Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 01:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation and suggestions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation and suggestions [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2012, 05:30
Hi

I need some help before i start writing my essays for the fall 2013 applications. I've been trying to connect my passion and interests with what I would do post MBA, partly because I'm still not clear as to what career is the right fit. I know this is something i need to figure out myself at this stage but i need some help with that

Any suggestions/references in this direction would be very helpful

Here is my Profile:

Hi I'm 31 year old Indian citizen in US with a work experience of 9 years in the IT field. Below are the details:

Work Exp

Total experience of 9 years in IT industry including 4 years in INDIA and rest in Microsoft Corp USA

Education

Mechanical engg from NIT Warangal India with a CGPA of 3.5

GMAT
740 (Q 50 V 40)

Interests outside work

I've been actively volunteering for a Non-Profit organization which works for the education of tribal children in India. As a volunteer I've successfully organized various events for fundraising over the past 4 years

Apart from this, Singing is my second profession. I'm the lead singer of a local music band in seattle. Through this band shows we have helped raise funds to help few other non-profit charitable orgs in India
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stratus Prep Admissions Consultant
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: Profile Evaluation and suggestions [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 11:49
Expert's post
Hi SrikrishnaChavali,

Thanks so much for writing in. I enjoyed reading your profile, and you certainly will make a competitive MBA candidate. Stratus Prep has a lot of experience working with Indian applicants who work at high tech firms. In fact, we have even worked with a number of Indian applicants who worked at Microsoft, many of whom have been admitted to Harvard Business School and Wharton among other top schools with our help.

You are absolutely right that the most important part of your application is your personal story and career vision. You could have perfectly written essays, but if your story is not compelling and unique, your application will not be successful. Finding a really effective career goal takes significant time and effort on your part as well as your admissions counselor. It is imperative that you are thus working with a true MBA admissions expert. And as you also mentioned, time is now of the essence especially with most Round 1 deadlines only 2 months away.

When my colleagues and I work with clients at Stratus Prep, we start out with an extensive and rigorous brainstorming/introspection process which includes a number of highly structured exercises that help our clients best position themselves for an MBA. Many clients come to us unsure of their career goals. By working with me and their admissions counselor, they are able to find an authentic career goal that they are passionate about pursuing (and that excitement for this differentiated career path makes quite an impression on the admissions committees while also often helping the applicant plan for their post-MBA career which is a great by product of our work together).

Given your high GMAT score and GPA, you are quite competitive, but your 9 years of work experience will make the application process more challenging. In addition, as an Indian from an IT background, you risk being pigeon-holed by admissions committees. Stratus Prep has extensive experience working with older applicants and those from IT backgrounds and could help ensure that your story differentiates you from these challenging and competitive applicant pools.

If you might like to work with our team to help structure an effective career plan and application, please private message me or email me at shawn.oconnor@stratusprep.com. I wish you all the best in your applications, and look forward to hopefully hearing from you soon.

Best,
Shawn

Shawn O'Connor
Founder/CEO, Stratus Prep
shawn.oconnor@stratusprep.com
212-307-1788
http://www.stratusprep.com

Re: Profile Evaluation and suggestions   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2012, 11:49