Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation-Are my target schools achievable?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Profile Evaluation-Are my target schools achievable? [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2014, 04:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Indian Male 28 Years Old

Education - Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering from College of Engineering, Anna University (7.65 on a scale of 10)
Masters in Management (London School of Economics)
CFA Program. Will be applying for CFA Charter in Sept.

GMAT - 720 ( Q 49 V 40 , IR 7 and AWA 6)

Experience- Working in a UK Bank in London in their Portfolio Management division where I advice clients on structuring Corporate Debt. Specialize in clients in the Technology, Media and Telecom sector and Real Estate (Public Housing Builders and Educational Institutions)

Been promoted to Assistant Vice President in 2012 (2 Years after joining the bank) and currently interviewing to be promoted to Vice President in Sept 2014.

Extra Curriculars - Function as a Mentor for SEO and another Charity where I mentor and counsel children on their educational and professional development.

Also undertaken other leadership roles in UG and Masters Level.

Target Schools : Wharton , Columbia, Booth , Stern and Harvard

Why MBA- Ties out with my Short and Long Term goals but also to help upskill in the area of entrepreneurship, Leadership, Sales and Negotiation.

Short Term Goal - Work in Investment Banking specializing in TMT or Real Estate clients as I will be interested to leverage on the experience I have gained but also gain advisory experience and a more holistic approach to raising finance using different options.

Long Term Goal- Set up my own Boutique Investment Banking advisory firm in India specializing in one or both the above sectors.

Hence can you please let me know if the above schools are achievable with my profile for a Full Time MBA Program . I am mindful that my GMAT is marginally lower for Indian candidates and that I fall in the dual competitive pool of being an Indian Male and coming from a Finance Background. Age is another concern of mine. So will be interested to know if my profile and goals will stand out in the above schools or am I being too ambitious.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation-Are my target schools achievable? [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2014, 05:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hello,

True, you’re in the over-represented Indian group, but still, Indians in finance are in a much better position than Indians in IT!

To be competitive at your target schools, it’s not just WHAT and WHERE your job is, but also how your track record there compares to that of accomplished peers – are you a standout performer, with high achievement, leadership and impact? Also, do you have a good-to-stellar transcript from the master’s program? The more the answer is yes to these questions, the more competitive you would be at your target programs. I consider all of them except perhaps HBS to be reasonable reaches, assuming great applications.

And I emphasize and reiterate: you must turn in highly effective applications to these programs, showing your insight and making clear that you’ll bring much to the learning and social environment.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Advisor, Accepted
310-815-9553
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

Re: Profile Evaluation-Are my target schools achievable? [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2014, 00:56
Thanks for your detailed response Cindy. Quite helpful.