Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation and when/how to hire admission consultant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.71
WE: General Management (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Profile evaluation and when/how to hire admission consultant [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 07:52
Hi, please evaluate my profile:

I'm a 25 year old, Indonesian male
GMAT 710 (predicted, plan to take on late May)
GPA 3.72 (Bachelor of Medicine/MD) from top 5 university in the country
Several online courses on computer science, finance, and social sciences

Work experience
2 years internship as a resident doctor in top public hospital
1+ year (and running) as a cofounder and CTO at an award winning, VC funded mobile health technology startup

Extracuricular
Programming since 10
Classical guitarist and play in a band
Head of journalism club while in school
Active member in the startup community in Jakarta
Won several business plan competitions

Volunteer activities
Several months of teaching at underpriveleged areas
Family doctor at primary health care centers in poor villages
Organized several public health events (vaccination awareness, cervical cancer seminar, etc)

Reason for MBA
I was sort of disillusioned after med school. Figure out how little a single doctor can do in term of helping patients, when the healthcare system in Indonesia is pretty much broken. I started a mobile health company to try to solve that and it went pretty well but feel that I've reached the point where I need help. Hope that MBA will provide me the skills and knowledge to start a startup in health technology or biotech.

Target schools: Stanford, Sloan, Haas, HBS, Tuck

How are my chances?

Also, since I'm not a typical applicant and also not a native speaker I highly consider getting an admission consultant. However I don't have any idea on how to choose one and when to get help (after GMAT? after my first set of essays?). I plan to admit on round one next October.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [0], given: 30

Re: Profile evaluation and when/how to hire admission consultant [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 02:24
Expert's post
What are your chances? I would say pretty darn good!

I love your story of mobile health, and the efforts you have ALREADY made to make this happen, plus the very honest admission that you need help. You seem like someone with ambition, and vision, but who also keeps things practical. Plus your goals will ultimately help others, and this is something that Bschools LOVE. So use these wonderful stories to build your narrative as you present yourself tot he AdCom, and you should do fine!

I would however though maybe add one of two more schools to your list. There are a lot of really amazing programs in the top 20, and ones that specialize in both entrepreneurship and in Health/Pharma...

As for when to start working? Normally before you start writing. A good consultant can also just help you answer your questions about strategy: where to apply and when, and why... Plus will help you get started on your school research, and well, basically everything.

Feel free to drop us a line, we'd love to hear from you, and we can set you up with a free 30 minute phone consultation, so you can get at least some of your main questions answered:
http://www.precisionessay.com/services/ ... sultation/

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Profile evaluation and when/how to hire admission consultant   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2012, 02:24