion on Re take. [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 18:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
(please note that InterviewBay2 is not affiliated with mbaMission. Thank you! ;) )

I am not sure I followed all that Interview Bay was saying, but certainly it is true that schools are looking at the ENTIRE picture of who you are, and what you'll bring to the class, and much of that is based on your professional experience. It's tough to assess at this point/here, but within ANY job, you need to think back about.... where have you made an impact? big or small is fine. what have you achieved or accomplished? How have you influenced others? How have you worked on a team? how have you gone above and beyond what was expected? how have you shown any type of leadership? etc.

So think about that even within your past (or short term future) in your role now. That is most important. Let me know what other q's and concerns you have, and yes work on that GMAT as well. ;)

Jen Kedrowski
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php